+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Wow, lil. 1/4 C of cayenne? You'd be taking me to the emergency room!

I haven't tried this recipe, but I'm going to make it this weekend after I pick up some pork tenderloin at the farmer's market. It's from the latest issue of Fitness Magazine.

Rosemary-Apricot Pork Tenderloin
    1 T country Dijon mustard
    1 T apricot fruit spread
    1 1lb pork tenderloin
    1/3 C dried apricots, chopped
    1 T fresh rosemary, chopped

Preheat oven to 450. coat a baking pan with nonstick spray. Combine the mustard with the fruit spread in a small bowl; microwave until the spread is soft. Make a lengthwise cut in the tenderloin about 3/4 of the way through; open the two sides like the pages of a book. Spread half the mustard mixture over one cut side of the pork; top with the apricots and sprinkle with half the rosemary. tie the roast closed every few inches with cooking string and place it seam side down on the baking sheet. Spread the remaining mustard mixture over the outside of the pork and sprinkle with half the remaining rosemary. Bake in the center of the oven for 24 minutes. Just before serving, remove the string and cut the roast diagonally across the grain into 1/2" slices. Sprinkle with the remaining rosemary.

I typed out all the instructions - obviously, you all know how to cut a darned roast however you want! The recipe was in a section where they listed the price per serving and this one is only $1.60 per serving Definitely great on a budget. Since I have fresh rosemary in my garden and a new jar of apricot jam that my aunt made, all I have to buy is the dried apricots and the pork. I'll report back after I make it, but I think it's going to be really yummy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3277255;
    doxie, I'd love to see the bourbon sauce.

Bourbon Sauce
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 stick butter
    1 beaten egg
    2 tbsp. Bourbon

Put sugar and butter in saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Add egg and stir rapidly so that egg does not "scramble". Add bourbon and stir until warmed through.

And while I am at it,

Lemon Sauce
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    Dash of salt
    Dash of nutmeg
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1 cup water

Bring water to a boil. Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg. Stir constantly until thick and clear. Add butter and lemon juice and stir until warmed through.

* warm lemon sauce on gingerbread is divine!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3277385;
    Wow, lil. 1/4 C of cayenne? You'd be taking me to the emergency room!
    No kidding! That's why I used much less than the recipe called for.

doxie, thanks for that bourbon sauce recipe! I'll be trying that one.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3277532;
    No kidding! That's why I used much less than the recipe called for.
    I got that recipe from someone at WW once (just looked at it to make sure) and I believe that's supposed to be 1/4 cup diced red peppers. A quick Google search confirmed it.

Ha! You're right. When I copied it from my aunt's cookbook, I wrote cayenne pepper. Thanks for the correction. I would have hated for someone to use 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Especially this "non-cook".

(I'd like to think that even I wouldn't have fallen for that mistake!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Clam Chowder?

doxie, thanks for that bread pudding recipe and the sauces! Mmmm! I'm going to try it with the lemon sauce...

Does anyone have a good clam chowder recipe? I found some online that I can try if all else fails. My friend makes a really good one but she'll never share the recipe. Whatever...

I would love a good Clam Chowder recipe too. I'm not a clam fan, but Mr. Doxie loves clam chowder and I'd like to be able to surprise him with something that is homemade
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Potato Clam Chowder

I looked at a bunch of recipes and ended up using this recipe as a template last night and then kind of just adlibbed, and it turned out really delicious. I served this with some rosemary bread from the bakery and it was a meal in itself. I saw online there are some crockpot recipes for clam chowder, too, but it looked like the bacon would be soggy then. Anyhow, I'll post their recipe and then add at the bottom what I did slightly differently...

Potato Clam Chowder

Ingredients:
    2 bacon strips, diced
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 (6 ounce) cans minced clams
    1 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon dried savory
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions:
    1. In a 3-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; set aside. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Drain clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Gradually add water and clam juice to pan; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and bubbly. Add salt, thyme, savory, pepper and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring often. Add bacon, clams, milk and parsley; heat through.

Allrecipes | Print Recipes

What I did differently:
    -- I used 3 strips of bacon instead of 2
    -- I used chicken stock instead of water
    -- I used half and half instead of milk
    -- I used 4 cans of clams instead of 2 and I added the clams in earlier than the recipe said to
    -- I have no idea what dried savory is and didn't have any in the house so I didn't include it
    -- You can add more chicken stock/water if you like your chowder less thick...and if you make it too thin, you can add a little more flour to thicken it back up
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 01-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.

MRD

I love bread pudding and make a Jack Daniels sauce to go with it. I've had computer problems and been offline for days, so glad Doxie could hook you up with the recipes.

Bread pudding is such great comfort food and can just be made with a lot of different stuff and it uses up stale bread too. I've seen it made with Krispy Kreme donuts and Giada de Laurentis made it with that Italian Christmas bread over the holidays. But I've even used cinnamon raisen bread when making it. It's so versatile. I've even had it with chocolate chips and chocolate sauce, etc.
    I have one recipe that calls for pineapple that is sooooo good.

Oh, I'm now in the mood for bread pudding.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread