+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I've never used the oven roasting bags but I do use the bags for the crockpot all the time. No cleanup to worry about I highly recommend them.

So I posted this before and hope someone will try it out. Truely amazing what cooking technique alone will do for food.

Pork Carnitas (we eat these on a tortilla with salsa and montery jack cheese)

Pork Butt-cut into large cubes (I remove any big chunks of fat but otherwise you do need to leave some on the meat)
    3 cups water

Put the pork butt into a dutch oven. Add water and cover. Simmer for 2 hours. The third and final hour uncover to let the water simmer away. The fat in the meat will render itself down and brown the meat.

That is it. Lovely tender full of flavour and texture pork carnitas. Sometimes I will add some salsa verde with the water to add extra spice to the pork.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

See above MRD for a great pork roast idea that is easy and different.

CHicken Tortilla Soup (great pantry recipe)

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup chunky salsa
    8 ounces corn tortilla chips
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)

DIRECTIONS
    In a large pot over medium heat, saute the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
    Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and pour soup over chips. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream.

Chicken Tortilla Soup V - Allrecipes

Grandma's Chili Mac

1 cup elbow macaroni
    1 pound ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
    1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
    2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
    1/8 cup brown sugar
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    In a small saucepan, simmer celery and green pepper with water to cover until tender; Drain.
    Place ground beef in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly brown. Add onion, and cook until tender and translucent. Drain excess fat. Add celery and green pepper. Stir in kidney beans, condensed tomato soup, diced tomatoes and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in macaroni.

Gramma's Old Fashioned Chili Mac - Allrecipes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My sister puts celery into her chili for the crunch/texture factor. I've always thought I'd use water chestnuts instead, but I haven't gone there yet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was feeling the need for comfort food today but not the typical high calorie stuff....I was craving my Mom's Italian Green Beans....

1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
    1/4 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
    Combine green beans and 1/2 cup water in a medium pot. Cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, and let beans cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well.
    Place beans in a medium serving bowl, and mix in bread crumbs, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and basil. Toss mixture until the beans are coated. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and serve.
    CYA

Those green beans sound wonderful Bunny555. I've been craving some really good fresh veggies.

For dinner tonight I'm making this szechwan shrimp. Got a good deal on the shrimp because of the holidays. I'm going to double the sauce amounts called for and serve over jasmine rice with some stir fried veggie-whatever is in the crisper.

4 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 teaspoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    12 ounces cooked shrimp, tails removed

In a bowl, stir together water, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, crushed red pepper, and ground ginger. Set aside.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in green onions and garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in shrimp, and toss to coat with oil. Stir in sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and thickened.

A request for suggestions.

Eight college friends (girls only, age 47) are gathering last weekend in January for low key girls' weekend. (We do this every 6 months or so. Sort of a Vintage BFF group!)

Seeking inspiration for delicious make-ahead main courses we two local hostesses could prepare, then quickly heat for serving Fri and/or Sat night, with easy sides. Any meats/seafood ideas are welcome. Ideas are great, favorite recipes even better. We want to spend our time going places and talk-talk-talking once the girls arrive, not standing in the kitchen.

No cans of soup allowed as ingredients though. (What my husband jokingly calls World War II food -- a time and place for that, but not these gatherings).

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3268989;

Eight college friends (girls only, age 47) are gathering last weekend in January for low key girls' weekend. (We do this every 6 months or so. Sort of a Vintage BFF group!)

Seeking inspiration for delicious make-ahead main courses we two local hostesses could prepare, then quickly heat for serving Fri and/or Sat night, with easy sides. Any meats/seafood ideas are welcome. Ideas are great, favorite recipes even better. We want to spend our time going places and talk-talk-talking once the girls arrive, not standing in the kitchen.

No cans of soup allowed as ingredients though. (What my husband jokingly calls World War II food -- a time and place for that, but not these gatherings).
    This is from "The Sun's (Vancouver, BC) Five-Star Recipes" which are a collection of the best recipes from Edith Adams Cottage. I have made this before and it is very nice.

Company Seafood Bake

Many variations can be used: try all crab, crab or shrimp, or crab and lobster. The original recipe called for light cream, but after a few tries, two percent milk was rich enough. The casserole may be frozen.

3/4 c butter, divided
    1 1/2 c uncooked long grain rice
    1/2 c golden raisins
    3 c chicken stock
    2 1/2 tsp salt, divided
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    2 cans (142 gm) of crab (or fresh)
    1 can (113 gm) shrimp, drained (or fresh)
    1/4 c dry sherry (NOT cooking sherry)
    1/4 c flour
    pinch pepper
    1/4 tsp dry mustard
    3 cups milk**
    1 cup grated Swiss cheese

Melt 1/4 cup butter in large saucepan. Add rice and cook gently, stirring constantly, until rice is golden brown. add raisins and chicken stock. Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer, covered 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is adsorbed. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt (I usually add less) and 1/4 tsp pepper; stir together lightly with a fork. Spread rice in greased three quart casserole.

Melt another 1/4 cup butter in large fry pan. Add mushrooms, curry powder and ginger and cook gently 3 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat and add crab, shrimp, 1/2 tsp salt and sherry; blend lightly and spoon over rice

Melt remaining 1/4 c butter in saucepan. Sprinkle in flour, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch pepper and mustard; blend well and remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Return to moderate heat and cook, stirring constantly, until smoothly thickened. Pour over seafood; life and loosen mixture gently with fork to allow sauce to penetrate. Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Bake at 375 25 minutes or until very hot.
    Makes 8-10 servings.

** I haven't made this in a while but I seem to recall I thought 3 cups milk was too much. I would start with 2 1/4 cups as you can always thin the sauce if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3268989;

Maybe you could do lasagna one night -- or pasta and different sauces, like a marinara and an alfredo -- and tacos the other night, so you'd just have to make the meat and set out the toppings and people could do their own.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Your girls week-end sounds fabulous jlccaz. I'm throwing out a recipe for tea sandwiches that can be served alongside any of your main dishes for dinner or served alone for lunch.

Seafood Tea Sandwiches:
    3/4 cup soft butter or cream cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped chives
    20 slices bread of your choice
    2 cups finely chopped crab, shrimp or lobster
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Combine the butter and chives and spread the mixture onto 1 side of each slice of bread. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl, then evenly spread the mixture over 10 of the bread slices. Top with the other 10 slices, remove the crusts, and cut. Makes 40 quarters or 30 fingers.
    CYA

MRD

Easy, fabulous meal. Not really make ahead, but it takes about 15 min. to make.

Buy small bay scallops and smallish peeled shrimp.
    Jar of good alfredo sauce
    Put alredo sauce in pan on stove and heat on med., add shrimp and scallops and let them cook in the sauce (doesn't take long unless you use really BIG shrimp).

Meanwhile, boil pasta noodles.
    Serve seafood alfredo over noodles, add a bag salad and a good bakery bread and it's a fabulous and easy and quick meal that is actually kind of fancy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread