+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3193244;
    Ellen - I tried your fig recipe last night - DELICIOUS!!! I used goat cheese instead and they were fantastic. I love figs! . . .
    Glad you liked them, Luvs! Yeah, chèvre is an unripened goat cheese, so it's really mild. I'd like to try the recipe again with a cheese that provides a little bit more contrast without overpowering the figs, so I'll be trying your variation after my next trip to Trader Joe's.

Your Zen Bar recipe looks good -- I want to try that one!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm going to be doing the "To Die For Pot Roast" tomorrow. I'm craving fresh mushrooms, so I guess I'm adding them. I'm not a big beef eater, so this is an adventure for me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Hey you guys, I have almost a whole gallon of milk (none of my guests drank as much as I thought they would) and I don't want to throw it out. When I bake, I use about a cup of milk at a time for various muffin/cake recipes. Can I freeze small amounts in Ziploc bags or what not and then thaw them out as needed for recipes? I realize that milk separates etc. and should be completely thawed for drinking, but I don't plan on drinking it. It'll be used strictly for baking stuff. I guess my question is, have any of you tried this and, if so, did whatever you baked taste OK or did it taste weird? (Usually I have powdered milk on hand for baking with since neither Mr. Lane nor I drink milk, but since we have all this milk leftover...) Thanks!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3193376;
    I'm going to be doing the "To Die For Pot Roast" tomorrow. I'm craving fresh mushrooms, so I guess I'm adding them. I'm not a big beef eater, so this is an adventure for me.
    You are going to LOVE it! Makes great gravy too, but dilute the liquid with some water in making gravy.

Lois, I freeze milk. So I would do it.
    I usually don't have much leftover, so I put it in ice cube trays and freeze it. Each cube is a tbsp.
    But I would think freezing it in 1 cup or 1/2 cup increments would be fine. Waste not, want not, you know.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    Hey you guys, I have almost a whole gallon of milk (none of my guests drank as much as I thought they would) and I don't want to throw it out. When I bake, I use about a cup of milk at a time for various muffin/cake recipes. Can I freeze small amounts in Ziploc bags or what not and then thaw them out as needed for recipes? I realize that milk separates etc. and should be completely thawed for drinking, but I don't plan on drinking it. It'll be used strictly for baking stuff. I guess my question is, have any of you tried this and, if so, did whatever you baked taste OK or did it taste weird? (Usually I have powdered milk on hand for baking with since neither Mr. Lane nor I drink milk, but since we have all this milk leftover...) Thanks!
    I'm sure you can, Lois. I freeze buttermilk that way because I never use it all up when baking with it, and not to be gross in the food threads, but at work we freeze mom's breast milk for their premature babies. For the buttermilk I measure 1 cup portions into Zip Loc freezer bags - I've used the thawed milk and it didn't notice any difference.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Thanks Marleybone. I think I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I'm going to measure out amounts and put them into Ziploc baggies and then freeze them and use them as needed later. I really hate wasting food...it just seems so wrong!

Premium Member

And... since we're on the subject of buttermilk, here's my yummy recipe for Buttermilk Pie. This is from The Fannie Farmer Baking Book.

1 prepared pie crust
    1 cup sugar
    3 Tbsp flour
    3 eggs (well beaten)
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 cup buttermilk
    3 Tbsp lemon juice (juice of about 1 lemon)
    Grated zest of 1 lemon

Mix sugar and flour in bowl. Mix eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, lemon juice and zest together and mix into flour/sugar mixture until well blended. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then lower the temp to 350F and bake 30 minutes more. When it's done, the filling will be puffed and almost set but will fall as the pie cools. Serve warm.

This is similar to a custard pie, but it's not too sweet - we've even had the leftovers for breakfast.

Premium Member

I often resort to using the pre-made crusts - I like the Pillsbury ready crusts, but here's an easy recipe that always turns out good if you want to make your own. I got this from a friend about 25 years ago.

Never Fail Pie Crust

1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp Crisco (I like to use the butter flavored Crisco)
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup cold milk

Mix Crisco, flour and salt together. Add cold milk, mix and roll out on waxed paper.

I can't remember if this makes enough for a 1 or 2 crust pie, it's been awhile since I've made it.

MRD

Lucy's mother's spoonbread is FABULOUS! I finally got the chance to make it tonight (no one else was home and I had the kitchen to myself which is a rarity now). Now that is what I call spoonbread. The stuff with whole kernal or creamed corn and sour cream is cornbread casserole to me, and not spoonbread.

Lucy tell your mom, it's been YEARS since I had spoon bread that good. Thanks a bunch for posting it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Haha, yay! I'm glad you liked it. Like I said before, it's an old, historic recipe, and perhaps those are truer to what the original food is supposed to be like.
    Last edited by Lucy; 09-09-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread