+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 91 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Bunny, I made the cranberry recipe with Grand Marnier and yummo! I don't eat it buy my husband is forever in your debt. Thanks

I'm glad he liked it Canuck
    CYA

I made this for Christmas dinner and it was the best. If you haven't tried it, you should!
    Spinach Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Luvsginger, I've had that before, it is delicious. My mom made it for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and we all loved it. It is a definite must try.

MRD

We've had that before too and it's fabulous. I like Gratins anyway and was getting tired of the potato ones when we tried the spinach one. Hmm, will have to give it another try. Thanks for reminding me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just buy three bags of frozen chopped spinach instead of the 5 boxes it calls for, much cheaper and easier! I can't wait to make it again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3258700;
    I just buy three bags of frozen chopped spinach instead of the 5 boxes it calls for, much cheaper and easier! I can't wait to make it again!!!
    I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I have never been disappointed by any of Ina's recipes. She is one of FN's best chefs.

My mom was in a cookie exchange with 11 other women and got these cookies. I ate all of them - only 5, but still. They were so delicious and very different from the usual Christmas cookie fare:

Orange Cranberry Drops
    ¼ C softened butter
    3 Tbsp orange juice
    1 tsp grated orange zest
    ½ c white sugar
    1 ½ c flour
    ¼ tsp baking soda
    ½ c chopped walnuts or almonds
    1 egg
    ½ tsp orange extract
    1 c dried orange flavored cranberries
    ½ c packed brown sugar
    ½ tsp baking powder
    ¼ tsp salt

Optional: extra sugar for rolling cookies; extra cranberries

Preheat oven to 375. lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, cream together sugars and butter. Stir in egg, orange juice, orange extract and orange zest. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into orange mixture. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets (optional: roll cookie dough into balls; then roll in sugar before baking. Decorate tops of cookies with dried cranberries). Bake 10-12 minutes, or until cookie edges are starting to brown. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
    * note: use a chilled baking sheet to prevent cookie bottoms from getting too brown.

The person who baked these rolled the cookies in sugar and put cranberries on top too.

I'm not familiar with orange flavored cranberries. Anyone know where to get them? I'd love to bake some of these myself.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

from Critical:
    I'm not familiar with orange flavored cranberries. Anyone know where to get them? I'd love to bake some of these myself.
    You can usually get orange-infused dried cranberries at Trader Joe's during the autumn and winter holidays.
    (But since the recipe contains both orange juice and orange zest, plain old dried cranberries would work just as well without a significant change in flavor.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Ocean spray makes a dried orange/cranberry you can buy in the regular grocery store. I've never had them, but I've seen them. They are with the other dried fruit. I would think that most cookies would call for a dried cranberry instead of fresh because the water content in the fresh cranberry would wreak havoc on the cookie during the baking process.

So i'm assuming that you would be using the dried cranberries and the orange flavored ones that Ocean Spray makes would work well.

Now I have to try these as I love both oranges and cranberries (and cookies) and they sound fabulous.

I had been giving a box mix from Bountiful Pantry that had cranberry snickerdoodles. So I made them last week and they were really good. Now I have no idea wher to find Bountiful Pantry mixes in case I want to try it again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread