+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

Good grief.......glad that I don't try to make something the moment I read it in this thread. The butter would have been all wrong.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I went to a Christmas party last night and these were served at it, and they were awesome. I asked the host for the recipe because I'm going to make them on Christmas. They look really easy to make and she said they were super simple, plus they looked so cute and elegant.

Shrimp Wonton Cups
    24 square wonton wrappers
    1 T. butter or margarine melted
    10 oz. shelled deveined and cooked medium shrimp
    2 green onions, finely chopped
    1/3 C. grated carrot
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
    1 C. (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. With pastry brush, brush one side of each wonton wrapper with melted butter. Press wonton buttered side up into muffin cup. Bake 8 minutes or until edges turn light golden brown. Remove pan from oven. Meanwhile, reserve 24 shrimp. Finely chop remaining shrimp.

Combine cream cheese, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in batter bowl, blend well. Stir in chopped shrimp, green onions, carrot and mozzarella cheese. Using small scoop fill each wonton cup with rounded scoop of cream cheese mixture. Top with reserved shrimp (At the party, she did not do this and they still looked great and you could taste the chopped shrimp in them).

Bake 5 minutes or until wontons are golden brown and filling is bubbly around edges.

Yield 24 appetizers.

I once did something similar YG, but with crab meat. It is delicious and so easy to make.

MRD

This is an easy and usually very popular dip. For Christmas I sprinkle chopped parsley on it so it's red and green.

1 8 oz package of cream cheese softened.
    1 bottle of cocktail sauce
    1 pound of crab meat chopped (I've used both the fresh and the fake crab)

Spread the cream cheese evenly over a dinner plate. Top with the cocktail sauce (It usually takes about 3/4 of the bottle). Sprinkle the crab on top. Serve with a dip spreader and crackers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Turtles
    2 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1/8 teaspoon of salt
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 lbs pecans
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup milk chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons shortening

In a large saucepan mix the first 4 ingredients. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Gradually add the milk and mix well. Cook to 248 degrees, (firm ball). Remove from heat and add vanilla. Fold in nuts and drop on wax paper or silpat. Chill. Melt chocolate chips with shortening and drizzle over. Makes approximately 4 dozen.

**My Notes** Getting the caramel to 248 degrees does take a bit of time so be patient. Once the turtles are done, don't store them in the cold, they will harden and are hard to eat. For melting the chips at the end, I just microwave, but you can do a double boiler if you are fancy like that.

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
    Refrigerator peanut butter dough
    Miniature peanut butter cups

Slice the cookie dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices. Cut each slice into 4 pieces and drop each piece in a greased mini muffin tin. Bake the dough at 350 degrees for just a few minutes, about 6 to 8 minutes or until it starts to brown. (It's easier if they are cooked then undercooked to get out of the tins). While they are cooking, unwrap the candies to place in them. When they come out of the oven, place a candy in each one.

When they are slightly cooled, you can remove them from the muffin tin. It does take them a few minutes to finish setting up, for some reason, my dark mini tin was easier to remove the cookies from then the lighter colored ones. I have no idea why.

These cookies are very easy but getting them out of the tins was stressful, they just weren't cooperating or I wasn't patient enough.

I've had that dip MRD and it is fantastic.....thanks for the reminder.
    CYA

These are a hit in my house and very easy to make:

Teriaki Nuts

2 c. plain (unroasted) almonds
    1/4 c. butter (not marg)
    2 T. soy sauce
    2 T. dry red wine
    1 tsp. ground ginger

Cook nuts at 300F for about 20 minutes on a cookie sheet. Melt other ingredients together in microwave. Pour over nuts then cook for another 20 minutes at 300F. Stir half way through. Put on brown paper bag (or some sort of paper to absorb the grease) and add garlic salt. Serve. Good warm or cold.

These got scarfed by my teenage nephews & niece. It's a twist on chocolate chip cookies, but as a bar cookie with merengue on top. I got this from Christmas-cookies.com.

Half Ways

3/4 cup shortening
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar -- divided
    2 eggs -- separated
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 1 tablespoon water
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    6 ounces chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix shortening, sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, egg yolks, baking soda, vanilla, flour, salt, and baking powder until it forms a stiff dough. [Note: I creamed the shortening/sugar/wet ingredients and sifted dry ingredients together before combining into a dough - just mixing them up in the order they give you here wouldn't work very well IMO.] Pat into the bottom of a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Spread chocolate chips over the dough. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add 1 cup of brown sugar and beat well. Spread over the chips. Bake 20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

They needed saltiness so when I made a second batch I added 3/4 cup of chopped pecans into the dough layer. Also, because of the merengue they don't keep very well, but if you make them and eat them the same day they are delicious!

Chess Cakes

Ingredients
    1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix
    1/2 cup margarine
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    8 ounces softened cream cheese
    confectioners' sugar

Directions
    1Melt margarine.
    2Mix 1 egg and cake mix with margarine.
    3Pat into 9x13-inch pan.
    4Mix remaining eggs, cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until smooth
    5Pour over mix in pan.
    6Bake at 350F for 30 minutes until center is done.
    7Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
    8Cut in squares and refrigerate until ready to serve.
    CYA

MRD

Thanks Bunny.
    I'm going to try it with the lemon cake mix and see how it turns out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread