+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 92 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Hi Bunny,
    The following recipe will be sure to please your guests along with clogging their arteries. But it is sooooo good! I got this recipe from a friend who originally copied it from a spouse cookbook of the Stanford's Business School Sloan Program.

Stuffed Mushrooms Supreme

1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.
    1 lb bacon
    1 small onion, minced
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese (softened)
    Mushrooms (depending on size, 4-6 dozen) Washed and stemmed.
    Seasoning salt (like Lawrys) and pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. Set aside and crumble when cooled. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
    Saute minced onions in bacon grease until soft. In separate bowl mix cream cheese and spinach. Add bacon bits and onions. Mix well and season with seasoning salt and pepper. Stuff mushrooms. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
    Note: Mushrooms release liquid when cooking, so use a pan with wide sides.

Enjoy!

Those sound soooo good.

Those stuffed mushrooms sound sooooo good! If anyone makes them please air mail me a dozen.

Here is the coconut pie recipe I had to go steal from Books a Million. Just kidding. I was able to get the recipe from a friend who actually has the Calling all Cooks cookbook I needed.

Easy Buttermilk-Coconut Pies

5 Eggs
    2 cups Sugar
    1 1/2 cups Flaked Coconut
    3/4 cups Buttermilk
    1/2 cup Melted Margarine
    2 Unbaked 9inch Pie Shells

Beat eggs slightly in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add coconut and buttermilk. Mix well. Stir in margarine. Pour into pie shells. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This recipe is so easy and the pies are delicious.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

MRD

And we were hoping to get the report on your clandestine operation at Books-a-million. I had pictured you in a black overcoat, hat and dark glasses as you furtively copied the recipe out of the book.

Here's a great recipe for a crowd and for a meal at home as it freezes well which is a good thing as it makes a lot. I make it and then have it in the freezer for a quick meal later.
    We're having it tonight, it's also a great cold weather dish and can be used as the main entree or a side dish and makes a great pot luck dish to take. Be warned, you need a big pot.

We call this Carolyn's Mother's Beans (she had 8 kids, 5 of which were boys. I'm betting she didn't freeze any. )

2 lbs of ground beef
    1 lb of bacon cut into small pieces
    1 onion chopped
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    1 very large can of bushes original baked beans, do not drain
    2 cans of navy beans drained
    2 cans of butter beans drained
    2 cans of pinto or kidney beans drained
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup yellow prepared mustard
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup of water.

brown hamburger, bacon, onion and garlic in pan. Add rest of ingredients and stir. Cook on low for 2 hours.

I don't use that much vinegar. And I taste it and will either add more ketchup or vinegar until it tastes "right" to me. You want a blend of sweet and savory. But not too sweet. The vinegar does help cut the sweet if you use too much brown sugar.

ETA: This is also one of those that as good as it is, everyone tends to have 2nds or 3rds, so separate bedrooms that night are usually a good thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just made these cookies the other day. We used 1.5 cups of coconut instead of the 2 cups it calls for. We used 2/3 - 3/4 cup sugar instead of 1 cup (we always reduce the amount of sugar in any recipe). I'd also really recommend that you refrigerate overnight and then leave it out for 15 minutes before you cut it. Otherwise, it falls apart when you cut.

Link: Coconut apricot icebox cookies

2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
    3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups (500 mL) sweetened, desiccated coconut
    1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped dried apricots or mango
    1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped almonds, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3232056;
    This a fantastic cranberry sauce for those looking to make their own. With a little Grand Marnier thrown in, how could it be bad?

1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur

Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cranberries in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle sugar, then orange juice concentrate over. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until juices form and cranberries are very soft, about 1 hour. Uncover; mix in liqueur. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, about 4 hours. Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Keep chilled.
    yield: Makes 2 cups
    I had to pop in here briefly to say that I just made this, and it is possibly the best cranberry sauce I've ever tasted. I've never really been a fan of cranberry sauce/relish, but this has made me change my mind. Thanks for the recipe, Bunny!

I was hoping it was going to be good because I almost fainted when I saw the price of that little bottle of Grand Marnier.

I thought about making this too but the Grand Marnier was so expensive but I did find an orange liqueur at Trader Joes that was just as good. Thanks for the recipe Bunny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;3241882;
    I had to pop in here briefly to say that I just made this, and it is possibly the best cranberry sauce I've ever tasted. I've never really been a fan of cranberry sauce/relish, but this has made me change my mind. Thanks for the recipe, Bunny!

I was hoping it was going to be good because I almost fainted when I saw the price of that little bottle of Grand Marnier.
    Oh I'm so glad you liked it! I know the Grand Marnier is pricey but there's a lot you can do with it. I make a cheesecake with it for Christmas and their website has a lot of drink and dessert recipes.
    CYA

Corn Muffins and Pudding

Here is a corn muffin recipe I got from Parade magazine in the Sunday paper a week or two ago. We made it today for Thanksgiving, and it is very, very good!

Corn Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 t salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 stick (8 Tbsp) butter, melted
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 large egg

1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter a muffin tin or drop a cupcake paper into each of the tin’s openings. (We used spray-on oil and ended up filling 8 openings, although I guess you could mound up the batter and fill 6, which is the number available in one regular-sized muffin or cupcake tin.)

2) Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to blend. Put the wet ingredients into another bowl and whisk to blend. Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix together until moistened. Spoon batter into the muffin cups.

3) Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

=====
    And here is a Corn Pudding recipe from Gourmet Magazine that my brother makes all the time at Thanksgiving. They don't do the whole recipe, but instead use vanilla extract instead of the bean, and they don't add the chives.

Corn Soufflé

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    2 cups milk
    4 large eggs
    1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped, reserving pod for another use
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    Garnish: 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 1 1/2 quart quiche dish or pie plate. In a food processor pulse half of corn until chopped coarse. In a bowl stir together chopped corn and remaining corn kernels and sprinkle with sugar and salt, stirring until combined well.

In another bowl whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla seeds, butter, flour and chives and stir into corn until combined well. Pour pudding into quiche dish or pie plate and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake pudding in middle of oven until center is just set, about 45 minutes. Garnish pudding with chives.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3242391;
    Oh I'm so glad you liked it! I know the Grand Marnier is pricey but there's a lot you can do with it. I make a cheesecake with it for Christmas and their website has a lot of drink and dessert recipes.
    Add a shot to hot chocolate and it makes the most devine hot chocolate ever.
    Contreau is also orange flavored and it's not as expensive. I do prefer Grand Marnier, but somethings can't afford it.

I ended up buying the cranberry sauce, but I think I'll make this for Christmas.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread