+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 92 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

I don't like to bake, but I think that even I could make that recipe work! Could I add a smidgen of bourbon??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3233198;
    I don't like to bake, but I think that even I could make that recipe work! Could I add a smidgen of bourbon??
    I don't really like to bake either. I'm going to try that pie, add a touch of bourbon to it AND probably drink a bit of bourbon while I am waiting for it to bake! Yum!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If I drink the bourbon, somebody would probably end up having to call the fire department when I've passed out and there is heavy smoke in the kitchen!! But I do enjoy bourbon balls! If you make it with the bourbon, be sure to report back!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes, let me know how it is with bourbon! It's very easy, the pie, and soooo good.

Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie

Pumpkin Ice Cream (I made mine using Ben and Jerry's recipe, which is at my parents' house. I can post that the next time I'm there, if you'd like it. We have a 4 quart ice cream machine so I made a double batch, but didn't come close to using all of it. In fact, I'll easily have enough for another pie.)

Crust:
    30 ginger snap cookies, crushed
    1/4 C. butter -- I would consider using another 1-2 T. the next time around.

For the crust:
    Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter. Pour cookie crumbs and butter into pie plate. Mix until crumbs and butter are combined, and then pat into sides/bottom of pan. Bake crust for 7 minutes. Cool completely.

Scoop ice cream into crust and smooth top. Freeze until you are ready to serve.

Here is the Scalloped Potatoes Recipe (It's a Rachel Ray):

2 cups milk
    3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
    Salt
    3 pounds baking potatoes, preferably Idaho, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    3 ounces Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated (about 3/4 cup)
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    Black pepper
    1 cup heavy cream

1. Place a rack in the top half of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water with the milk, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring ocassionally to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are tender but still slightly firm, about 8 minutes.

2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and using a slotted spoon, transfer half the potatoes to a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish; arrange the potatoes in an even layer. Sprinkle with half the cheese and the cayenne; season with salt and pepper to taste. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Pour the heavy cream evenly over the top. Bake the scalloped potatoes until golden and crisp on top, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Newbie

Mariner, thanks for posting the Scalloped Potatoes recipe. It sounds really good. When I try it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

We always had this for Thanksgiving when I was growing up. It was my Grandma's recipe. It's very easy and a real crowd pleaser.

Icebox Cake

Large size package of Jello, Mytifine or Royal chocolate pudding (NOT instant, has to be the kind you stir and cook)
    Milk for the chocolate pudding
    1 1/2 - 2 Bananas
    1 1/2 - 2 packages of ladyfingers
    1 c. heavy cream, whipped (w. 1/2 tsp. vanilla + 1/2 tsp. sugar)

Prepare the chocolate pudding according to package directions. Use either 2% or whole milk - it doesn't come out well with skim or 1% lowfat milk.
    Assemble ladyfingers and top with some banana slices at the bottom of trifle dish, 8" square pan, or 13" x 9" pan. Add a layer of cooked chocolate pudding, then another layer of ladyfingers and bananas. Add another layer of chocolate pudding. Your final layer will be the fresh whipped cream. Put some banana slices on top and refrigerate until serving. Makes about 8 - 10 servings.

Missyboxers - Thanks for posting the recipe!

The scalloped potatoes sound delicious Mariner. Since I don't have a favorite recipe for those, I'm going to try yours the next time I bake a ham. Love ham with scalloped potatoes.

ETA: The icebox cake looks easy and tasty noreality
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread