+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I had to dig this one up in the old Recipes thread. Here's another corn pudding recipe:
    Grandma's New England Corn Pudding

Melt: 3 TB Butter
    Add: 3 TB flour
    1 Tsp salt
    Add: 1 cup milk and stir until thick and smooth.
    Add: 1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese
    2 TB minced onion or chives
    2 cups corn
    4 eggs, slightly beaten

Mix and turn into a buttered casserole. Set in shallow pan of water. Bake about one hour at 350 degrees.
    This really is the highlight of Thanksgiving for me. The friend who brings it bakes it in a red, heart shaped Le Creuset pan. So cute.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interesting. I've never had corn pudding that wasn't sweet. Never have liked it, either.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3226787;
    I went to the Farmers Market today and picked up leeks, potatoes and onions and made a delicious Potato and Leek soup. Here is the recipe but the link provides step by step photos of what the soup is supposed to look like. I've never made this soup before, actually I've never even tasted it before. It was perfect for the weather we are having in San Francisco....very rainy!!!

A Hearty Potato Leek Soup Recipe for the Last Days of Winter Pinch My Salt

Potato Leek Soup
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 leeks, thinly sliced*
    1 medium or large onion, chopped
    6 - 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced**
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes)
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt to taste
    fresh ground black pepper to taste
    1) Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly brown.
    2) Add sliced potatoes to saucepan then pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reached. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching on the bottom.
    3) Add one cup of heavy cream (or more if you desire) and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.
    Notes: *Make sure to clean leeks thoroughly and slice only the white and light green part of the leeks. **You dont need to peel the potatoes as the peels add to the rustic texture of the soup. But make sure to scrub them thoroughly and remove any obvious blemishes before slicing. Although we always make it with chicken broth, this can easily become a vegetarian soup by simply using vegetable broth instead.

Let me just say that this is FABULOUS!!!!! I added about 2 cups of diced ham and sauted it with the butter first.
    My husband who will eat soup, but it isn't a favorite of his, LOVED this! I'm not sure what his problem is with soup. I love soup and make it often. I will be adding this one to my collection. Thanks for posting it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Glad you liked in MRD did you use the leeks, too?

MRD

Yes, I made the soup exactly like the recipe, just added in the ham.

This a fantastic cranberry sauce for those looking to make their own. With a little Grand Marnier thrown in, how could it be bad?

1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur

Preheat oven to 325F. Place cranberries in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle sugar, then orange juice concentrate over. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until juices form and cranberries are very soft, about 1 hour. Uncover; mix in liqueur. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, about 4 hours. Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Keep chilled.
    yield: Makes 2 cups
    CYA

MRD

A THanksgiving favorite in our house (and good the next day on turkey sandwiches

Mama Lucy's Stuffed Lettuce

1 medium head of iceberg lettuce, washed, and hollowed out to form an open "bowl". (hollow out from the bottom, reserve some of the bigger leaves you take out.

1 cup shredded cheddar
    1/2 c. mayo
    1/4 tsp. curry powder
    1/2 c. chopped ham
    2 tbsp. chopped celery
    2 tbsp. chopped pimento
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Combine cheese, mayo and curry powder in a mixing bowl. Mix well, add ham, celery, pimento and parsley. Stir well. Scoop entire contents into lettuce shell. Cover hole with reserved lettuce leaves. WRap TIGHTLY with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours.
    To serve, remove wrap and slice lettuce into slices and arrange on platter. It's very pretty with the cheesy color inside the green lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3232326;
    A THanksgiving favorite in our house (and good the next day on turkey sandwiches

Mama Lucy's Stuffed Lettuce

1 medium head of iceberg lettuce, washed, and hollowed out to form an open "bowl". (hollow out from the bottom, reserve some of the bigger leaves you take out.

1 cup shredded cheddar
    1/2 c. mayo
    1/4 tsp. curry powder
    1/2 c. chopped ham
    2 tbsp. chopped celery
    2 tbsp. chopped pimento
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Combine cheese, mayo and curry powder in a mixing bowl. Mix well, add ham, celery, pimento and parsley. Stir well. Scoop entire contents into lettuce shell. Cover hole with reserved lettuce leaves. WRap TIGHTLY with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours.
    To serve, remove wrap and slice lettuce into slices and arrange on platter. It's very pretty with the cheesy color inside the green lettuce.
    That sounds so good. I think I might give it a trial run this weekend. I hate to try something for the first time on a holiday or special occasion, in case I screw it up.

MRD

I love this and yet only make it on Thanksgiving. I don't know why I can't make it any other time. It's easy too. And looks so nice when you slice the lettuce to see the slices with the filling wrapped in lettuce.

This pie is particularly good warm, and I love it with ice cream on top!

Toll House Pie

1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie shell
    2 large eggs
    1/2 C. all purpose flour
    1/2 C. granulated sugar
    1/2 C. packed brown sugar
    3/4 C. butter, softened
    1 C. (6 oz) Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 C. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F. Beat eggs in a large mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in butter. Stir in morsels and nuts. Spoon into pie shell.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between outer edge and center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

+ Reply to Thread