+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 91 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I went to the Farmers Market today and picked up leeks, potatoes and onions and made a delicious Potato and Leek soup. Here is the recipe but the link provides step by step photos of what the soup is supposed to look like. I've never made this soup before, actually I've never even tasted it before. It was perfect for the weather we are having in San Francisco....very rainy!!!

A Hearty Potato Leek Soup Recipe for the Last Days of Winter — Pinch My Salt

Potato Leek Soup
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 leeks, thinly sliced*
    1 medium or large onion, chopped
    6 - 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced**
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes)
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt to taste
    fresh ground black pepper to taste
    1) Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly brown.
    2) Add sliced potatoes to saucepan then pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reached. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching on the bottom.
    3) Add one cup of heavy cream (or more if you desire) and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.
    Notes: *Make sure to clean leeks thoroughly and slice only the white and light green part of the leeks. **You don’t need to peel the potatoes as the peels add to the rustic texture of the soup. But make sure to scrub them thoroughly and remove any obvious blemishes before slicing. Although we always make it with chicken broth, this can easily become a vegetarian soup by simply using vegetable broth instead.

My daughter is coming home from college for a short visit this weekend and since she is not coming home for Thanksgiving she asked me to make Thanksgiving dinner this Sunday. She asked that I make corn pudding. It is something I normally make for Christmas but it goes well with the turkey and fixings just as well.

Corn Pudding
    Preheat Oven 350 - total bake time - one hour.

4 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    2 17-oz cans cream corn
    1 12oz can whole corn (drained)
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 Tablespoons cornstarch
    1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
    1 teaspoon instant minced onion

Lightly grease 12x8x2 casserole dish (I use a deeper dish than the recipe calls for, just mix more often)

Place eggs in bowel and beat until light and fluffy, add milk and blend well. Mix corn and melted butter and stir until combined. In separate bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, onion, seasoned salt and mustard. Add to corn mixture and mix well. Add egg mixture until well blended. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Stir and bake 30 minutes longer.
    Enjoy!

That Corn Pudding sounds delightful! I'm going to try that.

I recently asked my mother for the recipe for Minestrone Soup that she always made when I was a child. After she stopped laughing, she informed me that it was actually Campbell's that made it...

So, I embarked on a search and found the recipe below. We had it last night and it is REALLY good! Very easy too.

Minestrone Soup
    Six Servings

4 tbs. butter/margarine
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1 1/2 cups cubed pototoes
    1/2 cup shredded cabbage
    1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
    1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes
    1 tbsp. tomato paste
    1 quart chicken broth
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbs. dried parsley
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup elbow macaroni or other pasta
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Melt butter/margarine in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Saute for a few minutes

Add beans, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, potatos, stock, garlic, parsley and salt to pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for app. 1 hour or until vegetables are barely tender.

Add pasta and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve topped with Parmesan.

*We left out the cabbage and added extra carrots and celery. We also ate it with wedges of cheese and crackers instead of topping it with Parmesan. I think that it would freeze well too. Enjoy!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Gee, thanks. Now my stomach is growling!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Doxie, that recipe sounds good. I'm going to print it and add it to my winter soup recipe collection.

Spelt Muffins

2-1/4 cups Spelt Flour
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    1-1/4 cups Milk
    3 Eggs, beaten
    1 Tbsp. Oil

Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease and flour 12 muffin cups. Combine all dry ingredients, including brown sugar. Beat together the milk, eggs and oil. Mix with dry ingredients just enough to moisten. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 17 minutes, or until light brown in color.

*Honey can replace brown sugar. Add to wet ingredients while mixing.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    One muffin contains Calories 130, Calories from Fat 30, Total Fat 3.5g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g, Protein 5g.

Looking over this recipe is different from the one I made. I used 2 eggs instead of 3. 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of 1/4 cup, and 2 teaspoons canola oil.
    Last edited by livin4reality; 11-05-2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: change
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3228765;
    Spelt Muffins

2-1/4 cups Spelt Flour
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    1-1/4 cups Milk
    3 Eggs, beaten
    1 Tbsp. Oil

Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease and flour 12 muffin cups. Combine all dry ingredients, including brown sugar. Beat together the milk, eggs and oil. Mix with dry ingredients just enough to moisten. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 17 minutes, or until light brown in color.

*Honey can replace brown sugar. Add to wet ingredients while mixing.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    One muffin contains Calories 130, Calories from Fat 30, Total Fat 3.5g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g, Protein 5g.

Looking over this recipe is different from the one I made. I used 2 eggs instead of 3. 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of 1/4 cup, and 2 teaspoons canola oil.
    Dumb question maybe. What is "spelt flour"?

ETA: I just came across the post in another thread that explains what spelt is. I'm interested because my granddaughter *may* have celiac disease and I've been scouring the internet for information and recipes. We won't know for sure yet until the blood work comes back though.
    Last edited by Lil Bit; 11-06-2008 at 12:05 PM.

This is my favorite basic pesto sauce, posted especially for Prhoshay!
    Basic Pesto Sauce

Ingredients
    3 cloves garlic
    1 large bunch Basil leaves (about 2 cups)*
    1/3 cup pine nuts (toast them first)
    kosher salt
    fresh ground, black pepper
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions
    Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
    Mince the basil leaves. (I don't bother)
    Blend garlic, basil, and 1/2 cup olive oil, and cheese in a food processor or blender. Use low speed and stop often to stir.
    Gently blend in remainder of olive oil and the pine nuts.
    Let sit for an hour before using.

*If any of you shop at Trader Joes, one container of their basil leaves is perfect for this recipe.

MRD

I tried using toasted walnuts one day as that is what I had and let me tell you how much better my pesto turned out! Mama Mia!!!! I like it with Pine nuts, but I LOVE it with walnuts. Mine is very similar to yours. I also add a dash of lemon juice to mine.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

These are the best dinner rolls and the leftovers are great with jam for breakfast!
    I got this recipe from Emeril whose recipes are somewhat intimidating at times but this one is pretty simple. I know it seems like it is a lot of effort for dinner rolls but they are out of this world good! Experiment with it on a cold Sat or Sunday and you will get the hang of it. I have left the rolls out to rise over night (step four) and they get really big!

Cloverleaf Dinner Rolls

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup plus 2 tsp butter
    3 Tablespoons dry milk
    3/4 cup plus 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 (1/4 oz) package active dry yeast
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    4 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Step one: In a small saucepan over med heat combine the milk, 1/4 cup of the butter, dry milk, 3/4 cup of the sugar and the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the sugar has disolved, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to lukewarm before proceeding.

Step two - In a large mixing bowl dissolve the yeast and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in 1/4 cup of warm water (110 degrees). Add the eggs and stir to combine. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Using a wooden spoon, add the flour 1 cup at a time. The dough will be quite stiff and somewhat sticky. If the dough gets too stiff to stir with a spoon, use your hands to mix.

Step three - Lightly grease the inside of a large bowl with 1 tsp of the remaining butter. Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn to coat. Lightly grease a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap with the remaining tsp of butter and use it to cover the bowl. Set aside in a warm place until doubled in size, at least two hours.

Step Four - Melt remaining 1/4 cup of butter and transfer to a small bowl to cool. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic - about 2-3 minutes. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 35 equal pieces. Tuck the cut edges of each piece under so as to form a smooth round ball of dough. Place 3 balls of dough side by side into each well of a muffin tin. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top of each roll with some of the melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about an hour.

Step Five - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake the dinner rolls in the center of the oven until golden brown and puffed, about 18-20 minutes. Makes 12 super sized rolls!
    Serve warm with your favorite jam for breakfast or with butter with dinner.

Enjoy!!!

+ Reply to Thread