+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I just made this recipe for a small Canadian thanksgiving meal (just us four). It's a little sweet, but delicious.

Butternut squash and apple soup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 teaspoon allspice
    4 1/4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 Gala apples, peeled, cored, diced
    Light sour cream or plain yogourt

Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and allspice. Sauté until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add squash, broth and apples. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until squash and apple are tender, about 30 minutes. Using a stick blender, puree soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with sour cream or yogourt.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3216653;
    I just made this recipe for a small Canadian thanksgiving meal (just us four). It's a little sweet, but delicious.

Butternut squash and apple soup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 teaspoon allspice
    4 1/4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 Gala apples, peeled, cored, diced
    Light sour cream or plain yogourt

Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and allspice. Sauté until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add squash, broth and apples. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until squash and apple are tender, about 30 minutes. Using a stick blender, puree soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with sour cream or yogourt.
    Your butternut squash/apple soup sounds so wonderful! I will attempt to make this recipe this fall! They now sell (near me) the butternut squash already peeled and chopped. We used to have a restaurant near us that served a butternut squash soup in a "small carved out pumpkin" around this time of year. I'll bet this will be the closest recipe that matches their secret recipe! Thank you for sharing!

That sounds good, DR. I'm wiped out from cooking over the past few days, and I'm not done yet - I have a turkey pot pie to finish for supper tonight. I made a soup as well, from a gas company recipe sheet that was posted at work. I rarely make soups but this one turned out absolutely delicious.

Turkey Sage Chowder

5 slices bacon, julienned (I didn't use quite as much, maybe 3 slices)
    2 cups chopped onions
    2 cups homo milk (I haven't bought whole milk since my kids were infants - I used 1&#37
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can chicken broth
    2 tsp sage, crumbled (I didn't have fresh, I just used the jar from the spice rack)
    1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
    2 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey

Cook bacon in Dutch oven until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; set aside. Drain off all but 2 tbsp fat from the pan. Add onions and saute until tender. Stir in milk, soup, broth, sage and pepper; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes). Stir in turkey and bacon. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Serves 4-6.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I rarely use homogenized milk either and never notice the difference. The potatoes would make it thick enough.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I went to a party at a fellow co-workers house a few weeks ago and he served these and they were wonderful............. I'm drinking one now

Margaritas

1 large can (12 oz) frozen limeade
    12 oz. diet 7-up (can use diet Sprite or similar)
    12 oz tequila
    2 Corona lite beers

Mix together and serve
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I made these today. First time making carnitas and oh my gosh they were slap your granny good! I think it is more in the technique of how you cook the pork. I didn't have orange juice so I added a can of salsa verde. If you do make these read the whole blog entry and as usual some great photos.

Homesick Texan: Carnitas, Houston style

Carnitas (adapted from Diana Kennedy)
    Ingredients:
    3 pounds of pork butt
    1 cup of orange juice
    3 cups of water
    2 teaspoons of salt

Method:
    1. Cut pork into strips (three inches by one inch), bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered on low for 2 hours. Do not touch the meat.
    2. After two hours, turn heat up to medium high, and continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the pork fat has rendered (about 45 minutes). Stir a few times, to keep pork from sticking to bottom of pan.
    3. When pork has browned on both sides, it’s ready (there will be liquid fat in the pan). Serve either cubed or shredded (pork will be tender enough that just touching it will cause it to fall apart).
    Goes very well with a green salsas such as Ninfa's green sauce or this tomatillo salsa or this salsa verde with avocados and tomatillos.
    Serves 4-6
    Last edited by livin4reality; 10-18-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: to add recipe
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

To the Point

Made the Teriyaki Crock Pot Pork Roast yesterday. I went pretty much by the recipe. I did add a large onion sliced and placed under the pork. They tasted a lot like caramelized onions and I will add at least two next time. I will probably reduce the amount of brown sugar next time just because I thought it was a bit too sweet, however, my family loved it.

FORT Fan

<<<Made the Teriyaki Crock Pot Pork Roast yesterday. I went pretty much by the recipe. I did add a large onion sliced and placed under the pork. They tasted a lot like caramelized onions and I will add at least two next time. I will probably reduce the amount of brown sugar next time just because I thought it was a bit too sweet, however, my family loved it.>>>

I made it last week as well, and my family loved it also. The problem I had was making the gravy at the end- mine was just so thin but it still tasted good. I was wondering if a pot roast or some other kind of red meat would work as well with this recipe?

To the Point

[QUOTE=Mikesgal;3220203I made it last week as well, and my family loved it also. The problem I had was making the gravy at the end- mine was just so thin but it still tasted good. I was wondering if a pot roast or some other kind of red meat would work as well with this recipe?[/QUOTE]

I think it would go really well with chicken and intend to give it a shot. A red meat might be fine. It would be different, but I still think I'd give it a try. I added everything at the beginning, even the cornstarch. It thickened up nicely without being too thick.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3220344;
    I think it would go really well with chicken and intend to give it a shot. A red meat might be fine. It would be different, but I still think I'd give it a try. I added everything at the beginning, even the cornstarch. It thickened up nicely without being too thick.
    You put the cornstarch in with the apple juice and soy sauce? That's what I will do next time.

+ Reply to Thread