+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 91 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3211615;
    Hey MRD I was assembling the crockpot chicken this morning and I remembered a couple of things that I tweak from the recipe - maybe this will help you out. I don't use melted butter as it calls for - I have better luck slicing up a little over a stick of butter (maybe 1+1/4 sticks?) and lay those over the stuffing to cover the entire area. I have found that by pouring the melted butter over the top, not all of the stuffing gets covered. Whether that is because my technique is lame or the recipe just doesn't call for enough butter, I don't know. I add slightly over 1/4 cup of milk to the cream of mushroom soup also. Let me know if that helps you out next time. And sorry I forgot about that when I cut/pasted the recipe to this thread.
    Thanks. I had made this before and it came out great. But my chicken breasts were still partially frozen, so maybe that's why there was a problem this time. But I like the idea of not melting the butter (just another step in my opinion and another dirty dish. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm making this meal today or tomorrow, so I'm glad these little nuggets of knowledge appeared when they did! We all know I need all of the help that I can get!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I never thought I'd be posting a recipe just because well, cooking isn't exactly my strong suit I can't take credit for this as I got it from another site (thanks to Januarybride for posting) but this was so yummy! It was super easy, made awesome leftovers and we just loved it.

Teriyaki Crock Pot Pork Roast

Ingredients
    1 (3-4 lb) boneless pork shoulder, trimmed (3 to 4 pounds)
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
    1/3 cup soy sauce...I used lite
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons cold water
    1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger (optional) ...I used almost 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
    1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional) ...I used closer to 2 tsp jarred

Directions
    1. Cut roast in half; rub with brown sugar. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
    2. Pour apple juice and soy sauce over roast.
    3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    4. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat is tender... Mine cooked almost 8 hours just cause my crock pot doesn't have a 6 hour setting
    5. Remove roast; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
    6. Meanwhile, strain cooking juices and return to slow cooker. Increase temp to high.
    7. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into juices in slow cooker.
    8. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
    9. Slice pork; serve with gravy.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

It's Canadian Thanksgiving coming up this weekend and I'll have a houseful My daughter is bringing home 6 friends from University so there shouldn't be a dull moment. I usually make 2 kinds of pies for dessert, but even though everyone says they love Pumpkin, the Apple always disappears first. This year I found a great recipe from "The Best of the Best" (Best of Bridge Series) for a Pumpkin Cheesecake and I'm going to try it. It serves more and I know my kids (and probably their friends) enjoy Cheesecake.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

Ginger Snap Crust

1 c. crushed ginger snaps
    3 T. butter, melted
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    2 T. brown sugar

Filling

4- 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    5 eggs
    1/4 c. flour
    2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice OR equal parts ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
    14 oz. can pumpkin
    2 T. rum
    1 c. whipping cream, whipped

Crust: Combine ingredients. Lightly grease a 10 inch (25 cm) springform pan and line bottom with crumb mixture. Pat firm and chill.

Filling: Preheat oven to 325F. Beat softened cream cheese till fluffy. Slowly beat in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour, spices, pumpkin and rum. Pour batter over crust. Bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, or till filling is set. Cool for an hour. Refrigerate several hours. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Serves 10-12.

Canuck, can you just make that cheesecake and mail one to me? I don't like to bake...however, that recipe looks like it just might be quick & easy enough for me to try on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3211811;
    Thanks. I had made this before and it came out great. But my chicken breasts were still partially frozen, so maybe that's why there was a problem this time. But I like the idea of not melting the butter (just another step in my opinion and another dirty dish. )
    mrd, I make this dish quite often, at least once a month, and I don't melt the butter/margarine either. I've also used partially frozen chicken breasts and I find that if you cook them on low for about 3 hours and then turn it up to high for about 3 more, it works fine.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3214226;
    Canuck, can you just make that cheesecake and mail one to me? I don't like to bake...however, that recipe looks like it just might be quick & easy enough for me to try on my own.

mrd, I make this dish quite often, at least once a month, and I don't melt the butter/margarine either. I've also used partially frozen chicken breasts and I find that if you cook them on low for about 3 hours and then turn it up to high for about 3 more, it works fine.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

Maybe I should have posted about this in the kitchen disaster thread. I dont' often have disasters, but when I do, they are usually ones where we end up having to order pizza. At least I could rescue the chicken in this one, but the stuffing was a complete loss. DOA, no resusitation.

MRD

Got these fabulous recipes from a co-worker who is also going to culinary school.

I'm making them for all my moving helpers this weekend.

These are really a cross between a muffin and a cupcake without frosting. But the spread is also DIVINE.

Applesauce "cupcakes"

1/2 C butter at room temerature (1 stick)
    3/4 C packed brown sugar
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    3/4 C unsweetened applesauce
    2 C self-rising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp ground ginger*
    1/2 tsp ground cloves*

* I used cinnamon and allspice instead. Pumpkin pie spice would also be tasty in this.

Streusel topping

Mix equal parts flour, brown sugar and plain oatmeal/rolled oats with melted butter and a touch of honey. (I usually just "eyeball" this because I like a good bit of streusel on mine; more so than what the recipe calls for.)

-Sift flour, baking powder, and spices together
    -Cream the butter and brown sugar together until well combined with an electric mixer
    -Add the egg
    -Mix in the applesauce and blend well
    -Add the flour mixture in (1/3 at a time) and do not over mix.
    -Fill lined muffin tins about 2/3 of the way with batter and top with streusel as desired
    -Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes

Orange and Honey Cream Cheese Spread

2 8oz packages cream cheese (at room temp)
    1 Tbsp orange zest
    1-2 Tbsp orange juice
    3 Tbsp honey (add more to thin the mix if needed)

-Combine all ingredients and blend well

Crockpot "Stew"

I lb of ground beef or turkey
    4 chopped potatoes or sweet potatoes (I like to use 2 of each)
    1 cup of chopped carrots
    I can of peas
    1 small chopped onion
    1 can of condensed tomato soup
    1 pinch of sage, thyme, and basil
    salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef or turkey in skillet (season with salt and pepper) and drain fat. Layer crockpot with potatoes, carrots, peas, onions, and ground beef or turkey. Pour tomato soup over top, fill tomato can with water and pour over top. Season with sage, thyme, and basil and salt and pepper. Set crockpot on low for four hours or high for two hours. Stir every so often.

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1 cup canned pumpkin puree
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups confectioners' sugar
    3 tablespoons milk
    1 tablespoon melted butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
    In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
    To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

Iced Pumpkin Cookies - Allrecipes
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Crockpot Chicken Stew

I've been making a variation of the "To Die For Pot Roast" but using chicken breast and just the Italian seasoning. It's turned out really well. Here's the basics:

One to Two bone-in chicken breasts (I haven't tried with boneless yet but I feel the bone-in will cook more tender)

Cut up veggies of choice (I use carrots cut small, red potatoes quartered, onion cut up)

One can of reduced sodium chicken broth (or just water, enough to just cover the food)

Packet of dry Italian dressing

I put the chicken in and set the veggies around and on top of (depending on how much you have). I think I read that vegetables should go under the meat in a crock-pot but I like the idea of the meat getting some heat from the bottom)

Sprinkle the seasoning on everything (and add whatever other seasonings you like). Add broth. Cook either 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 on high. I check on it around hour 4 (on high) and if the chicken is falling off the bone I remove it and debone it. I remove the skin too but leave just a little for some added flavor. Then I put the shredded chicken back in and turn it to low if it needs a little longer. I've been cooking about 2 cups of rice in the rice cooker to go with the chicken. I add the cooked rice to the chicken mixture in the crockpot and serve. It's easy and turns out pretty good. I'll probably try it with Lipton onion soup or some other seasoning packages for more variety.

I'm sure you could do the same with porkchops as well and even do it just like the pot roast with the ranch and brown gravy. Mmmm, I'm going to have to try that next.

brunette trixie, I'm going to try that ground beef stew. It sounds a lot like my mom's vegetable soup with ground beef but she makes it with a big pot and some tomato or V-8 juice. I think doing it in the crockpot will be easier for me. And I'll probably add some corn.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread