+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I wouldn't eliminate the mirepoix (combination of onions, carrots, and celery). They infuse additional flavor and complexity to the chicken, which will add a nice depth to the flavor of your dish.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

So your recipe just calls for boiled chicken, but the recipe posted is a general recipe for boiled chicken? I've never boiled a bone-in chicken, but I frequently boil chicken breasts to put in soup, and I just cut off the fat and boil them about 15-20 minutes, till they're not pink in the middle. I do suppose those veggies would give the chicken more flavor, but if all you're trying to accomplish is cooking chicken to chop and put in a chili, it would just depend on how much work you want to do.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3207673;
    This is my favorite raspberry pie recipe.

Raspberry Pie

1 c sugar
    2 T. cornstarch
    1 c water
    1/2 pkg raspberry jello
    1 quart raspberries
    1 baked pie shell
    3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
    2 t. powdered sugar
    2 T. cream
    whipped cream

Mix sugar and cornstarch well. Add 1 cup water. Cook until thick and clear. Add jello and cool. When cool, fold in raspberries. Whip together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and cream. Spread on bottom of pie shell. Fill with raspberry mixture. Top with whipped cream. Chill.

Thanks, Lil Bit! Sounds *delicious*

MRD

When I boil a chicken, I always add rough chopped carrot, onion, garlic and celery (with the leaves on). I add a bay leaf and salt and pepper. I honestly believe the veggies give it more flavor and the stock can then be used for a LOT of things. The veggies also flavor the stock.
    I can barely cook anything that I don't add carrot, onion, garlic and celery to for added richness and flavor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3206453;
    Try using chocolate cake mix and the cherry pie filling for the dump cake (2 cans of cherry, no pineapple)
    Now that sounds GOOD

I have a dump cake question-- when you say cake mix, do you just mean the powder? Or do you mix up the batter and pour that over? Clearly I'm a dump cake virgin.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yes, the dry stuff! Just open the box and DUMP!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

These are the Butterscotch Brownies I talked about in Foods you are known for thread. Nowadays, they're probably called blondies, but I stick with the original name from my old Betty Crocker Cooky Book. These are EASY!

Butterscotch Brownies
    1/4 cup softened butter (must be real butter, not margarine)
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 egg
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp caramel flavoring (optional - I use Watkins brand)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Blend together until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Add nuts if desired.

Grease 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan. Spread batter in pan (will be very thick). Bake 20-25 mins or until edges are golden brown. Center may be underbaked but let them set for 1/2 hour and then cut into 16 squares. Very chewy and perfect with a cold glass of milk.

This recipe doubles easily. Bake in a 13x9 pan for approx. 35-40 mins.

Enjoy!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

To the Point

Regarding the boiled chicken...

Being from the south I boil chicken for a number of reasons. I always just boil my chicken in water with a couple or three bouillon cubes to give a richer broth. Chicken broth can be frozen well also. You may want to add salt as well. The chicken will be much better if it has a bit.

Crockpot Chicken

*3-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    *Garlic, chopped
    *Black pepper, ground
    *Swiss cheese, sliced
    *Cream of mushroom soup, or roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup, (Standard size can, do not use reduced fat soup)
    *¼ cup milk
    *1 regular sized box of Stove Top Stuffing,
    *1 stick of butter, melted

Chicken may be cut into bite size pieces or left whole. Coat the chicken on all sides with as much garlic as desired. Place chicken in the crock pot. Grind a little black pepper over the chicken. Cover the chicken with a layer of sliced swiss cheese. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine ¼ cup milk with soup. Pour/spoon soup mixture evenly over the swiss cheese. Mix together the dry stuffing with the enclosed seasoning packet. Pour the stuffing mix evenly over the soup mixture. Pour the melted butter evenly over the stuffing mix.

Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 7-9 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.

+ Reply to Thread