+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Just made these today:
    I wanted to do a twist on rice crispy marshmallow treats, but with a Mayan-style chocolate flair, and not containing any sort of trans-fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils) nor high-fructose (genetically modified) corn syrup. I wanted something with lots of flavor and not overly sweet. This is what I came up with. (I *almost* didn't have to wash the bowls after Mr. Ellen "helped" with clean-up!)

Mayan Chocolate Crispy Bars

• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 12 oz. Trader Joe's Vanilla Marshmallows
    (or 10.5 oz. bag Kraft mini-marshmallows)
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
    • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
    • about 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • about 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    • pinch of kosher salt
    • 6 cups organic crispy brown rice cereal
    • spiced chocolate glaze, melted
    see below

1. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with a little nonstick spray. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper (leaving enough of an overhang to be able to lift out for cutting after cooling). Set pan aside.

2. In a large saucepan, combine butter, marshmallows, cocoa, espresso powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat, and stir in rice cereal. Press cereal mixture into prepared baking pan. Drizzle with melted spiced chocolate glaze. Let cool to room temperature. Remove from pan and cut into 16 bars.

Spiced Chocolate Glaze
    • 2 oz. Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips
    • about 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    • pinch of ground cinnamon
    • tiny pinch of cayenne

Place ingredients in a double boiler (or in a glass or metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Heat, stirring occasionally until melted.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3204543;
    Does anyone have a nice tilapia recipe? I always end up baking it and would like to try something different.
    lil, my favorite tilapia dish is frying the fillets with a bit of a panko crust in a pan and then slicing them up to serve in soft flour tortillas with shredded purple cabbage and pico de gallo as fish tacos. You could also season the fillet with some taco seasoning, bake them and serve them the same way.

PG, I do something very similar with tilapia and also make fish tacos with the fillets. It's really easy and they are super good.

I went raspberry picking yesterday and now have a LOT of raspberries. I thought I'd make some pies with them. Does anyone have a good recipe for raspberry pie? Do I just throw raspberries into a pie shell with sugar? I've never made a berry pie before.

This is my favorite raspberry pie recipe.

Raspberry Pie

1 c sugar
    2 T. cornstarch
    1 c water
    1/2 pkg raspberry jello
    1 quart raspberries
    1 baked pie shell
    3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
    2 t. powdered sugar
    2 T. cream
    whipped cream

Mix sugar and cornstarch well. Add 1 cup water. Cook until thick and clear. Add jello and cool. When cool, fold in raspberries. Whip together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and cream. Spread on bottom of pie shell. Fill with raspberry mixture. Top with whipped cream. Chill.

FORT Fan

For the dumpcake recipes...are you suppose to put the dry cake mix on the fruit? Does the melted butter blend it all together to make it moist? I am a little confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3208113;
    For the dumpcake recipes...are you suppose to put the dry cake mix on the fruit? Does the melted butter blend it all together to make it moist? I am a little confused...
    Yes - just sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of the fruit and then put the butter on top of that. The butter and the cake mix blend together and make a crust - it's yummy!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

I don't use melted b utter. I cut the butter up and dot the dry cake mix with it.
    The butter melting from the top and the fruit "juice" bubbling up from the bottom, form a crust with the dry cake mix.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a question for you cooking experts. I'm trying a new recipe (to me) for white chicken chili. It calls for boiled, deboned chicken. I have to admit that I've never boiled a chicken before. I looked online and these instructions seemed the simplest.

1 (3 pound) whole chicken
    1 large onion, halved
    3 carrots, cut into chunks
    2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
    1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
    water to cover

Place chicken in a large pot with onion, carrots, celery and peppercorns; add water to cover. Cover pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook for about 90 minutes, or until chicken meat is falling off of the bone. Remove chicken, let cool and shred or chop the meat.
    My question is, since the chili is seasoned with all kinds of spices, onion and garlic, should I just boil it in plain water without the onion, carrots, celery and peppercorn?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I would skip the veggies, veejer. The peppercorn probably wouldn't hurt to give the chicken a little flavor. One thing I do when I'm boiling chicken for soups or chili is to add a cube or two of chicken bouillon for even more chicken flavor. But I think those veggies would only be good if you were making a chicken soup or stew, not chili.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread