Just made these today:
I wanted to do a twist on rice crispy marshmallow treats, but with a Mayan-style chocolate flair, and not containing any sort of trans-fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils) nor high-fructose (genetically modified) corn syrup. I wanted something with lots of flavor and not overly sweet. This is what I came up with. (I *almost* didn't have to wash the bowls after Mr. Ellen "helped" with clean-up!)
Mayan Chocolate Crispy Bars
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 12 oz. Trader Joe's Vanilla Marshmallows
(or 10.5 oz. bag Kraft mini-marshmallows)
• 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
• 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
• about 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• about 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
• pinch of kosher salt
• 6 cups organic crispy brown rice cereal
• spiced chocolate glaze, melted see below
1. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with a little nonstick spray. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper (leaving enough of an overhang to be able to lift out for cutting after cooling). Set pan aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine butter, marshmallows, cocoa, espresso powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat, and stir in rice cereal. Press cereal mixture into prepared baking pan. Drizzle with melted spiced chocolate glaze. Let cool to room temperature. Remove from pan and cut into 16 bars.
Spiced Chocolate Glaze
• 2 oz. Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips
• about 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
• pinch of ground cinnamon
• tiny pinch of cayenne
Place ingredients in a double boiler (or in a glass or metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Heat, stirring occasionally until melted.