Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;3205559;
    Dump Cake

1 can crushed pineapple DON'T drain
    1 can cherry pie filling
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 stick butter or margarine
    chopped nuts (optional)

in 9x13 pan dump cherry pie filling and spread evenly.
    dump crushed pineapple in juice on top of that and spread evenly
    dump yellow cake mix on top of that

slice stick of butter into thin pats and place on top of cake mix, covering the top, roughly 4 pats across, top with chopped nuts if desired and bake at 350 for an hour until golden brown.
    This is Mr. Doxie's favorite dessert. I make it for him on his birthday every year and my 90 year old great-aunt (who gave me the recipe) makes it for him when we visit her.

Other flavors of pie fillings work well too, but the cherry one is the best.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

The Dump Cake and Cream Puff sounds SOOO GOOD!!!!!! MMMMMMM!!!

Wow! MAGIC SHELL! That is something I haven't had or thought about in over 20 years! My grandparents always had that at their house, it was a real treat and fun to watch it harden.

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;3205559;
    Dump Cake

1 can crushed pineapple DON'T drain
    1 can cherry pie filling
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 stick butter or margarine
    chopped nuts (optional)

in 9x13 pan dump cherry pie filling and spread evenly.
    dump crushed pineapple in juice on top of that and spread evenly
    dump yellow cake mix on top of that

slice stick of butter into thin pats and place on top of cake mix, covering the top, roughly 4 pats across, top with chopped nuts if desired and bake at 350 for an hour until golden brown.
    Oh my goodness... that sounds good, very cobbleresque! I love the sound of that and will have to try it.

It sounds like a warm version of this layered cake that I think my Mom labeled a Punch Bowl Cake.

1can pie filling
    1can pineapple
    1 can vanilla pudding (or... 1 batch of instant)
    1 large tub coolwhip
    1 round vanilla cake (9inch, or whatever fits your bowl)

First you start off by slicing the cake in half so you have two thinner round pieces.

In the bottom of your bowl place the bottom of the cake, then layer with half the can of pie filling, half can of pudding, half of the pineapple, then half of the whipped cream. Repeat with the top layer of cake, filling, pudding, pineapple. Top with whip cream and nuts.

Like doxie mentioned, you can change the pie filling to whatever you want. I've also changed out the cake mix. I think I've made a tropical cake/strawberry pie filling, strawberry cake/strawberry filling (a little tooo sweet), etc. The cool thing is that you can make this as light as you want to, too, as pie filling isn't loaded with calories... get fat free cool whip, light cake mixes, etc.

Karna's dump cake warmed up with a little dab of ice cream sounds yummy.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

MRD

Try using chocolate cake mix and the cherry pie filling for the dump cake (2 cans of cherry, no pineapple)

And use a spice cake mix with either peach or apple pie filling.

Dump cake is my husband's FAVORITE. But he likes the original. I like to have a variety but he won't eat the spice cake version.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3206453;
    Try using chocolate cake mix and the cherry pie filling for the dump cake (2 cans of cherry, no pineapple)

And use a spice cake mix with either peach or apple pie filling.

Dump cake is my husband's FAVORITE. But he likes the original. I like to have a variety but he won't eat the spice cake version.
    I am going to try the spice cake/apple pie filling version of Dump Cake in the very near future. That sounds yummy! I think that Mr. Doxie will like it too. If not, there will be more for me to enjoy!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thank you karna and everyone else who has posted their "what you are known for" recipes. I can't wait to start cooking some of these!
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm known for my 7-layer salads, but I don't go by a recipe anymore.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Another Mushroom recipe: This is an easy and really yummy appetizer. I can't remember (and I didn't write it down ) exactly how many this makes.

Mushroom Tarts

1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
    2 T. butter
    1/2 c. chopped onions
    1/2 tsp. salt
    dash nutmeg
    dash pepper
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    2 tsp. flour
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1 tsp. dill
    - pastry tart shells (I buy them in the frozen section, but you can make them)

Cook onions for about 4 minutes with the butter. Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the dill and sour cream. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream and dill. Cook in pastry tarts at 350 for about 20 minutes or done (golden edges).
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 09-28-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Those seem so good. And easy to do, if you buy the frozen pastry tarts. I think I'll try them for my next party. They remind me of this quick and delicious app I made for my son's baptism.

Baked Crab Rangoon

1 can (170 g) chunk crabmeat, drained, flaked
    125 g (1/2 of 250-g pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Light Brick Cream Cheese Spread, softened
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup MIRACLE WHIP CALORIE-WISE Dressing
    12 won ton wrappers

Directions

1 PREHEAT oven to 350F. Mix crabmeat, cream cheese spread, onions and dressing.

2 SPRAY 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Gently place 1 won ton wrapper in each cup, allowing edges of wrappers to extend above sides of cups. Fill evenly with crabmeat mixture.

3 BAKE 18 to 20 min. or until edges are golden brown and filling is heated through. Serve warm. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.

Makeover - How We Did It
    We've taken a favourite appetizer and made it over by substituting Philadelphia Light Brick Cream Cheese Spread and Miracle Whip Calorie-Wise Dressing for the full-fat products. And since these tasty appetizers are baked, they require less hands-on time which allows you to spend more time with your guests. This baked version saves 65 calories and 5 g of fat per serving compared to traditional fried Crab Rangoon.

For Mini Crab Rangoons
    Gently press each of 24 won ton wrappers onto bottom and up side of each of 24 miniature muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Fill with crabmeat mixture and bake as directed. Makes 12 servings, two won tons each.

For a Crispier Rangoon
    Bake won ton wrappers in muffin cups at 350F for 5 to 7 min. or until lightly browned. Fill evenly with crabmeat mixture and bake 6 to 8 min. or until filling is heated through.

I wouldn't say I'm known for this, as my friends only have a few parties a year where we bring real food, but my "white pizza dip" is usually popular, albeit not healthy. And it's completely easy, because it's off the bag of a Lipton soup mix.

1 envelope Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic soup mix
    1 container (16 oz) sour cream
    1 container (8 oz) ricotta (I think when I first started making this years ago, the recipe used to call for equal amounts sour cream and ricotta, and I often do that; if you're using two 16 oz things, you might add a little bit of a second envelope of soup mix)
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    optional: 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni

Mix up everything in a shallow 1 quart casserole dish, leaving out 1/4 cup of mozzarella to sprinkle on top. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Serve with sliced French or Italian bread. It makes three cups of dip.

I've used low-fat sour cream and ricotta and mozzarella with no problems.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread