Closed Thread
Page 773 of 773 FirstFirst ... 273673723763764765766767768769770771772773
Results 7,721 to 7,726 of 7726

Thread: Recipes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Recipes

Look at some of the new stuff coming to the grocery stores. The second one has to be straight out of Seinfeld, when Elaine got the idea for selling just the muffin tops, and discarding the "stumps"; I figured it would be just a matter of time before somebody did this. I'm a little hesitant about the rice until some other guinea pig jumps out there and recommends it.

Annie Chun's Black Pearl Rice

Annie Chun's Black Pearl Rice combines black rice with sprouted brown rice for a healthful blend of complex, nutty flavors. Once reserved for the emperors of ancient China, this complex, medium-grain rice is often called "forbidden rice" and was revered for its nutritional qualities. It's rich in amino acids and high in vitamins and minerals such as iron, potassium and magnesium. Shelf stable, microwaveable, and ready in just one minute.

Corn VitaTops

Just the tops, please! A guilt-free, healthy alternative to an all-American classic, all-natural, 100-calorie Corn VitaTops, one of four varieties in a line of muffin tops introduced by New York-based Vitalicious, contain one gram of fat, six grams of fiber, four grams of protein, and 15 vitamins and minerals.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I actually saw a muffin tin not long ago that you can buy and it only makes muffin tops. I thought it was hysterical.

No, you couldn't pay me to eat Spam, but many of the Hawaiins love it and use it in their food. And it's on many restaurant menus.

I don't eat Viena sausages either. But I guess if I was hungry enough I would. Those C-ration meats look even nastier than Spam and my husband said they were pretty bad and especially if you had to eat them cold as they did many times.

But when those were developed taste was an afterthought. What they were looking for was a portable, nutrious, high calorie meal for soliders in the field or at war. It served it's primary purpose.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My family and I LOVE Spam. My dad is from Hawaii and we grew up with spam in our diet. Spam "musubi" is what some refer to as spam sushi. But it is not sushi. Sushi refers to the rice and many people mistake sushi for raw fish. Raw fish is actually called sashimi. Sushi is rice that is flavored with rice vinegar. Some sushi is topped with raw pieces of fish and that is why most people make that common error.
    Spam musubi is plain rice (usually large rectangle) topped with a fried piece of spam, teriyaki sauce and wrapped in nori (seaweed). It was mostly used to pack into lunches but it is a handy snack that is sold everywhere in Hawaii, even at the counters of all the ABC stores.
    Spam and eggs is a popular breakfast entree in many restaurants in Hawaii, spam really is not different than sausage.
    Many cultures enjoy different type of foods. It doesn't make it good or bad. Hawaiian culture is a melting pot of many different cultures that came together as a result of working together in the cane fields, pineapple fields and the military.

My mother used to make me fried Spam sandwiches growing up. I found them quite delicious until I was old enough to know what Spam was!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Luvsginger, I found a lot of that info as I was working on my military ration talk. It is very interesting. And I like to watch Anthony Bourdains No Reservations. Many cultures eat things that some of us find not so appetizing and some of us eat things that others find not so appetizing. I grew up where people eat a lot of pork organs. I don't eat that either.
    But I just watched a Bourdain show where he talked about the food we eat now is the food of our childhood. I think that is so true. And after doing my research for my talk on the history of Southern Food, I find that many people in the South still eat what they grew up on. It's comfort food no matter what type of food it is.
    Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone about the Spam talk. I just find it to be something I don't care for, but I also didn't grow up on it or live in a culture that eats it. Probably be different if I had.

Spam has never had an appeal for me and neither do sardines, vienna sausages and Chef Boyardi ravioli.

But I did find the Spam info very interesting as it was a direct result of the food available in the Hawaiian Islands during WWII.

Oh and I used to know 3 sushi chefs and I used to correct people all the time about Sashimi vs. Sushi, but you get to the point where people don't care and call it all something it's not. I've bought Sushi at the store and had the casher shudder and say she couldn't eat raw fish and I would point out to her that there was no raw fish in what I was buying. Interestingly enough once I explained it, she actually said she'd be willing to try it then. Lot of misconceptions about food especially if it's not something we are familiar with or grew up eating.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

We're going to close this thread and move it to our new "Food and Lifestyle" forum. This thread has turned into a sort of a catch-all for food talk, so we though a new forum would work better with multiple threads to keep things more organized. I've started a few threads to get things rolling, but feel free to start a new one if there's something food-related you want to talk about that is not covered in the existing threads.

This thread will be closed to new posts, but will remain in the new forum so people can look back and get recipes that have already been posted here.

Thanks, everyone!

Closed Thread