Closed Thread
Page 771 of 773 FirstFirst ... 271671721761762763764765766767768769770771772773 LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,710 of 7726

Thread: Recipes

MRD

Re: Recipes

I used to have one of those miracle thaw plates, but I don't know what happened to it. I used to use it all the time and haven't even thought of it in years.

Buglover, I have a FABULOUS chicken a la king recipe. I'll go get it and post it. The best thing about it? It also makes GREAT turkey a la king after Thanksgiving and I have one friend that usually always finds out which day after Thanksgiving I'm making it so she can have some. Sadly she is still in Florida, but she has told me time and again how much she misses my cooking. Which is always nice to hear as my daughter hates EVERYTHING I make and hubby hates half of what I make. I can't figure out why everyone else thinks I'm a great cook and they don't. Because they are more finicky than Morris the Cat.
    My daughter's boyfriend eats anything I set before him and always loves it. I love that boy!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Even my picky family will eat this. And it's great for when you have leftover chicken or turkey and mashed potatos. You can also make instant mashed potatos for the topping and it still tastes great.

Potato topped Chicken a la king.

2 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. sliced green onions
    1/3 c. all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
    1/2 c. milk
    2 cups cooked cubed chicken (or turkey)
    1 cup green peas (I use frozen and thaw them)

Topping
    3-4 cups mashed potatos
    1 egg
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 tbsp, chopped green onions
    Paprika

Pre-heat oven to 350. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and cook for one min. Add flour and s & p, stir until blended. Gradually add broth and 1/2 c. milk. Cook until mixture boilss and thickens, stirring constantly. Add chicken and peas and mix well. Spoon into a 2 greased 2 quart casserole.

Warm potatos and add egg and garlic.

Spoon or pipe potatos over top of casserole. Top with green onions and paprika. Bake for 30 min. or until casserole is bubbly and potatos are light golden brown.

MRD

I have the To Die For Pot Roast in my crockpot as I type this.

The plan is to make smashed potatos and garlic cheddar bisquits and some form of veggie to go with it later this afternoon or evening.

The teenager wants to go with me to the grocery store and Sam's club to get stuff for her lunches later (I shudder at the thought as it only drives up my grocery bill) so I shall peruse veggies there.

We had my Mediterranean stuffed peppers last night. Dh and I LOVE those things. Going to be a good lunch today too.

My mother's spoonbread recipe:

3 cups milk
    1 1/4 cup cornmeal (plain)
    3 eggs
    2 tbsp butter
    1 3/4 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt

Boil milk; stir cornmeal in when it's boiling rapidly. Cook until very thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool (until cold). Add well-beaten eggs, salt, baking powder and melted butter. Beat for 15 minutes with mixer (or 2-3 minutes in food processor). Pour into well-greased casserole dish. Back at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

While I'm going through my copy of Mom's recipes, here's the absolute best pound cake ever. It's my great-aunt Adeline's recipe, I used to love it as a kid (and still do). It's SO moist, I think it's the apricot nectar that does it.

1 package lemon cake mix
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup apricot nectar

Mix cake mix and sugar. Blend in eggs, oil and apricot nectar. Beat six minutes at medium speed of mixer. Pour batter into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.
    Last edited by Lucy; 09-02-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Thank you Lucy. I think I may make it tonight. And the poundcake sounds divine.

Well let me just comment on Pugmom's to die for pot roast.

IT. IS. TO. DIE. FOR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smell while cooking was making all of us so hungry.

I made gravy from the cooking liquid and it was also THE. BEST. STUFF. EVER!!!

However, because the liquid was a tad strong, when I made the gravy i used 2 parts cooking liquid and one part water and that made it perfect. I think I ate more mashed potatos with the gravy than I did the pot roast.

Hubby and daughter's boyfriend both rolled away from the table. It was a HUGE hit here. And SO easy.
    That is definetly a keeper.

I also made Broccoli Gratin which was very good and fairly easy (especially when you get someone else to chop the broccoli-visions of Dana Carvey singing Chopping Broccoli anyone? )

Broccoli Gratin

2 slices white bread
    3 tbs. olive oil
    salt and pepper
    1/4 c. flour
    3 cups whole milk (I used skim and it was fine)
    1 tsp. ground mustard
    2 heads broccoli, chopped fine. Including peeling and chopping the stalks.
    1 c. shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 450. In food processor, put in white bread, 1 tbsp. olive oil and a little salt and pepper and process until it forms crumbs.

In large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil and stir in the flour and cook and stir one minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Add a little more salt and pepper and ground mustard and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and let simmer for 15-20 min. until broccoli is tender. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cups of the cheese.

Transfer to a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dsh and top wtih breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake until breadcrumbs are golden about 6-8 min. Let rest 5 min. before serving.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-02-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This may be a dumb question, but can you use wheat bread? I never have white bread in the house.

Wow! That pound cake is "Shay-easy". I'm in!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Yeah, I think wheat bread would be fine. It's just a very thin layer of bread anyway and the broccoli is the predominant flavor anyway.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3186230;
    Thank you Lucy. I think I may make it tonight. And the poundcake sounds divine.

Well let me just comment on Pugmom's to die for pot roast.

IT. IS. TO. DIE. FOR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smell while cooking was making all of us so hungry.

I made gravy from the cooking liquid and it was also THE. BEST. STUFF. EVER!!!

However, because the liquid was a tad strong, when I made the gravy i used 2 parts cooking liquid and one part water and that made it perfect. I think I ate more mashed potatos with the gravy than I did the pot roast.
    Thank you, I am glad that you liked the roast recipe mdr. I have to say it is a staple when son is home from college. My sister used this recipe with a roast that had some major freezer burn, she said it was a cheap way to salvage it. lol

MRD

It's now a keeper for my collection and I've already shared the recipe with a couple friends.
    The leftovers were even better today. (and I ate the last of the mashed potatos, so that ticked everyone off here as there was gravy, but no more potatos to put it on)

I just wanted to share with you all the delicious dinner I made for me, my dad and my mom. I made baked snapper (baked snapper filets, drizzled with olive oil, with fresh cracked pepper and topped with sliced onions and lemon), sateed cabbage with turkey bacon, onions and garlic, and some homemade cucumber pickles-type things. I was trying to think of something different to cook as I am sick of plain meat and steamed veggies my dad cooks (since we are trying to support him in his diabetes diet and eat the same he does.)

Does anybody have any good meatloaf recipes that have ground chicken and/or turkey in them? Or any good recipes that are super healthy i can substitute ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef? Meatloaf is one of my dad's favorite foods, and I want to make him one in a healthy manner. I'm planning on making a version of the South Beach Diet's mashed potatoe style cauliflower to go with it.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Closed Thread