Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3145842;
    I spent the last couple of days with some friends on Block Island and almost didn't want to come home as there were unending pitchers of this:

6 fluid ounces vodka
    18 fluid ounces orange juice
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    4 scoops orange sherbet
    1 cup crushed ice

DIRECTIONS
    In a blender, mix the vodka, orange juice, strawberries, orange sherbet, and ice. Blend until smooth.
    What time should Henry and I be there? That sounds great!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3145810;
    Mikesgal - No question is dumb when it comes to food! I was making the strawberry pie recipe that I posted on here a while back. It requires you to sit the mixture in an ice bath while you wait for the gelatin to begin to "mold". Although the recipe calls for it to take approximately 20-40 minutes, it is more like an hour. I mentioned to my husband that I wish I understood the chemistry part of cooking, so I could "wing" things more. I would love to enroll in a school but it is so darned expensive.
    Watch food network, especially Alton Brown's Good Eats. He does a lot explaining the chemistry part of cooking. But I know that I've learned a LOT from just watching the food network.

Also any food that doesn't have "chemistry" like the italian roast, etc., has lots of wiggle room for adding, subtracting stuff and improv. The only time you HAVE to follow a recipe exactly is in baking usually as there is a chemical process with the baking powder/soda and or yeast.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3143332;
    I don't see any reason you and your hubby can't continue whatever diet you want. It's your house and your kitchen and if she wants to buy and prepare something other than what you're having she is certainly welcome.
    Amen to that--or maybe they could just eat at the boyfriend's place.
    Yes, I am old fashioned--I would never expect someone to change the menu to my specs.
    If I did want something totally different when I lived with my parents, I'd wait until Mom and Dad were finished in the kitchen, and then cook what I had purchased, and clean up the mess afterward.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

I need blueberry ideas.
    I got more at the farmer's market yesterday and we're already tired of blueberry muffins and pancakes. But the berries themselves are SO good.

Don't want a pie though. Any other yummy blueberry ideas?

And what about blackberry ideas?

Also have a crab apple tree that is full. What can I do with those?

Mrd, I add blueberries to my lunch salads, and also add them in with cut up peaches and strawberries, sometimes canteloupe.
    It's a pain to do, but crabapples make the best jelly ever-it's sour-ish and sweet at the same time. I'm surprised you've never heard of it, as it's another Old South thing. I'm guessing maybe crabapples don't do well in Florida? I miss my old rental house that had a huge crabapple tree. I'd wrap a quilt around the trunk and the 'gently' bump it with my truck bumper, making the apples fall in the bed of the truck. That's a lot easier than picking them up off the ground!
    Anyway, since the crabapples are hard and not all that juicy, you have to cut them up fine (you don't have to core them)and boil the whole mess for, um, a long time (until it tastes like hellishly sour juice, not water.) Then pour it through a cheesecloth to strain it. Now get the instructions for apple jelly from wherever, and make it. You may need a bit more sugar due to the sour-ness. Put in the few drops of red food coloring to make it a pretty, very slightly pink color. Can according to instructions.

I have no idea what else to do with crabbapples food-wise other than feed them to hogs. They do make good ammo for kids and immature adults to throw at each other, or you can feed a few to a horse for a snack.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I don't think you can improve on a bowl of fresh blueberries with vanilla (non-fat) yogurt. The sweet, creamy texture with the burst of blueberry. Mmmm. No cooking involved. Also, they freeze well. And if you have access to rhubarb, bluebarb pie is the best food on earth.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Your ideas sound good to me, but the problem is my husband wont' eat yogurt or salad. He has requested a cheesecake, so I guess I'll be baking for him today.

Queenb, apples, crab or otherwise do not grow well in Florida. The ONLY way I've ever seen them is my mom would buy the "candied" ones for Thanksgiving and I never ate those.

I've never made jelly, but I would be willing to try. If it turns out well, I could give a few as gifts.

ANyone have a Great Harvest Bread Company close to them? If you do, get thee down there ASAP and try a Savannah Bar.
    They had a booth at the farmer's market yesterday and were giving away samples and the Savannah Bars are to DIE FOR! They are a dark, chewy, crunchy bar with fresh peaches and other fruit in them. This week they had dried cherries, but I understand they also make them with blue or blackberries.

It was so good, I've scoured the internet for a recipe without any luck.

The bars have oats and are a very dark brown, so am assuming brown sugar, maybe molasses.

I want the recipe so badly I can't stand it because while the bars aren't astronomically expensive, they are enough so that I can't feed my new addiction as the store is at least $3 in gas to get to it. I think the bars are about $2.25 and are a good size. But boy, oh boy are they ever GOOD!

MRD - I just visited their website and it all looks so good. Unfortunately, I would have to drive across a bridge to get to the closest one to me. Have you thought of e-mailing them and asking for a similar recipe? Or, they have franchise opportunities, you could open up your own bakery, an expensive way to obtain the recipe! Anyway, good luck and please share it with us if you find it!

I went to a barbecue yesterday and I had grilled oysters that were out of this world! We were trying to figure out the ingredients in the sauce that was placed on top of the grilled oysters. We were told it was a secret family recipe, but they told us the main ingredients were Vietnamese Fish Sauce, sugar, butter, green onions, lime juice and a little hot sauce from Costa Rica. What a blend! If I can get the recipe, I'll share it with all of you oyster lovers.

Blueberries pair well with lemon. I made a "wing it" blueberry sauce that we used on several things. I didn't measure anything, but here's the basic idea:
    a good pour of red wine
    blueberries
    zest and juice from one lemon
    Simmer wine, blueberries, and lemon juice until thickened to whatever consistency you'd like. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest. Serve either warm or cold.

And here's a recipe from last night's dinner guest. I haven't tried it yet; I'll probably "tweak" it when I do, though:
    Blueberry Lemon Drop Martini

4 oz Blueberry Stoli
    1/4 of the juice squeezed from one lemon
    1 oz simple syrup
    1/2 oz Blue Curaçao

Shake with crushed ice; strain and pour. Garnish with fresh blueberries and curled lemon peel.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Speaking of Vietnamese fish sauce... when I cleaned out Dan's room, there were 3 boxes of what appear to be fish boullion cubes, but since it's all in Thai I'm not sure. What do you do with fish boullion cubes? Seriously. I'd like to try these out and I don't cook a lot of fish.
    Count your blessings!

Closed Thread