Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3145327;
    This italian roast recipe sounds wonderful! (I have always used lipton onion soup) I do have a question though: my family would rather have the sandwiches from the roast instead of dinner with it, so would it work if I threw in peppers and onions into the crock pot to serve on the sandwiches, or should I just saute them before putting them on?
    I agree with MRD. I'd either saute them or add them to the crockpot about 30minutes before you plan to eat.

Does anyone have ideas for snacks/appetizers that freeze well? I have recipes for sausage balls and also the olive puff recipe that I posted awhile ago. I'm trying to find a few others that you can freeze and then take out just as many as you need and cook them. My parents enjoy a snack/cocktail every night and they are just finishing up a four month long kitchen renovation. I thought I'd make some easy snacks and freeze them as a "kitchen warming" gift. Thanks!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

How about mini-quiches? I really like those and I buy them at Sam's.

I've never frozen these, but I think you could. You could partially bake them, then freeze and your parents could thaw out and finish the baking.

Sweet Chicken wraps

1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
    1 (1-pound) package sliced bacon
    2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan. Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mikesgal - You can always saute your peppers and onions the day before and heat them before serving.

Doxie - Your parents are my type of people! I wish I could contribute something other than cheese and crackers. An easy appetizer lox, cream cheese on a ritz cracker with a caper on top.

MRD

I saw these on FoodNetwork today and I would think you could make them, bake them, freeze them and your parents could thaw and warm up. They looked really good.

Here's the link to the picture. Recipes : Onion and Goat Cheese Tartlets : Food Network

Onion and goat cheese tartlets

2 frozen puff pastry sheets, defrosted
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup finely sliced red onion
    1/4 cup finely sliced onion
    2 scallions, finely sliced
    1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
    1 egg
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 ounces goat cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Take a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter and cut out 12 rounds from 2 sheets of puff pastry. Take a 12 hole mini muffin pan and place rounds of dough into each hole, pressing gently to form a cup and giving room for the filling. Cover with plastic wrap and keep the prepared pan in the refrigerator or freezer (depends how long until you need it).

In a skillet add butter and oil. Throw in the onions and cook gently until softened and caramelized, stirring frequently for about 15 to 20 minutes. Once cooked add the scallions and chives. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a bowl whisk together the egg, cream, and salt. Add the cooked onions to the custard, stirring thoroughly. Pour into the prepared pastry cups with a spoon. Break up the goat cheese and place on top of tarts. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD - that is a winner, I love goat cheese!

You know the other thing you could do is send over a Brushetta "kit". I posted a recipe for Heirloom Tomato Brushetta about a month ago. You could prepare everything. package it separately and present it so all they had to do was assemble and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3145630;
    Mikesgal - You can always saute your peppers and onions the day before and heat them before serving.

Doxie - Your parents are my type of people! I wish I could contribute something other than cheese and crackers. An easy appetizer lox, cream cheese on a ritz cracker with a caper on top.
    I'm sure they'd welcome you for the cocktail hour. I hope that you enjoy Wheel of Fortune They go through a lot of cheese and crackers and olives while trying to guess the answer to those puzzles!

MRD - thanks for those recipes. I'm going to try those. I'm thinking that I will make about four or five different recipes and then give my parents half and keep the other half for us!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3145669;
    I'm sure they'd welcome you for the cocktail hour. I hope that you enjoy Wheel of Fortune They go through a lot of cheese and crackers and olives while trying to guess the answer to those puzzles!

MRD - thanks for those recipes. I'm going to try those. I'm thinking that I will make about four or five different recipes and then give my parents half and keep the other half for us!
    doxie between your parents and long Henry, I love your family.
    CYA

FORT Fan

Thanks for the help on the peppers and onions for the italian roast. I have never been much of a cook and I am really trying to start now, so I thank you all for answering my really dumb questions

Mikesgal - No question is dumb when it comes to food! I was making the strawberry pie recipe that I posted on here a while back. It requires you to sit the mixture in an ice bath while you wait for the gelatin to begin to "mold". Although the recipe calls for it to take approximately 20-40 minutes, it is more like an hour. I mentioned to my husband that I wish I understood the chemistry part of cooking, so I could "wing" things more. I would love to enroll in a school but it is so darned expensive.

I spent the last couple of days with some friends on Block Island and almost didn't want to come home as there were unending pitchers of this:

6 fluid ounces vodka
    18 fluid ounces orange juice
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    4 scoops orange sherbet
    1 cup crushed ice

DIRECTIONS
    In a blender, mix the vodka, orange juice, strawberries, orange sherbet, and ice. Blend until smooth.
    CYA

Closed Thread