Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3143828;
    Only ONE beer in SIX WHOLE HOURS?????!!!!!
    That's exactly what I was thinking! Maybe one of those Heineken's they sell at Costco that looks like a mini-keg! That's more like it!
    Thanks for sharing, everyone! I love this thread!

I think that it's really great your daughter wants to eat healthier myrosiedog and I know I would love someone to take over the cooking and all the planning that goes with it at my house .

I do agree with luvsginger though in that being vegetarian does not automatically mean you're eating a healthy diet. I too know vegetarians who eat mostly starchy foods and they definitely don't look healthy (bloated is a good way to describe them). So it's good your daughter is reading and informing herself about how to go about it in a sensible way. When I read your post about how it is at your home, I thought it sounded a lot like at my own house. I eat mostly vegetables and probably wouldn't have such a hard time becoming a vegetarian (although I would miss fish and chicken), but my husband can't imagine a life without meat. It's not that he eats unhealthily because he eats a lot of fruits and veggies too, but he does eat meat almost every meal. I don't think I could ever become a vegan though and as for a raw foods diet, that is just not possible. I love soup and stews and basically anything that mixes a lot of different veggies and requires slow cooking .

Anyway, yesterday I had a nice, quick dinner which was surprisingly tasty given that I didn't have so much at home. I basically chopped one broccoli, steamed it, added a chopped hard-boiled egg, crumbled a little feta cheese over it and salted to taste and voila!, dinner was served. I thought later about adding a few cocktail tomatoes just to add more colour, so I'll probably do that next time .

We had my kids' favorite last night:
    Pulled Chicken sandwiches....so easy and delicious

Cook Time: 8 hours,
    Ingredients:
    1 whole chicken, cut up
    1 onion, chopped
    1 (16 ounce) can of cola
    1/2 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    salt and pepper to taste
    Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or crock-pot over low heat. Stir and let cook for 8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Remove skin and bones and shred. Serve on buns or rolls. Good served with cole slaw right on the sandwich.

We had it along side my ex MIL's coleslaw.....at least I came away from the marriage with a few great recipes
    1/2 whole Cabbage Head -- chopped
    1/2 medium Green Bell Pepper -- chopped
    1/2 medium Red Bell Pepper -- chopped
    1/2 medium Onion -- chopped fine
    3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
    3/4 cup Cider Vinegar
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 tablespoon Mustard seed
    1/2 tablespoon Celery seed

Combine all and mix well.

Refrigerate 24 hours.
    CYA

MRD

Bunny that sounds really good. My husband likes to parboil ribs in coca-cola before putting them on the grill. It really tenderizes them and gives a good flavor
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Anyone have any good tips or ways to grill salmon? I need ideas as to what to brush it with so it will stay moist on the grill. Thanks!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

A little olive oil should do the trick but make sure your grill is oiled prior to grilling your salmon, otherwise it will stick and make a mess. I enjoy corn salsa served on top of my grilled salmon. I had this wonderful recipe from Fine Cooking magazine but misplaced it.
    Corn Salsa
    Here are the basics:
    2 cups corn blanched and removed from ear (about 4 ears)
    1 avocado diced
    juice of one lime
    1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
    1/2 finely chopped purple onion
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1-2 TBS champagne vinegar or whatever you have

Toss all ingredients and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

That salsa recipe sounds delicious, luvsginger! Will have to try that, as we love salsa. I'm always lookingfor different ways to cook/fix salmon. the only thing I've really used on it to marinate it with is Italian salad dressing. It gives it a good flavor.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A whole chicken, cut up??? Just kill me now. Guess I'd have to buy the appropriate pieces, and spend a lot of money. Wish butchers would do that for you. Eeeeewwwww! The sight, the smell. No way, Jose.

But I do like the pulled chicken recipe!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

You can buy a whole chicken cut up, just check the chicken section. And if they don't have one, you can always ask the butcher to cut one up for you. The stores I shop in will do that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here is a great salmon recipe Marleybone posted awhile ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Since we're talking about salmon recipes, I'm reposting the one I tried awhile back. I've made this 4 or 5 times now and it's become a favorite, plus it's super easy. It's even better cold the next day. I've never used the outdoor grill though, I recently got a grill pan and it turns out great on the stovetop.

Asian Grilled Salmon

1 side fresh salmon, boned but skin on (about 3 pounds)

For the marinade:
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons good soy sauce
    6 tablespoons good olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

Light charcoal briquettes in a grill and brush the grilling rack with oil to keep the salmon from sticking.

While the grill is heating, lay the salmon skin side down on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Whisk together the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the marinade onto the salmon and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.

Place the salmon skin side down on the hot grill; discard the marinade the fish was sitting in. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Turn carefully with a wide spatula and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes. The salmon will be slightly raw in the center, but don't worry; it will keep cooking as it sits.

Transfer the fish to a flat plate, skin side down, and spoon the reserved marinade on top. Allow the fish to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

Copyright, 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All Rights Reserved
    Show: Barefoot Contessa
    Episode: Fast and Elegant Supper

Recipes : Asian Grilled Salmon : Food Network
    And one I posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Peppery Brown Sugar Salmon

Ingredients:3 tablespoons light brown sugar
    teaspoon onion powder
    teaspoon cracked black pepper
    teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon melted butter (optional)
    Salmon Fillet
    Cooking Instructions:Thaw the salmon and pat dry [or in this case just pat dry]. Preheat oven to 400. Combine the dry seasonings in a small bowl. Brush the fillet with melted butter. Sprinkle the seasonings evenly onto the fish and gently press. Place fillet on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. White proteins may form on the fillet during cooking, if these are undesirable, simply remove and serve.

Simply Seafood
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Closed Thread