Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

FORT Fan

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3142082;
    I love artichoke dip but have only made the recipe on the can. I've seen a recipe on one of the Lipton soup boxes that I'd like to try. I never thought of putting mozarella in it so that will be on my list next time I make it. I've also had artichoke/spinach dip combo but haven't made it myself. But I love spinach dip too so if anyone has a good dip recipe for that or for artichoke/spinach together please post!
    I love the artichoke dip with the mayo, mozzarella and parmesan, but I also add a lot of garlic as well.
    I don't have a cold spinach and artichoke dip, but one of my favorites that eveyone seems to love is this: (and I don't know where it came from)

1 block of cream cheese
    1 small block of velveeta cheese
    2 cans rotel mexican salsa with lime and cilantro
    10 oz, thawed spinach, squeezed out
    a tablespoon or two of minced garlic to taste
    S and P if desired

Place cheeses and salsa in large pot over medium. (I cut up the cheeses to melt faster) Stir often to melt and mix. Add spinach and spices and heat and melt thouroughly.
    Serve with corn chips and or bread pieces.

MRD

Actually, we do eat "fairly" healthy most of the time. I still on occasion make my yummy Southern food, but we don't eat like that every day and haven't for years, but I'm not going to totally give it up. I just serve it in moderation now. I would say that our regular diet now is a good balance 4-5 days of the week and then there are a couple days where pizza rules or some other dish that is easy, but maybe not too healthy.
    I also steam 90% of our vegetables. I only really "boil the mess" out of them with ham hocks, a few times a year.

Hubby eats meat and potatos. He's like those V8 commercials where the wife is slapping her husband in the forehead because of his choices. He will eat sliced tomatos, so I serve those a lot, but he's never been a big veggie fan. Out of all of us, he eats the most unhealthy.

I actually have been having problems with meat, chicken and some fish for months now and so I don't think I'd mind what she plans to cook. I won't totally give up meat, but as I'm not eating a lot of it now, it shouldn't be that big a thing. Most nights where we have meat, I don't usually eat it (but mostly because I can't due to tummy issues) and just eat the sides and maybe some cottage cheese. Hubby will have the hardest adjustment and if he feels the need for more meat, he can make it.

I'm actually open to her new eating plan and her wanting to cook and shop more. Believe me, I'm open to it.

But knowing the drama queen in her, I know it will be drama at first.

Probably the hardest thing for me to give up is eating grits and cornbread which I do several times a week. But I make my grits with chicken stock now and that way don't have to add much butter to them. My other problem area lately has been pretzels. I have become addicted for some reason.

So I think if I restrict my cornbread and grits to once a week and keep my head out of the pretzel bag, it won't be that bad.

But I have been paging through the cookbooks she got at the library and there are some really good sounding recipes in there. And since I've gotten stuck in a rut lately with food, maybe this will change things up.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-24-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here's one of our summer favorites:

Grilled Turkey Cutlets with Nectarine-Cranberry Salsa
    1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    8 turkey breast cutlets
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    freshly ground pepper (to taste)
    1 - 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
    2 - 3 nectarines (yellow or white; I prefer mixture of both), diced
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
    2 teaspoons minced red onion
    1 small clove garlic, pressed

1. Bring orange juice to boil in small saucepan; remove from heat and add cranberries and orange zest. Let stand for 10 minutes.

2. Rub cutlets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the rosemary.

3. In a medium bowl, add nectarines, pecans, onion, garlic, and remaining olive oil, rosemary, and salt to the orange-cranberry mixture.

4. Grill turkey until cooked through (approx. 5 - 8 minutes).

5. Plate the turkey cutlets, and spoon the salsa on top of the cutlets. Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary.

Serves 4.
    Approx per serving: 322 Cal., 12 grams fat, 36 grams protein, 17 grams carb.

Vegetarian / Vegan Alternative:
    Substitutes for turkey:
    1. grilled portobello mushrooms (either the caps with gills removed, or the portobello "steaks") Note: to ensure adequate protein in the meal, I would add a side dish such as quinoa.
    2. marinated and grilled (or baked) extra-firm tofu

Suggested wine pairing: dry Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, or chilled dry rosé
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-24-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I was a vegetarian for two years and it is not as simple as just "not eating meat". It is very difficult to ensure you receive the adequate protein and blend of carbs. My daughter at 13 decided to become a vegetarian and the big problem was that she doesn't eat vegetables. So, she mostly ate carbs. After 3 bouts of mono, her doctor insisted she go back to eating meat. She has always been a petite girl but when she was "vegetarian", she gained 15 lbs. As soon as she went back on meat, she lost it quickly and except for a few ear infections has remained healthy.
    IMO, it's healthier to stick with lean meat proteins.
    A friend of mine has been on raw foods for almost two years now. I had lunch with her a couple of weeks ago at a raw foods restaurant. I found most of the menu items are very caloric. I don't think I could eat cold food 3x a day for two years as she has done. I also must admit she looks very unhealthy and has had orange palms for the last two years. She calls it "detoxification", I call it "too much".
    Our tab for lunch for two? $56!!! And, that's with no wine, just water!
    MRD - Good luck and congratulations on your daughter wanting to eat more healthy!

Ellen,

That sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I am not sure how many of you shop at Costco but I love their meat dept. They sell a newer cut of meat called flap meat that is very similar to skirt steak but it is bigger. I posted this recipe a few weeks ago but I wanted to share it again because of its simplicity. I used the flap meat from Costco and boy was it a hit with my family! The recipe is originally from Sandra Lee on Semi-Homemade with a few changes.

1 1/2 pounds skirt steak or flap meat
    1/2 cup beer
    1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar

In a zip-top bag, place skirt steak or flap meat, beer, teriyaki sauce, and brown sugar. Push out air and seal. Shake to combine. Marinade for as little as 15 minutes and up to 48 hrs.
    Grill about 5 minutes each side for med rare. Grill fresh pineapple as an accompaniment.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sounds like it would be happy in a slo-cooker, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3143392;
    I was a vegetarian for two years and it is not as simple as just "not eating meat". It is very difficult to ensure you receive the adequate protein and blend of carbs. My daughter at 13 decided to become a vegetarian and the big problem was that she doesn't eat vegetables. So, she mostly ate carbs. After 3 bouts of mono, her doctor insisted she go back to eating meat. She has always been a petite girl but when she was "vegetarian", she gained 15 lbs. As soon as she went back on meat, she lost it quickly and except for a few ear infections has remained healthy.
    IMO, it's healthier to stick with lean meat proteins.
    A friend of mine has been on raw foods for almost two years now. I had lunch with her a couple of weeks ago at a raw foods restaurant. I found most of the menu items are very caloric. I don't think I could eat cold food 3x a day for two years as she has done. I also must admit she looks very unhealthy and has had orange palms for the last two years. She calls it "detoxification", I call it "too much".
    Our tab for lunch for two? $56!!! And, that's with no wine, just water!
    MRD - Good luck and congratulations on your daughter wanting to eat more healthy!
    She's been doing a lot of reading and knows you have to have protiens and carbs, etc. she is planning on attacking t his armed with information. She's been a vegetarian before and did well, but I'm not so sure about the transition to vegan and then to raw foods. But for a bit she's planning on staying vegetarian and slowing making the transition. We'll have to see, but I don't see her going on to Vegan and raw foods. I don't think she has the will power to do it, but who knows.

I know two vegans who are ALWAYS sick. ALWAYS. They look so unhealthy and catch every cold and bug that comes their way.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3143574;
    Sounds like it would be happy in a slo-cooker, too!
    I think it would work great too!

I make something similar in our crockpot and it's easy and tasty!

Italian Roast

1 small (about 2 lb) beef or pork roast
    1 package dry Italian Dressing mix
    2 bottles of beer

Rub Italian Dressing into all sides of meat
    Place in crockpot and cover with 1 beer
    Turn crockpot to Low for 6 hours (or more if meat is larger)
    Enjoy 2nd beer while dinner cooks!

This is great on sandwiches and I've served it over rice too.

MRD - have you informed the dogs that they're going to have to learn to like tofu? Seriously - I think it's great that your daughter is interested in doing that. Good luck to all of you!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3143820;
    . . . Turn crockpot to Low for 6 hours (or more if meat is larger)
    Enjoy 2nd beer while dinner cooks! . . .
    Only ONE beer in SIX WHOLE HOURS?????!!!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Closed Thread