Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

After mentioning it for hot weather suggestions, I decided to make a 3-bean salad. I went very simple: 1 can green beans, 1 can yellow beans, 1 can butter beans. I cut up half a Vidalia onion and added olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then I made the mistake of tasting it to see if it needed anything else and half of it is gone. I can resist anything but temptation and it was soooooo good. Mmmmmm.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Chicken casserole.

I take chicken, add some boiled noodles, cheese (any kind you like), some mayo and some frozen mixed veggies, thawed. I also add a can of cream of chicken soup (get low sodium) and mix it all up, put in a pan and top with bread or cracker crumbs and cook at 350 for about 30 min. The veggies and noodles should balance out the saltiness of the chicken. Don't add any extra salt. Sorry I don't really have exact measurements, I just kind of eyeball it and throw it all together, but I probably use about 2 cups of mixed veggies, 2 cups of cooked noodles, 2 cups of chicken and about 1 cup of mayo and cheese.

Gutmutter, I have a great recipe for veggie lasagna (post 6553 in this thread) that I've posted before that uses artichoke hearts. I also have used them in a sauce for pasta. Just a basic butter and flour sauce with some parmesan and mozzerella cheese, the artichoke hearts and other veggies like red peppers, onions, etc. oh and capers and serve over pasta.

I also make a great artichoke dip. I chop them finely, mix with 1/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup mozzerella, 1/3 cup parmesan and a couple shakes of hot sauce. Put in a casserole and bake for about 20-30 min. on 350, until hot and bubbly. Serve wtih crackers or bread.
    This can also be spread on cresent roll dough that is pressed together in a single sheet on a cookie pan. Cook the dough for 10 min. at 375, spread the mixture on and return to the oven for 10-15 min. until the mixture is hot and bubbly and the dough is nice and browned.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-23-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like that last idea. I keep a tube of crescent rolls around for just such a recipe. Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3142072;
    I like that last idea. I keep a tube of crescent rolls around for just such a recipe. Thanks!
    We LOVE those. I call them artichoke bites, but you really need to chop the artichokes pretty fine. I then use my pizza cutter to cut the dough into bite size squares to serve.

It usually takes 2 tubes of dough and I use one can of artichokes, so I don't know how many frozen ones are in a package, but it seems to me that the canned ones usually have about 8-10 hearts in a can.

I love artichoke dip but have only made the recipe on the can. I've seen a recipe on one of the Lipton soup boxes that I'd like to try. I never thought of putting mozarella in it so that will be on my list next time I make it. I've also had artichoke/spinach dip combo but haven't made it myself. But I love spinach dip too so if anyone has a good dip recipe for that or for artichoke/spinach together please post!

ACF, I've made soup with leftover rotisserie chicken before. I found the fastest recipe on a box of couscous. Just chop up carrots, celery and onions and cook them in water (I just use a regular 3 quart saucepan - it's not a giant amount of soup), with the seasoning packet from the box of couscous and the chopped up chicken. At the very end, you add the couscous and let the soup sit, covered (and off the heat) for a few minutes and you're done! I tried it with the regular chicken flavored couscous, but I'm thinking of trying it with a curry flavor for a little change. Maybe putting into soup would cut the saltiness....for next time

I had THE best dinner tonight! One of the volunteers at work brought in a bunch of fresh veggies to a meeting today. I made off with an eggplant, some crookneck squash, a cucumber and some gorgeous tomatoes. I toasted up a few slices of fresh bread (it was still warm when I bought it = yum!) with a bit of olive oil, put a slice of mozzarella on each slice and then added some fresh basil and a few slices of tomato I had half of a tomato left, so I chopped it up and ate it with some more basil and a little bit of balsamic. It was perfect for a hot summer night when I really didn't want anything heavy. It really made me wish I had a place to grow veggies. I always forget how much I love homegrown tomatoes. I don't have a backyard (just a long front porch where I do grow flowers and herbs), so if I grew them here, I'd worry that the neighbor kids would pick them all!

Tomorrow night, it's fresh salmon and some squash. I love summer foods!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If I "over-tomato/tomato product" it makes me itch. A little is OK.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

My daughter h as announced that she and her boyfriend are going to be vegetarians and eventually vegan and then work into the raw food thing.

She assured me that she could come up with meal plans and would do a lot of the cooking and would go over them with me so that I could make something for her dad and I (I dont' eat a lot of meat now, so I don't care if we went Vegetarian, but I can't do vegan and raw food. I would still probably eat some meat, but I rarely have any beef or pork now unless it's ground) that would go with what she is making.
    And she wants to start going to the grocery store.

I dont' know if I should rejoice or cry. She wants to shop, cook and do meal plans, but she wants to change how we ALL eat. Which I agree we could eat a lot better and I'm not against most of the recipes she showed me. Her dad is going to have a much harder time of it than I will.
    But I just envision me having to come along behind to pick up the pieces as she has resisted my attempts to teach her to cook and looking at some of the recipes, she is going to have to learn a lot of new techniques and I'm sure that the rule I've maintained for years: "the cook does NOT clean up the kitchen" is going to come back to bite me if she is the cook now.

Critical, your dinner sounds so good. Maybe I can show that to my daughter for future reference.

But I just envision me having to come along behind to pick up the pieces as she has resisted my attempts to teach her to cook and looking at some of the recipes, she is going to have to learn a lot of new techniques and I'm sure that the rule I've maintained for years: "the cook does NOT clean up the kitchen" is going to come back to bite me if she is the cook now.
    Be careful what you wish for?

Personally, I think that's great. Maybe there is hope for the South (thinking of a recent article I read) as well as many parts of the Midwest, as young people are embracing healthy eating habits.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I don't see any reason you and your hubby can't continue whatever diet you want. It's your house and your kitchen and if she wants to buy and prepare something other than what you're having she is certainly welcome.
    Count your blessings!

Closed Thread