Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3139637;
    When it's too hot to cook, we have fresh vegetable salad with either hard-boiled egg (that I keep on hand), leftover chicken, baked marinated tofu (ready-to-eat from Trader Joe's), or chicken mango sausage (again, from Trader Joe's) thrown in for protein. Toasted crusty bread with a dipping sauce of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar reduction on the side.

We also like to do "appetizer" dinners: hummus with flatbread / pita and feta cheese, fresh tomatoes, and kalamata olives; Trader Joe's frozen turkey meatballs, heated with a couple of throw-together dipping sauces; cheese, crackers, fruit, raw veggies.
    Ok, now you're just making me incredibly hungry!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3139585;
    I just made a fruit combo of peaches and mango cut up with some lavender sugar. I also have some cut up cucumbers marinating in a dill mix (garlic, onion, etc.) with sour cream and ricotta. Tofu salad is good - mash up a cake of tofu and an avocado and add cut up veggies of your choice. I haven't made that in a while, but I used to eat it a lot. Egg salad, tuna salad, and 3-bean salad are good hot weather foods. I always keep a dozen (jumbo) hard-boiled eggs for a quick protein fix in the fridge.
    Normally I invite myself over to MRD's house for dinner, but I think I'm showing up at your house tonight! I'll bring margaritas and do the dishes, OK?

MRD, when it's too hot to cook, I usually make a nice green salad with whatever is growing in our garden and for protein, I'll put in leftover chicken if we have any. If not, that's why I keep canned tuna and salmon in the pantry. I make a delicious dressing with a little Dijon mustard, olive oil and balsamic vinegarette (with a little garlic, salt and pepper to taste) and call it good. If I have any, I might top it off with some capers, or artichoke hearts or roasted peppers (again, usually in my pantry or fridge) and serve it with some crusty bread.

When it's too hot to cook - and a favorite for when we're going to be out on the boat all day - we have cheese, crackers, summer sausage, crablegs, and grapes . . . all "cold" foods (except for the crackers, of course). It is good, filling, and wonderfully, wonderfully cool!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

We had Frito boats tonight. Too hot to cook - only takes a few moments to heat up the chili

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3139650;
    Normally I invite myself over to MRD's house for dinner, but I think I'm showing up at your house tonight! I'll bring margaritas and do the dishes, OK?

MRD, when it's too hot to cook, I usually make a nice green salad with whatever is growing in our garden and for protein, I'll put in leftover chicken if we have any. If not, that's why I keep canned tuna and salmon in the pantry. I make a delicious dressing with a little Dijon mustard, olive oil and balsamic vinegarette (with a little garlic, salt and pepper to taste) and call it good. If I have any, I might top it off with some capers, or artichoke hearts or roasted peppers (again, usually in my pantry or fridge) and serve it with some crusty bread.
    C'mon over Lois! At my virgin shopping trip at Trader Joes I got some frozen artichoke hearts that arent pickled! I love fresh artichokes but not the pickled ones. Any favorite recipes for those? (I also got frozen mango chunks and chicken/veg potstickers that I ate with their peanut satay sauce!!!) I like the idea of heated meatballs with dipping sauce! Thanks for that idea Ellen.
    Count your blessings!

I wish we had a Trader Joe's .

Any ideas on what to do with leftover grocery store rotisserie chicken? I wasn't completely satisfied with the flavor and found it to be too salty tasting. If I can't find a way to make it tasty it will wind up going to the stray cats in the area. I thought of chicken salad but I don't have a good recipe for it. When I make it like I do tuna salad it doesn't taste as good. I'd like to sweeten it up or at least downplay the salty taste. I don't have to make salad, any suggestions would be helpful.

Archiecomicfan - I have used the chicken in enchiladas. Just pull the meat off, saute with onions and seasoning, and use your favorite enchilada recipe. Or use it in a chicken soup recipe, such as Chicken Tortilla Soup. I must be in a mood to eat Mexican food today!

FORT Fan

When it's too hot to cook, I keep a variety of salads in the fridge that I put together one day very early in the a.m.

I usually keep a German Cucumber/Potato/Dill salad, a 4-bean salad, a rice salad, a couple of pasta salads, a German Parsley/Potato salad and an American-style potato salad on hand. The potatoes for all salads can be cooked all at once so the kitchen only gets warmed up once.

A whole week's work of lunches and dinners with maybe a tossed green salad and a brat on the side for variety at the end of the week.

I'm really grooving on liverwurst on crackers right now. Easy, cold, protein, iron.
    For leftover chicken, I like to make curried chicken - a can of coconut milk, a couple tablespoons of red curry paste, a few veggies (I like water chestnuts, onions and green peas) and the chicken - all over rice. I also like to do crockpot chicken soup - it leeches out the salt.
    Count your blessings!

Thank you luvsginger and Gutmutter for your ideas about the chicken. I decided to give it to the cats. Just thinking about the way it tasted the night before left me feeling queasy. And the texture of the white meat portion was just "odd". Apparently I'm the only one who feels chicken has developed a weird texture ever since most places went natural. And I've never really liked reheated chicken. It has always tasted bad to me. The only time I can even tolerate reheated chicken is if it's fried and that's not even always. There's just something about chicken the next day that doesn't sit well with my palate. I'm the same way about turkey.

Closed Thread