Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Help!!! I have a bumper crop of black raspberries this year and have already harvested and processed quite a bit. But I went out today and they looked fuzzy. On closer inspection it looks like mold in between the individual tiny bulbs on each berry. Is my imagination running away with me? Are they edible? What if I cook them (pies, jam)? or put them in an acid bath - lemon juice or something? I mean, I could probably fill 5 or 6 gallon bags with what's still on the bushes, but I don't want to waste my time picking them in this heat if they're inedible.
    Count your blessings!

I had this at a wedding shower this afternoon. I'm not a big fan of salads like this because I hate mayo, but this one was so good. My friend just emailed me the recipe after I begged asked nicely.

Bowtie Chicken Salad

1 1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
    1 1/2 cups rotini pasta
    1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 (20 oz can) pineapple, drained
    1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
    2 ribs of celery, diced
    3 green onions, diced
    1 cup Craisins
    1 cup cashews (if desired)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup mayonnaise

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool pasta. In a large bowl, add pasta, chicken, pineapple, grapes, celery, onion, and Craisins. In a separate bowl mix sugar and mayo. Pour over pasta mixture and toss. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Mix in cashews just before serving.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I am a TOTAL novice at this but I went to the farmers market Saturday and bought some green beans to cook for me since I'm going to be home alone for the next few days.

My question is...I'm thinking about going back next week and buying a big bunch of green beans and then putting them up to eat during the winter months. How do you "put up" vegetables? I've seen them frozen in ziploc bags and then I've seen them canned. What's the best/easiest way for a novice?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3138444;
    I am a TOTAL novice at this but I went to the farmers market Saturday and bought some green beans to cook for me since I'm going to be home alone for the next few days.

My question is...I'm thinking about going back next week and buying a big bunch of green beans and then putting them up to eat during the winter months. How do you "put up" vegetables? I've seen them frozen in ziploc bags and then I've seen them canned. What's the best/easiest way for a novice?
    Here's the best way I've found.

Wash them and don't snap them. Let them dry. Arrange them in a single layer on a metal cookie sheet and stick in the freezer for about an hour. They will be "individually" frozen. You can then put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer and when you use them, you can just take out as many as you want and they won't be one big lump of frozen green beans like they would if you have put them in the bag without "flash freezing" them first.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I would add to that that most people parboil them first... plunge in boiling water for just a minute or two.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is that the same as 'blanching'?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3138485;
    Is that the same as 'blanching'?
    No that was something that was always referred to in the "Golden Girls"

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3120355;
    Grilled Pork Chops
    4-6 lean pork chops
    3-4 Tablespoons dijon mustard
    kosher salt
    1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
    Rub pork chops with dijon mustard, olive oil and salt. Marinade for a minimum 2 hours. Grill until done. Serve with grilled peaches. Enjoy!
    I made this tonight and it was very good. Thanks for the recipe. I had peaches to grill and I totally forgot to cut them and put them on the grill. I ended up just eating one for a sweet treat after dinner.

Yardgnome, glad you enjoyed the pork chops! Maybe peaches next time!!!

We found some really nice raspberries in the supermarket this weekend, the first time this year we've seen locally produced fresh ones . They were really tasty but just sour enough that the following "recipe" tasted great:

Mock raspberry cheesecake
    Turkish (or greek) yoghurt (about 1 1/2 cup per person)
    Powdered sugar
    Sweet granola
    Raspberries
    Honey
    Fresh mint to decorate

Mix the yoghurt with about 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar and set aside. In a tall, chilled glass, layer the granola, raspberries and sweetened yoghurt. Dribble honey on top and decorate with mint.

Closed Thread