Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3136522;
    I make a fabulous greek stuffed pepper.
    Post the recipe please! And thanks again for the blueberry muffin recipe. I made two batches so far (yes, in this heat!) and they were so yummy. My husband noticed that we're down to two...that was a hint from him! Maybe I'll crank up the air conditioning tomorrow and make some fresh for breakfast!

luvsginger, let us know how the Slushies taste! If the Diet Coke works, that'd be awesome!

doxie, I haven't made quiche in ages, which is a shame 'cause it's so tasty! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Tonight, we bought focaccia bread, extra sauce, cheese and will be making pizzas. Yum!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3137198;
    Doxie and Lois Lane,
    I just made slushies in the ice cream maker.
    I placed a one liter bottle of strawberry soda in the machine and let it go for 15 minutes. It made the exact same slurpie you get at 7-11!!!!! The directions say you can use any liquid as long as it is not sugar-free, I am going to test it with diet coke and see what happens. I'll let you know.
    My kids LOVED them! Maybe you can try it this weekend, I guarantee it will be a hit with the kids!
    YAY!!! I love slurpies and especially Coke Icees! I am going to try this. I talked to Mr. Doxie (who is still at work) earlier and told him about this and he's made plans to snag a few of those spoon/straw things that come with Slurpies from the gas station on the way home.

Now, I'm thinking about trying out some "adult beverages" in that machine... Margaritas anyone? So much for getting any yard work done this weekend. The only thing working around here is going to be the ice cream/slurpie/margarita maker!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3137437;
    Now, I'm thinking about trying out some "adult beverages" in that machine... Margaritas anyone? So much for getting any yard work done this weekend. The only thing working around here is going to be the ice cream/slurpie/margarita maker!
    Will the alcohol allow it to freeze? I just make them in my magic bullet. I wonder what a frozen Mojito(a?) would taste like.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3137737;
    Will the alcohol allow it to freeze? I just make them in my magic bullet. I wonder what a frozen Mojito(a?) would taste like.
    I would think so. I've seen the giant frozen drink machines in bars, swirling away with margaritas and daiquiris.

Mmm, frozen mojitos sound good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

mediterranean stuffed peppers

6 bell peppers (We prefer the red ones), tops sliced off and cleaned inside
    4 green onions
    1 lb. ground lamb (or hamburger or turkey. We prefer the lamb and the grocery store grinds it for me using shoulder blade steaks)
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    2 cups fresh spinach chopped
    2 tbs. fresh basil chopped
    1/2 can of diced tomatos
    1/2 can of tomato sauce
    4 oz feta cheese crumbled
    1 cup orzo pasta (dry, before cooking)
    black olives optional
    1 tbsp. Cavenders All purpose Greek seasoning
    Salt and pepper

Cook orzo and drain. Saute lamb with 2 of the chopped green onions and garlic. Drain fat. Add lamb, orzo, spinach, basil, tomatos, sauce and feta cheese and remaining 2 green onions chopped to a bowl and toss to coat everything. Add 1 tbsp. of Cavender's greek all purpose seasoning and some salt and pepper.

Stuff inside the hollowed out peppers. If there is any stuffing left over, I mound it around the bottoms of the peppers. Cook at 350 for 40 min.

I've made this with both ground turkey and hamburger, but we prefer the lamb for the flavor.

Note: I like the red peppers best, they have a better flavor, but can be more expensive.
    Also, you can add about 1/3 cup of sliced black olives to the mixture. Mr. Rosie doesn't eat them, so I don't add them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3137737;
    I guess I will have to make it my personal mission this evening to find out! I will report back with the results!

Will the alcohol allow it to freeze?
    The beauty of alcohol is that it allows just enough freezing for a slushy texture, but not so much that it freezes too much like a sorbet or something like that.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3137824;
    The beauty of alcohol is that it allows just enough freezing for a slushy texture, but not so much that it freezes too much like a sorbet or something like that.
    And here I thought the beauty of alcohol is that it makes you want to get up and dance!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3137922;
    And here I thought the beauty of alcohol is that it makes you want to get up and dance!
    Oh, that's a given!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Closed Thread