Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD

Re: Recipes

I love Souvlakia, dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) and mousaka (even if it does have eggplant in it), spinch and feta pies. Kalamata olives, feta cheese.
    Oh my. I spent a couple weeks in Greece once and the food and fresh produce was awesome!

I am now actually wanting greek food. I make a fabulous greek stuffed pepper. Maybe we will have that for dinner tonight.

That quiche sounds good too. Might be on my weekend menu.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When the weather is as hot and sticky as it has been, the last thing I want to do is fire up the oven and heat the house even more. It was a lazy dinner last night of steaks on the gtill and an easy salad of chick peas, tuna, red onion and balsamic vinaigrette.
    CYA

Lil I made that Southwest Chicken recipe and it was a huge hit with my family! So easy, and so good...no leftovers at all. Thanks, that is definitely a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3136590;
    When the weather is as hot and sticky as it has been, the last thing I want to do is fire up the oven and heat the house even more.

Amen I was pretty pissed off the other day about that exact thing. I had been wanting to try a couple of different muffin recipes and finally went for it, hot oven and all... and hated each of the recipes! Sucked! My house was heated up and dishes dirtied all for nothing...

I went to Trader Joe's for the first time today. If you remember me craving their gorgonzola cheese spread a few months ago, I finally got it out of my system. I bought 3 wheels of it (actually Rising Sun Farms brand). Yum. I tried it with a couple different kinds of crackers and then on apple slices before I made myself put it away. I also got dark chocolate covered candied ginger and something my daughter had gotten on a layover in Holland or Denmark - thin waffle wafers with a carmelized brown sugar syrup between them. She had gotten several boxes of them and was sad when they were gone. These are smaller and in a bag, but same thing. She will flip when she sees them. Lots of other goodies. It will be a regular stop for me now even though it's half an hour away.
    Count your blessings!

Those waffle wafer cookies are sinful! I actually ate an entire box of the plain ones in one sitting!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Stroopwaffles are addictive, that's for sure!
    Also good are the espresso-filled dark chocolates. And the Gold Rush Red wine -- for a cheap (six or seven bucks per bottle, I think?) wine, it's an amazingly good meritage!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3126230;
    I have not tried this yet, but it sounds like it would be yummy!

Very Berry Frozen Yogurt
    makes eight 1/2 cup servings

2 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
    1 12 ounce bag frozen berries, pureed and strained OR 2 cups fresh berries, pureed and strained.
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/4 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Pour into freezer bowl and let mix for 25 - 30 minutes.

I'm thinking that I might try this without the entire puree ahd straining process - it just seems like the ice cream machine will mix everything up just as well. I have fresh strawberries and I am thinking that I could wash and chop them and then just put them into the ice cream machine and see what happens.... I will keep y'all posted.
    Doxie and Lois Lane,
    I just made slushies in the ice cream maker.
    I placed a one liter bottle of strawberry soda in the machine and let it go for 15 minutes. It made the exact same slurpie you get at 7-11!!!!! The directions say you can use any liquid as long as it is not sugar-free, I am going to test it with diet coke and see what happens. I'll let you know.
    My kids LOVED them! Maybe you can try it this weekend, I guarantee it will be a hit with the kids!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3137198;
    Doxie and Lois Lane,
    I just made slushies in the ice cream maker.
    I placed a one liter bottle of strawberry soda in the machine and let it go for 15 minutes. It made the exact same slurpie you get at 7-11!!!!! The directions say you can use any liquid as long as it is not sugar-free, I am going to test it with diet coke and see what happens. I'll let you know.
    My kids LOVED them! Maybe you can try it this weekend, I guarantee it will be a hit with the kids!
    I used to LOVE Slurpees and Icees, but as I only drink diet sodas now, I can't buy them anymore. I would love to know if it works with diet coke as I might possibly invest in the future in an ice cream maker for diet coke Icees.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3137215;
    I used to LOVE Slurpees and Icees, but as I only drink diet sodas now, I can't buy them anymore. I would love to know if it works with diet coke as I might possibly invest in the future in an ice cream maker for diet coke Icees.
    I'll let you know as soon as I try it, should be later today. I'm wondering if you could just add club soda and that Italian Soda flavoring in a sugar free flavor. Anyway, I'll give it a whirl (no pun intended) and give you an update.

Closed Thread