Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Or you can do what I do on days like that -- every man for themselves! Mr. M asks "Are we on our own tonight?" -- he knows... I think they get a kick out of rummaging through the fridge and pantry for "on your own night" - our son chooses Spaghettios with Meatballs more often than not... Yuck!!

MRD

All great ideas. Thank you and it reminded me I do have brats in the freezer!!

I have frozen corn and peas too.

So I think I will throw the brats in the skillet, microwave some veggies and call it supper.

I'd do the every man for themselves, but I've done that a little too much lately and I don't have anything like spagettios they could do for themselves. I'm even out of the basic staple around here: Kraft mac and cheese with the squishy packet of cheese sauce and the other staple, frozen pizza

I was looking in my pantry and I have lots that I COULD cook, but it would require effort and I am not into effort tonight. I am into lazy, hot, tired and fed up, don't want to cook mode tonight

I have several boxes of rice mixes, several kinds of pasta. Canned diced tomatos and beans. LOTS of crackers for some reason. I could even make crash hot potatos, but don't feel like the effort.

it is one of THOSE days around here.

Maybe I will dazzle them with a fabulous dinner tomorrow night.

And WE LOVE breakfast for dinner around here. But the brats and frozen veggies are even easier than making bacon, eggs and pancakes.

OK, you all win the virtual check and see you soon on the Disney Princess Cake challenge!
    THANKS GUYS!

ETA: I don't even have bread to do sandwiches, although Mr. MRD could stop and get some. Hmm, sandwiches sound even better as everyone could fix their own.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that has nights like these.
    Margaritaville, you make me feel so much better. Thank you.

Well, you just know that Paula doesn't cook everynight either. And neither does Emeril or Tyler Florence. But they have the bucks to go eat a fabulous dinner out. Do you ever wonder if they eat frozen pizza and kraft mac and cheese? I bet they all have secret food like that in their houses.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Tonight I refused to cook. I'm not feeling great and my son is driving me nuts (I'm supposed to entertain him don't you know? )

DH is going to get pizza and I'm throwing a salad together with the veggies we've got. I just want to lay here today.
    Yup, with donuts!!

This is my summer "goto" dish when I don't feel like cooking.

Tuna Mac salad

Boil up some elbow macaroni. Rinse under cold water. Drain 2 cans of tuna. Add some mayo or miracle whip. And some frozen peas. S/P to taste. I also sometimes add cheese cubes, green pepper, celery all that optional. ALSO a teaspoon of good seasons italian seasoning OR ranch seasoning. Mix all and chill. Keep in fridge and direct hungry family members to help themselves cause I'm not cooking dinner tonight.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I love tuna salad. Neither my son or DH like tuna in anything other than a sandwich!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3136049;
    I love tuna salad. Neither my son or DH like tuna in anything other than a sandwich!
    my family eat tuna casserole and that's it. In a sandwich they would revolt.

We all prefer fresh tuna, but I prefer a lot of things that we don't eat because I can't afford to feed 4 hungry people $16.99 a pound fresh tuna!

FORT Fan

I have been hooked on greek veggie pitas lately. I have to toast the bread in a pan first because I like it crunchy and warm. Then I add shredded lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese and greek dressing. I love them so much, but unfortunately all of the veggies can upset my stomach, but it is so worth it. I know this is Jr. high cooking 101- but it's so easy that I forget about it.

MRD

I love greek food. I wish I could find a REALLY good Greek salad here.

I have found a place with to die for baklava.

Does your grocery store carry instant Udon noodles? Add a poached egg, chopped veggies, bean sprouts and leftover meat from the fridge (I use Spam) and you have a nice big bowl of noodles that's filling and different. I do this with ramen, too. But get the good brand, called Sapporo Ichiban, they're more expensive (69cents, or so) and the brand that's most popular in Japan. The best part of this meal is that it costs a whopping $5 to feed a family of four!

Ahh, Greek food....I love Gyros!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3136345;
    Ahh, Greek food....I love Gyros!
    I love Greek food too. MRD - there is a pizza place here that has a wonderful Greek Salad. It's better than the Greek Salads at Greek restaurants! I hope you can discover something like that there.

This is one of my favorites for those nights when I don't want to cook.

Easy Quiche

1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
    4 tsp. flour
    1/2 cup cooked ham, diced
    3 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Place pie crust in pie plate
    In medium bowl, toss cheese and flour together
    Sprinkle over pie crust
    Sprinkle ham over cheese/flour mixture

In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard. Beat together until smooth.
    Pour over cheese/ham.

Cover Quiche with plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil (make sure to wrap it tightly in foil).
    Place Quiche in freezer.
    When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400, remove plastic wrap and foil and bake for 60 minutes or intil filling is set and golden brown.

That is the original recipe and here are a few of my "hints"....

I make these two at a time because the pie crusts come in boxes of two

I also use the disposable foil pie plates and they work great for this. They come in packages of two as well, so it's perfect.

ANYTHING can go in these things. I usually add onion to the recipe above but I've also made them with various combinations of ingredients like spinach, mushrooms, bacon, broccoli, etc. I think that whatever would taste good in an omelette would be good in this.

Leftovers reheat really well in the microwave (although crust tends to get a bit soggy) or in the oven.

Enjoy!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Closed Thread