Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Does anyone have tips on a broccoli/cheese/rice casserole? I have my mother's recipe (which involves onion, celery, the broccoli and cheese and rice, a cream-of soup, and which we only have at holidays) but am open to tips for making it better, or less fatty. I usually make a pot of soup or a casserole on Sundays for my week's lunches, and am thinking of doing that one this week.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Lucy, you could use lowfat cheese and substitute low fat mayo for some of the soup. I have found that the cream of soups are now out in lower fat, healthier versions.
    I usually always add ground mustard to almost anything I cook (soup, stew, casseroles, etc.) as it gives it a very rich flavor. Also a tablespoon or two of worchestershire sauce also adds some flavor.
    My grandmother made a similar casserole and she used cheez-it crackers mashed into crumbs to top the casserole. I really liked THAT part!

I looked up lower fat versions of that casserole and they all said to use low fat cheese and a lower fat version of the soup.

This isn't a casserole, but it's a salad I really like in summer. (problem, I like a lot of these kinds of salads and my family won't eat them. I either need to have a party like on the 4th when I made cornbread salad or find some other people to hang out with that will eat like I want too. )
    I love this salad. The first time I saw it at a party, I had reservations, but amazingly the flavors really work together well.

Broccoli Salad

5 cups fresh broccoli florets
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
    1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
    1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
    Dressing:
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    Preparation:
    Combine broccoli florets, raisins, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, and peas in a large serving bowl. In a separate bowl or large cup, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Add dressing to the salad and toss to mix well; chill thoroughly before serving.
    Broccoli salad serves 4 to 6.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

This is another GREAT summer salad, but it also makes a lot. But I love it.

Greek Pasta Salad
    1 8 oz. box orzo pasta, cooked, drained and cooled
    2 cups chopped cucumber
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I leave this out as I don't like it)
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 can drained and rinsed chick peas
    1 small can sliced black olives (or use half a can of small black olives and slice them yourself)
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Toss ingredients together in large bowl.

Dressing:
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix well and toss in salad.

If the salad sits for over a day, you may have to add a bit more dressing which as you can see is super easy to make, because the orzo tends to soak it up and then the salad gets kind of dry.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3127203;
    PINK LEMONADE PIE
    1 graham cracker pie crust
    1 sm. can (6 oz.) frozen pink lemonade, thawed (can use limeade)
    1 sm. container cool whip
    1 can condensed milk
    Mix together thawed pink lemonade, cool whip, and condensed milk. Beat until smooth and pour into pie shell. Freeze until firm. Garnish with lemon slices and freshment. Great on a hot, summer day.
    That is a delicious pie tapper. I've also made it exchanging the Lemonade for Limeade.
    CYA

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3127106;
    I learned the most delicious way to prepare/serve heirloom tomatoes -- from the guy that did up the sample tray at the farmers' market:
    Slice up the tomatoes and arrange them on a plate. Top with fresh basil -- whole or chiffonade (whole is easier and more dramatic looking, but the chiffonade releases more of the basil's flavor and aroma) Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle on a bit of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Eat a lot of it; share if you're feeling generous!
    That's pretty much how I've been serving tomatos around here for the past month! We love them that way. Then later, hubby can make a tomato sandwich if we have any leftover slices.
    Someone gave me a flavored olive oil and I have been using that. It's great. It is a leek flavor oil, so it's great with the tomatos

I'm going to go out and pick black raspberries in a minute and will have a lot to deal with. Any favorite recipes out there?
    Count your blessings!

No, but cobbler sounds good. We'll take some off your hands.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

I made this recipe this morning and they were the best muffins EVER! Gut, I think they would do well with raspberries too.

Oh and it's a Paula Deen, but it is fabulous and that is NOT a typo on the baking powder either. And the sprinkle of sugar on the top made them over the top. We loved that!

Blueberry Muffins
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    3/4 cup whole milk
    1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup granulated brown sugar or white sugar for topping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
    In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. In another bowl, combine butter, egg, and milk and mix well. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and with a spatula, stir until just combined. Do not beat or over mix; it's okay if there are lumps in the batter. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tray, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the granulated brown or white sugar and return the muffins to the oven to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before turning the muffins out.

Recipes : Blueberry Muffin : Food Network

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Question: Can you use self-rising flour (I think that's what it's called), in place of plain flour and baking powder? And I am talking about just 'in general', or should you use the two separate ingredients in some recipes?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3127560;
    Question: Can you use self-rising flour (I think that's what it's called), in place of plain flour and baking powder? And I am talking about just 'in general', or should you use the two separate ingredients in some recipes?
    I have found that when I tried to use self-rising flour in recipes that called for regular flour and baking powder, it didn't work out so well.

You can make your own self-rising flour using baking powder and flour and I think maybe some salt??? I dont' know, but I bet you can google it.

I have staples that are always in m y pantry: flour (self-rising and all purpose), sugar (white and brown), baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract. Seems that if I have those items, then I am usually fairly well set for almost anything baking wise.

Closed Thread