Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3126779;
    Do you happen to know if the artificial sweetener is Splenda in the pudding? I can't tolerate that and they don't always advertise it. I end up throwing away more sugar free stuff because of Splenda.
    They do use Splenda gut.

Good Luck myrosiedog....let me know how you liked it. I posted it with some of the simple grill recipes. This is the easiest recipe, the thyme makes it so good but as you can tell by by posts, I love rosemary so I use that as well. I know I say this all the time, I LOVE FRESH HERBS!!!
    Enjoy!

MRD

Gut, I have the Swiss Miss sugar free pudding this time and it does have Splenda. I don't know of the Jello Pudding does.

Oh, tonight was a Farmer's Market bounty: fresh corn on the cob, steamed green beans, heirloom tomatos sliced with fresh basil, mashed potatos (decided to do mashed as we haven't had those in a while and the sauce from the pork chops was heaven on them) and pork chops (which I did a variation on Luvsginger's recipe as I didn't have an hour to marinate, so I browned them in a skillet, then added in white wine, chicken broth, dijon mustard and thyme, put a lid on and let them simmer for about 20 min., but the mustard really added a nice touch)
    I thought my husband would need help getting up from the table, he ate so much. The veggies were so fresh and so good, it was like tasting sunshine!!!!! The corn was really sweet.
    I LOVE summer veggies!

Luvsginger: I couldn't grill tonight and I didn't have time to marinate, so I made a variation of them and they were still good. Thanks for the guidence.

I think fresh rosemary is my favorite herb. I love fresh herbs and it's good as that seems to be the ONLY thing I can grow.
    I love the taste of the rosemary and I love the smell.
    Basil is my second love.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-12-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

[B][B]myrosiedog, your pork chops sounds so good!!! I wish my son' braces weren't hurting his teeth tonight. I guess I'll have to wait until next week try your variation. We are in the midst of a heat wave so cooking indoors is out of the question (we don't have a/c), I live in an area of the country that normally does not get too warm in the summer but global warming is messing with our weather patterns.

The following is one of my all time favorite appetizers:

Heirloom Tomato and Fresh Pesto Bruschetta

Ingredients:
    1 baguette
    heirloom tomatoes
    balsamic vinegar
    goat cheese
    chopped basil
    *1 recipe pesto

Step one: slice baguette on the diagonal ¼ - ½ inch and toast in 350degree oven for 15-20 minutes
    Step two: chop tomatoes and place in strainer for about 30 minutes to drain excess liquid.
    Step three: toss with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for at least an hour or overnight.

Step four:
    *Basil Pesto:
    Ingredients
    3 cloves garlic
    1 large bunch basil leaves (about 2 cups)
    1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
    sea salt or kosher salt
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese

Blend peeled garlic, basil leaves and half the olive oil and cheese in food processor. Use low speed and stop often to stir.
    Add remainder of the oil and pine nuts.
    Let it sit for at least one hour for the best flavor.
    You can add more or less garlic depending on our tastes but I find 3 cloves is plenty

Steps one through four should be done a day ahead otherwise, start in the morning if you need this appetizer for the evening.

Assembly – this can be done at your destination or right before guests arrive.
    I usually get my kids to do it for me, they enjoy helping and getting the credit.

1. Spread pesto on baguette slices
    2. Spread a layer of tomato mixture on top of pesto.
    3. Place crumbled goat cheese on top of tomatoes.
    4. Top with freshly chopped basil.

I know this recipe sounds time consuming but once the flavors hit your mouth, it will all be worth it. I can’t believe the difference in tastes from store bought pesto and homemade, it really is worth the time to make it from scratch.

Another variation is to use Buratta cheese. Buratta is a mozzarella cheese that is made with fresh cream. It is very difficult to find and only the finest cheese chops will sell it. Most is imported from Italy and has a very short shelf life (3 days). There is a company in southern CA that makes it and will ship it to you. I reserve this cheese for very special occasions but it is worth it to splurge.

Your bruschetta recipes sounds wonderful luvsginger! The only herb I planted this year was basil and it looks like there will be enough for some pesto. So I'll give it a try.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I learned the most delicious way to prepare/serve heirloom tomatoes -- from the guy that did up the sample tray at the farmers' market:
    Slice up the tomatoes and arrange them on a plate. Top with fresh basil -- whole or chiffonade (whole is easier and more dramatic looking, but the chiffonade releases more of the basil's flavor and aroma) Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle on a bit of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Eat a lot of it; share if you're feeling generous!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Has anyone had Buratta cheese before? I love it, it's great on heirloom tomatoes with fresh basil.

PINK LEMONADE PIE
    1 graham cracker pie crust
    1 sm. can (6 oz.) frozen pink lemonade, thawed (can use limeade)
    1 sm. container cool whip
    1 can condensed milk
    Mix together thawed pink lemonade, cool whip, and condensed milk. Beat until smooth and pour into pie shell. Freeze until firm. Garnish with lemon slices and freshment. Great on a hot, summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3126230;
    I have not tried this yet, but it sounds like it would be yummy!

Very Berry Frozen Yogurt
    makes eight 1/2 cup servings

2 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
    1 12 ounce bag frozen berries, pureed and strained OR 2 cups fresh berries, pureed and strained.
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/4 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Pour into freezer bowl and let mix for 25 - 30 minutes.

I'm thinking that I might try this without the entire puree ahd straining process - it just seems like the ice cream machine will mix everything up just as well. I have fresh strawberries and I am thinking that I could wash and chop them and then just put them into the ice cream machine and see what happens.... I will keep y'all posted.
    I'm eating the frozen yogurt right now! Yummy! The family said it is "the best one I've made!".

I used fresh blackberries, and before adding them to the yogurt mixture, i mixed them with a hand mixer to smash them. The texture is perfect, you have to love berries and the seeds to enjoy this recipe (our family favorite). The color is a bright purple and it is so refreshing. Thank you!!!! Let me know if you try the strawberries, this was really really good!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it! I LOVE blackberries. I know what I will be making tomorrow. We had a lake house when I was a kid and blackberry bushes grew all along the sides of the (dirt) road that led to the house. My parents would drop my brother and I off at the end of the road with buckets and we would pick berries as we walked to the house. It was always funny to me that my parents took the DOG all of the way to the house yet made us get out and "harvest the crop":.... In the end though, we spent all winter eating delicious PIES and blackberry preserves (and the dog didn't get any ) so we never really minded being child laborers.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Closed Thread