Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

doxie, I mix up pretty much that exact same thing, only with half the milk and Splenda, no sugar and just run it through the blender, and it's like a thick milk shake or sorbet already--no ice cream maker needed. I make it even "berrier" by using a 'matching' flavored low fat sugar free yogurt, and add a little bit of vanilla flavoring.

If you use fresh strawberries, and wanted to try my way, just freeze them on a cookie sheet overnight.

I think the straining and pureeing thing is for people who don't like seeds or any fruit pulp in their food; those things don't bother me, so I don't try to get them out.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I've been marinating all night some Korean short ribs in a marinade recipe I found on the internet. The marinade smells pretty good so I hope they turn out okay. I won't be making them until this evening. I think I'll make crash hot potatoes to go with them. Does that sound like an odd side dish to go with asian?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3126338;
    I think I'll make crash hot potatoes to go with them. Does that sound like an odd side dish to go with asian?
    No way.....the crash potatoes are so good they go with everything.
    CYA

Could somebody tell me what post # the crashed potatoes are in or re-post it? I don't have time to go searching and everyone raves about them. Thanks
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;3124181;
    I love reading the recipe section, but has anyone suggested that there is a sub-thread, so the recipes could be listed by themselves for easy reference? It's so hard going through hundreds of pages to find them, it's not like I am organized enough to write page numbers down. Just a thought.
    I've often thought we should collect the recipes and publish them. Even if it was just for all of us.

But I agree with Lucy, it's the responses and the tips that I like too.

Now you guys have me wanting homemade ice cream, but I want fresh peach ice cream!!! And I dont have a maker.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-12-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Here you go Gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3040883;
    I have to share this potato side dish recipe with you guys! I saw it on pioneer woman's site - and it tastes even better than it looks. It was quite the hit.

Crash Hot Potatoes

ingredients
    small new "red" potatoes
    olive oil (I substituted veg oil - we don't like olive oil)
    kosher salt
    cracked black pepper
    rosemary (or any herb you would like to substitute)

Bring a pot of salted water up to a boil, and add potatoes. Cook potatoes until they are fork tender. Drizzle oil on a sheet pan - you don't want the potatoes to stick. Place cooked potatoes on the pan - be sure to leave plenty of space between them. Next, use a potato masher to gently smash the potatoes - once in each direction. At this point, they should resemble cookies. Generously brush the potatoes with oil, then top with kosher salt, pepper, and your herb of choice (finely minced/chopped). Place in a 450' oven on the top shelf and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve and wait for the compliments to begin

Now this is the recipe in my words - and I am not nearly as eloquent as Pioneer Woman. If you would like to see her recipe AND see photos - you can click here Cooking » Blog Archive » Crash Hot Potatoes

Thanks. I'll be making them tonight.
    Count your blessings!

I want to share one of our new favorites that I found a couple months ago on a food blog.

Southwest Chicken

*4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

*1 can cream of chicken soup

*1/2 C water

*1 can of corn, drained (You could use a can of Mexican corn for extra flavor. The last time I made this I had fresh ears of corn on hand so I roasted 2 and then scraped the kernels off and used those.)

*1 can of black beans, drained

*3/4 C uncooked long grain white rice

*1 1/4 C of your favorite salsa (I use my homemade salsa)

*2 to 3 dashes of cumin

*1 to 2 dashes of cayenne

*paprika

*3/4 C Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded

* 4 oz can of green chilies

In a 2 Qt baking dish, mix soup, salsa, water, corn, rice, green chilies, beans and dashes of cumin and cayenne.
    Lay the chicken on top. Sprinkle paprika over the dish, cover with foil and bake at 475 for about 35 minutes. Remove the foil, cover with cheese and bake another 10 minutes or until the cheese turns that delightful golden brown and gets all bubbly. Then you know it's done.

This dish is a massive hit in my family! I served it with jalapeno cornbread and the best part? It only takes about 5 minutes to prep the whole thing!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

I LOVE the farmers market. I got some great really small new potatoes so we will be having the crash potatos again tonight too.

I also got some of that fabulous pasta. (I really think that's my favorite booth).
    Today I got garlic and chive noodles and I got ravioli that is goat cheese, artichoke, capers and spinach. I can't WAIT to have that!!!

Also more peaches, heirloom tomatos, corn, blueberries, asparagus, sweet potatos and green beans. The heirloom tomatos are just so great looking and smelling I can't WAIT to eat them.
    I almost got a watermelon, but I couldn't figure out how to carry that with all the other stuff I had.
    I got more produce today for about half what I'd buy it in the store for. I LOVE the farmer's market. (did I already say that? )

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;1490272;
    I co-hosted a baby shower today for a friend who is adopting. I had to made an appetizer. After doing some looking for something fun, another friend recommended the following:

Tomato-Gruyere Tart Squares

1 sheet (8 oz) frozen puff pastry
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 large shallot minced
    1 cup (about 4 oz. by weight) shredded Gruyere cheese
    1 pound ripe heirloom or Roma tomatoes (or you can substitute vine ripened)1/2 tsp. fresh or 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
    Remove the puff pastry from the package and let it stand at room temperature until pliable (about 30 minutes); unfold if necessary. Set the pastry sheet on a work surface. With a rolling pin, press it into a slightly larger rectangle, about 11 by 10 inches. Lift the pastry gently and transfer it to a baking sheet. Spread the mustard in a thin layer to within 1/2 inch from the edge of the pastry. Sprinkle the shallots, then the shredded cheese, over the mustard, also covering to 1/2 inch from the edge of the pastry.

Cut the heirloom tomatoes in half crosswise and gently squeeze them over a sink to extract their seeds (I didn't bother with the vine ripened tomatoes I used). With a sharp knife, thinly slice the tomatoes. (If using Roma tomatoes, core and thinly slice them crosswise.) Arrange the tomatoes on top of the cheese in 3 or more vertical rows, slightly overlapping them as necessary and covering to 1/2 inch from the edge of the pastry. Sprinkle the thyme, salt and pepper to taste over the tomatoes. Fold in the edges of the pastry to the tomatoes; it does not have to be perfectly neat. Bake the tart until the edges turn golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the tart and let it stand until cooled slightly. Put the tart on a cutting board and cut into 16 squares. Serve warm. (Tart can be made up to 4 hours ahead and reheated in a 300 degree oven until warm).

It was easy and it turned out great.

mrd,

If you have a lot of great heirloom tomatoes right now and you need to make an appetizer for something, I would highly recommend the above.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Closed Thread