Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3124635;
    Aww, crap! Now you all have me craving homemade ice cream! Guess what I'll be pulling out of the cabinet this weekend . . .
    DON'T USE MY RECIPES! They didn't turn out well! Or if you do, only make 1/3 of it 'cause it makes a TON!

I'm going to try the vanilla recipe Luvsginger posted. If it works out well, I may try doubling it later and see if the consistency still stays nice. Now I feel like a scientist trying to figure out how to make the best ice cream.

I will tell you that when I was making my ice cream, I was thinking, "Ah, this is why it costs so much to buy some of that premium ice cream." There is a TON of cream that goes into it!

p.s. my ice cream maker is about the size of an old milk bucket and it looks like one, too! It's one of those new fangled things made to look old!!! So it's big enough that nothing overflows...it just tastes ice milky!

Here is the recipe for the frozen yogurt that we've enjoyed:

Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
    makes eight 1/2 cup servings

1 cup whole milk
    6 ounces semisweet-chocolate chips
    2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
    1/4 cup sugar

Combine milk and chocolate in blender or food processor until blended and smooth. Add yogurt and sugar. Process/blend about 15 seconds. Pour into freezer bowl and let mix until thickened - about 25-30 minutes. Transfer into airtight container and freeze if a firmer texture is desired.

Ok - the first time, I made this, it was good. The second time I made it, I was too lazy to deal with the blender/food processor and I just stirred everything together and put the chips in whole. That resulted in a rather bizarre looking (but great tasting) frozen concoction!

Also - I read back through my manual and it says that you should put the ice cream in a separate container because it will "stick to the sides of the freezer bowl and may result in damage". The freezer bowl can make up to 1 1/2 quarts.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Doxie,
    That sounds delicious! The only problem is I just made chocolate ice cream and my family is sick of chocolate, do you have another fro yo recipe other than chocolate? Or, what do you suggest I replace the choco chips with?
    Lois - did you read the last comment Doxie made? Now we have our answer regarding why we transfer the ice cream.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

How come no one else has recipes that require 10,000 gallons of whipping cream in theirs? Surely mine can't be the biggest ice cream maker in the world?!!!

Thanks guys! If I have time, I'm going to try to make this this weekend...

Lois, where did you buy that thing, a restaurant supply store?

Well, tonight I fixed the grilled rosemary chicken for supper, along with the beloved crash potatoes, steamed zucchini and a glass of chardonnay. Absolutely delightful!

Cheers to you, Luvsginger, because that was an excellent recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it out in sandwich form tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;3124181;
    I love reading the recipe section, but has anyone suggested that there is a sub-thread, so the recipes could be listed by themselves for easy reference? It's so hard going through hundreds of pages to find them, it's not like I am organized enough to write page numbers down. Just a thought.
    I have no idea if we could do that or not -- good idea, although often the responses to a recipe might be what convince me to try it. In the meantime, though, you can search the thread by word if you're looking for something specific you remember being mentioned.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Mantenna, Yay! Glad you liked it! Don't forget the avocado!

My hubby (an excellent cook!) and I are now hooked on crash potatoes -- we've been using baby Yukon golds from the farmers' market.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3126127;
    Doxie,
    That sounds delicious! The only problem is I just made chocolate ice cream and my family is sick of chocolate, do you have another fro yo recipe other than chocolate? Or, what do you suggest I replace the choco chips with?
    Lois - did you read the last comment Doxie made? Now we have our answer regarding why we transfer the ice cream.
    I have not tried this yet, but it sounds like it would be yummy!

Very Berry Frozen Yogurt
    makes eight 1/2 cup servings

2 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
    1 12 ounce bag frozen berries, pureed and strained OR 2 cups fresh berries, pureed and strained.
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/4 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Pour into freezer bowl and let mix for 25 - 30 minutes.

I'm thinking that I might try this without the entire puree ahd straining process - it just seems like the ice cream machine will mix everything up just as well. I have fresh strawberries and I am thinking that I could wash and chop them and then just put them into the ice cream machine and see what happens.... I will keep y'all posted.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Closed Thread