Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Doxie, I love mine! Do you transfer your ice cream after you make it?

Lois, what make is yours? I can't wait to hear if "my tip" worked for you.

Now that I have found this thread, every time I make something I want to share it with you FORT members!
    We're having a heatwave where I live and so I decided to make a cool salad for dinner. My kids and husband LOVE this salad dressing.

Papaya Seed Dressing
    1 medium papaya, seeds removed (save the fruit for breakfast, or toss into the salad)
    1 cup sugar
    1 Tablespoon English style or any dry mustard (more or less to your liking)
    1 cup rice vinegar or your favorite vinegar, Taragon is good but so is apple cider vinegar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup finely minced onion
    1 1/2 tsp salt

In a blender of food processor blend the sugar, salt , mustard and vinegar until mixture is smooth. with the motor running add the oil in a stream until the dressing is emulsified. Add the onion and the papaya seeds. Blend until the papaya seeds are the consistency of ground pepper.
    Makes about 3 cups.

I like to serve this dressing over a salad of:
    romaine lettuce
    thinly sliced red onion
    plenty of fresh avocado slices

the dressing stays fresh for about 3 weeks in the fridge but it makes so much, you should share it with a friend or neighbor. Delicious!
    You can always add slices of leftover rosemary chicken on the salad for your protein!
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-25-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Add missing ingredient

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;3124181;
    I love reading the recipe section, but has anyone suggested that there is a sub-thread, so the recipes could be listed by themselves for easy reference? It's so hard going through hundreds of pages to find them, it's not like I am organized enough to write page numbers down. Just a thought.
    I think that is a great idea! How do we do that?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When we reference previously posted recipes, I suggest we note them by post number, not page number. All post numbers will be the same, but page numbers can vary. I have my settings of 50 posts per page.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Can you guys tell me what model your Cuisinart Ice Cream makers are? And about how much they cost? Ours is an Aroma and cost about $65. I swear our old crappy one cost about half that amount and made perfect ice cream each time! Here are the two recipes from their booklet that I used. One was for coffee and the other was for vanilla ice cream. Both smelled and tasted great...EXCEPT, they weren't creamy like ice cream, but had the texture more of ice milk.

Coffee Ice Cream
    4-1/2 cups half and half
    2-1/4 cups sugar
    4-1/2 TBS instant coffee powder
    6 cups cream (!!!)

Combine all ingredients in mixing canister. Stir well until both sugar and instant coffee powder are dissolved. Freeze as instructed. Do not fill the mixing canister more than 2/3 full, as the mixture will expand during freezing.

Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups granulated sugar
    1-1/2 TBS cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    1-1/2 TBS vanilla
    7 cups milk
    5 eggs beaten
    2-3/4 cup heavy cream
    1-1/2 cups half and half

Mix the sugar, corn starch and salt in a large saucepan. Over medium heat, slowly stir in the milk, mixing constantly. Very slowly, add the beaten eggs and continue to stir. Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture thickens slightly. Slowly add vanilla, half and half, and heavy cream. Pour into a large glass bowl and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or until mixture has chilled. Remove from refrigerator. Pour mixture into the mixing canister.

I'm wondering if there's too much regular milk in the Vanilla Ice Cream recipe and it would taste creamier with more heavy whipping cream instead. OK, I can feel my arteries closing now...

Also, this makes too much ice cream for two people. I think I would halve the recipes. If any of you try these in your cuisinart, do let me know if they turn out well. If so, then it may be my ice cream maker that's faulty.

Luvsginger, I like your ice cream recipes--they seem simple and are smaller portions. I will try one of them soon and let you know if your recipe and tip (about removing it from the container) works. What does removing it from the container do? Is that a tip you figured out yourself or does the Cuisinart recipe book tell you to do that?
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.

LOIS!!!
    Your ice cream maker must be HUGE!!! 3 cups of liquid is all mine takes! I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at your recipes! Please, please don't take offense but 6 cups of cream and 4 1/2 cups of half and half? All this with only 3 tablespoons of coffee? And the second recipe has
    11 cups of liquid! Then it says not to fill more than 2/3 full, how big is this thing? I'm so sorry, I can't help imagining a scene sort of like when you put dishwash soap into the automatic dishwasher and the bubbles are pouring out all over the floor, but in this case, the ice cream is all over your countertop.
    Lois, please don't take offense, but something doesn't sound right here.
    Here is a link to the Cuisinart machine I have.

Cuisinart - ICE-20

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3124541;
    Lois, please don't take offense, but something doesn't sound right here.
    Don't worry, I don't get offended easily! The reason we got this is 'cause it is big and we wanted to use it for when all the nieces/nephews/friends (who all have kids!) are over. So we thought great, it'll make a ton of ice cream. It makes way more than those half gallons they sell at the store. But anyhow, it's too big to fit into my cabinets! The husband picked it out. You know how men want the biggest! (Yes, I did just sell him out!) I was thinking that our old one was much smaller--and maybe making smaller batches just works better for these things. Anyhow, I'm going to try your Cuisinart recipe. And if that goes well, I'll try halving one of the recipes that came with my stupid Aroma machine and I'll let you all know if that works. I have a feeling that might do the trick. But do you know why removing it from the canister and putting it into a different container makes it better?

Lois,
    I'm not really sure why it makes it better, I must have read it somewhere. I tried looking it up but couldn't find the reason, just that most instructions suggest transferring the ice cream to an airtight container. I usually do it because, I want to use the freezer bowl to make more ice cream and it's easier to scrape it out while it is still soft. I know what you mean about hubbies thinking bigger is better! Let me know how it turns out!

Our Ice Cream Maker is the same model as luvsginger's. It was a gift, but I know that it was purchased at Williams-Sonoma. Ours came with a "bonus" freezing bowl but the instructions did say to take the ice cream out of the bowl and store it in an airtight container. I use small plastic containers and put a couple of scoops into each one and that works out perfectly for the two of us.

I still can't find our recipe booklet and now I want some ice cream! Cuisinart's website has some pretty tasty sounding ideas.....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Aww, crap! Now you all have me craving homemade ice cream! Guess what I'll be pulling out of the cabinet this weekend . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Closed Thread