Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3123454;
    It's a savory jelly like stuff.

What it most resembles to me is the canned cranberry sauce you buy at thanksgiving. Not the one with whole berries in it, but the jelly like cranberry sauce.
    Tomato aspic has to be the worst. And I like tomatos. I think it was one of those things that everyone had summer tomatos so they figured out something else to do with them.

But here is a sight that explains aspic.

What is Aspic?
    I've never had aspic, and doubt it would be something that I would like, but everytime I hear the word I think about that Julia/Julie blog from several years ago.

MRD, did you ever venture into that site? It was a blog written by a young married woman named Julie who adored Julia Child. So much so that she decided to make EVERY single recipe in one of JC's cookbooks. Everyday she would talk about what she made, how she made it, what she thought of it, etc. It was a riot. Until they got to the aspic section. Her husband got sooooo sick of aspic.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3123803;
    Speaking of fruits mixed with salad, I went over to my cousin's a couple of weeks ago and he served a simple but delicious salad: baby spinach with cut up strawberries and peaches and cashew nuts. The dressing was simple EVOO and balsamic vinegar. It was addictive. I'll be making the same salad for friends I'm having over this Saturday, but will put in almond slivers instead of cashews.
    I love spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts. I just do a mix of EVOO and balsamic vineger too.

I have watched the chefs on tv peel mangos and they don't peel it, but slice off a huge chunk as close to the pit as possible. Then they score the fruit on this piece into squares. You are then able to take and sort of "invert" the skin so the fruit just pops off in chunks. It's hard to explain. Maybe there is a website that would show pictures.

I do have to say that the horseradish aspic my grandmother made went really well with roast beef. I actually liked that one, but you only ate such a small amount of it because the horseradish is so stong.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3124037;
    I love mango's and eat them fairly often. I leave the skin on when I cut them. I stand them up right (probably not the most steady) and cut down following the pit with my knife. I usually get two huge slices and then maybe two more small slices. Once I have those cut off, I cut the skin off and slice into chunks to eat. There is still some of the flesh on the pit and I usually bite those off with my mouth. I love mango's so I just kind of deal with the difficulty of them.

If you like to peel them first, if you put a shallow slice in the skin long ways, you can just peel the skin right off of it. It usually doesn't take any of the flesh with it. They are kind of stringy to just eat off the pit but that is an easy way to peel them.

If you can find a better way I would love to know it. Mango's are always a struggle but I love them too much to stop eating them.
    Thank you Yardgnome, I will try it. My son can eat 6 mangos at a sitting. He loves them and so do I!!! I love sucking the meat off the pit but I have to have plenty of dental floss nearby. My dad is from Hawaii and all of our relatives have mango trees all over their yard. I love Hawaiian mangos much better than the Mexican variety we get in CA but still enjoy them both.
    Last week I attended a dinner party where a beet and mango salad was served. Both the beets and the mango were cut like matchsticks. I asked the woman how she did it with the mango and she said she used a Japanese mandolin slicer.
    I just recently came across this thread and I am so glad that I did. I love sharing recipes. Thanks for all your recipes and secrets!
    Anyone make homemade ice cream out there? I have been experimenting this summer, it's been a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3124122;
    I love spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts. I just do a mix of EVOO and balsamic vineger too.

I have watched the chefs on tv peel mangos and they don't peel it, but slice off a huge chunk as close to the pit as possible. Then they score the fruit on this piece into squares. You are then able to take and sort of "invert" the skin so the fruit just pops off in chunks. It's hard to explain. Maybe there is a website that would show pictures.
    I know exactly what you're talking about, I'll try it! Thanks!

When I went to Catholic school, we didn't have cafeteria lunch at the elementary level. Everyone brought lunches from home. Then when the school underwent renovations, they put in a then state-of-the art cafeteria, but it was only used on pizza day (when they shipped in boxes upon boxes of 24-cut pizzas and doled out slices) or made megabatches of coffee at any nighttime functions!

In high school, we did have a cafeteria but what I mostly remember about that is the food was really pretty disgusting and avoided it 99.9% of the time.

I remember my mom making that carrot/raisin/mayo salad. I don't like raisins so I never ate it. But hers wasn't swimming in mayo. Sounds yuck! And I agree, mixing fruit with mayo just doesn't sound appetizing at all. Glad I missed Tyler doing that on TV.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I make homemade ice cream. I'm having problems getting it creamy though (like Haagen Dasz). Do you have a good recipe you can share? A few years ago, we had a junky old ice cream maker that made the best, creamiest ice cream. The parts broke so we had to replace it. This new one is fancier, but so far, it makes ice cream that tastes good enough--but it has the consistency of ice milk, rather than creamy ice cream, you know what I mean? I don't understand WHY 'cause I'm using a TON of whipping cream and half and half just like the recipe calls for (boy, it's caloric!). I've tried one recipe where you make it right then and there. And another that uses eggs that you make a few hours before (or the night before) you put it into the ice cream maker.

Any tips?

Also, I am totally jealous of those of you who have rosemary growing everywhere all year round. Our winters are BRUTAL so a lot of times I have to plant new rosemary in the summer. I got back from San Francisco and one place I visited had rosemary instead of shrubs. I wanted to shove it all into my suitcase and take it home with me. Can you imagine TSA's face opening that suitcase?!

As for mangoes, the only time I get good mangoes is on the West Coast or if I'm vacationing somewhere in the Caribbean or some place like that. I do love a good mango salad though...mmmm...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-10-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Lois, you know what's funny? My son complains that the ice cream I make is too "creamy". So, I started using half and half and then the consistency turns out more like ice milk. What ice cream maker do you have? I have a Cuisinart.
    Here is a basic recipe for a very simple vanilla ice cream, its from the Cuisinart booklet.
    1 cup whole milk, well chilled
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
    1-2 tsp vanilla
    Use a whisk to combine the milk and the sugar until it is completely dissolved. Stir in cream and vanila. Turn machine on and pour mixture into freezer bowl and mix for 25-30 until thickened. At this point you can add choc chips, marshmallows or whatever for the last 5 minutes.
    a very important step is to transfer ice cream to another container and freeze for a minimum of 2 hrs

Here is a Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
    the flavor was out of this world good, but I used half and half and was not happy with the consistency, if you use whole milk and heavy cream, I think it will be fine.

8 oz of your favorite bittersweet, dark or semi-sweet chocolate (I use Trader Joes)
    1 cup whole milk (will chilled)
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups heavy cream (will chilled)
    1 tsp vanilla
    Microwave or heat on stove the whole milk until it bubbles around the edges. Meanwhile, process chocolate and sugar in food processor until chocolate is finely chopped. Add milk and process until well blended. Transfer to a med bowl and let cool completely. Add heavy cream and vanilla and chill in the refrigerator for 30 min or longer.
    Turn on ice cream mixer and pour in mixture and mix for about 25-30 min. You can add dry ingredients for the last 5 minutes. Transfer to another container and let freeze for a min of 2 hours. Delicious!

I've also read that commercial brands have gum and preservatives that make their ice cream more thick. I would love to have some of your ice cream recipes. Have you ever made fruit ice cream? You have to be sure that the fruit macerates otherwise, you will bite into frozen fruit.

FORT Fanatic

I love reading the recipe section, but has anyone suggested that there is a sub-thread, so the recipes could be listed by themselves for easy reference? It's so hard going through hundreds of pages to find them, it's not like I am organized enough to write page numbers down. Just a thought.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3124180;
    a very important step is to transfer ice cream to another container and freeze for a minimum of 2 hrs
    That's funny about using half and half to make it LESS creamy! If I only had your problem!

I'm wondering if that step you advised there would help. We just leave it in the original container and scoop from there (although it's been more runny/soft serve than the firm ice cream I like) and then store any leftovers in the original container in the freezer. I'm wondering if it'll make a difference using your tip. Maybe I'll find out this weekend!

I'll find the recipes I've been using and post them for you later.

And I wouldn't doubt that there is all kinds of junk in store bought ice cream to make it creamy and delicious! I love ice cream! Ice cream with fresh strawberries...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-10-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3124180;
    What ice cream maker do you have? I have a Cuisinart..

We just got a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a wedding present last winter. I've never seen Mr. Doxie that excited over something that doesn't have a keyboard or a remote control.

I use it to make frozen yogurt. I've also made lemon sorbet in it. I'll post the recipes when I find out where Mr. Doxie has put the recipe booklet! The yogurt, in my opinion, tastes almost just like ice cream and it is creamy and smooth.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Closed Thread