Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

I was cleaning out my freezer and came across some enchilada sauce. When I make it, I tend to make more than I need, so into the freezer it goes. And I have never been able to find a canned sauce in the stores that is even slightly edible. So tonight will be enchiladas and spanish rice, I think. I think we will grill tomorrow.

I also came across some frozen raspberries that I forgot I had. I also have some cream cheese in the fridge. I'm thinking about making some type of dessert bar, maybe one that would include chocolate chips? Does anyone have any suggestions using these ingredients? Thanks in advance

Speaking of enchilada sauce, I've been meaning to post a recipe for chicken enchilada soup that I've been making all winter. I thought I'd posted it before, actually, but I don't see if it if I did.

I make it in the crockpot, although I adapted a stove recipe to do it, so you could easily do it on the stove.

Poach a pound of chicken breasts (or cook them however you like; I just boil them for 15 minutes) and shred them with a fork.
    Dice an onion and lay it in the bottom of the crock pot; top it with chicken.
    I also throw in a few minced cloves of garlic.
    Pour in: one can of enchilada sauce, a 16-oz box of chicken broth (I use the fat-free, low sodium one, and of course you could use cans instead), and I add two cups of vegetable broth (because that's what one bouillon cube makes; you can use all chicken broth or all veggie, but I've found chicken is more flavorful).
    I add about three or four teaspoons of dried cilantro, and/or some chopped fresh cilantro, plus probably a teaspoon of cumin, a little salt, a little garlic powder, some chili powder, and sometimes some red pepper flakes. I eyeball it, and I like it spicy.
    Turn the crockpot on high and let it cook about three hours. At this point I taste it to make sure it's spicy enough, and add more cilantro/cumin/whatever if it's not.
    Then, here's the key ingredient -- masa harina. It's a type of cornmeal, I believe, that can be found in a bag like sugar or flour in the Mexican food aisle. It's used to make corn tortillas. Take a cup of it and mix it separately in a bowl with two cups of water. Mixing it till it's smooth and then adding it to the soup is important so it doesn't get lumpy, and make your soup gritty. But seriously don't leave it out, it adds a great tortilla flavor.
    So mix that, and pour it into the crockpot, and stir. Leave it to cook another half hour at least. Taste it again to check flavor and seasonings.
    Then add a cup of cheese. The recipes I researched called for two, but I like to add more cheese to individual bowls so I just put one cup in the crockpot, and let it cook another 20 minutes or so.

I eat it with chips and green onions and cheese on top, and it provides me lunch for a week.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Masa harina. I watched an episode of Guy's Big Bite (food network) and he made tamales. Now I'm inspired. DD and DH have promised to help. We'll see how it goes.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3020579;
    Masa harina. I watched an episode of Guy's Big Bite (food network) and he made tamales. Now I'm inspired. DD and DH have promised to help. We'll see how it goes.
    I watched that too and it didn't seem overly hard to do. I was always under the impression that it was hard. Let us know how it works out, as I'd like to give it a try.

I LOVE tamales, but haven't found a restaurant here that comes close to the ones I could get in Florida.

I had a friend in Florida from Puerto Rico and they made a version of tamales but instead of the mesa corn flour used shaved and mashed plaintains as the dough and the meat filling in that, then wrapped in cornhusks and steamed. Oh, they were great!

Margaritaville, give us your enchilda sauce recipe please???
    I don't like the canned ones either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It is really so simple, it's embarrasing...

Enchilada Sauce

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup chili powder
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    salt to taste
    garlic powder to taste

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the chili powder and cook for 1 more minute. Here is where I vary from the recipe -- I have found the sauce to be way too dark if you cook it for very long here -- therefore, I only cook it here for just about 15 to 30 seconds. Gradually stir in the water, mixing well with a whisk to make sure you get out all the lumps, then stir in the tomato sauce and season with salt and garlic powder to taste.
    Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. (Note: If sauce thickens too much, just add a little water to thin it out a bit.)

And the recipe for the Spanish Rice that I serve with it comes from my Portuguese mother-in-law. My son could absolutely live off of this, if only his mother would let him.

Spanish Rice

1 cup rice
    1 Tbsp. oil
    1 tsp. garlic pwd
    1/2 to 3/4 tsp. cumin pwd
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 ounces tomato sauce
    2 cups hot water
    1 capful of apple cider vinegar

Saute the rice in oil for about a minute, then add garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Then add tomato sauce and water, bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for additional 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3020420;
    Speaking of enchilada sauce, I've been meaning to post a recipe for chicken enchilada soup that I've been making all winter. I thought I'd posted it before, actually, but I don't see if it if I did.

I make it in the crockpot, although I adapted a stove recipe to do it, so you could easily do it on the stove.
    Hey Lucy, I've been making this same soup all winter too! I do it on the stove because I just like to make soups on the stove, and it's pretty quick. Re: masa harina, I've never seen it around, so the first time I made this soup I just used a plain old roux and it was still delicious. Now I sometimes tear a few corn tortillas into strips and add them before the cheese; simmer for 10 minutes or so and it thickens up great. I eat it with chips and sour cream. It's an awesome soup.

Here's a site I found in one of my trade magazines. There is a search recipe function function by nationality, ingredient and menu type. You might be able to get some ideas there.

Welcome to the Frontpage - Monkeydish

MRD

That's it margaritaville???? Wow, that is simple. I never knew it could be so easy and I keep those ingredients on hand and so could make enchiladas just about any time. WOW! Thanks.

MRD

I made this yesterday and it was a hit, even with my husband who HATES black olives. I didn't tell him they were in there.

I tweaked the recipe from the original as I found the original to be sort of bland.
    We served it with crackers and italian bread.

Tuscan Dip

1 8 oz. package of softened cream cheese
    2 tbsp. sour cream
    2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    1 tbsp. lemon zest
    1/2 cup finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
    1/2 cup finely chopped black olives (I used regular, but I would think that the kalamata ones would be really good too)
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion

Blend cream cheese, sour cream, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest.
    Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours to let flavors blend.

NOTE: my sun dried tomatoes were really hard to chop finely, so I poured some boiling water over them and let them soak for about 3 min. Then drained well, patted with paper towel and they were much easier to chop up.
    I really kind of minced everything instead of finely chopping.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3021335;
    That's it margaritaville???? Wow, that is simple. I never knew it could be so easy and I keep those ingredients on hand and so could make enchiladas just about any time. WOW! Thanks.
    I told you it was so simple, it was embarrassing. Once I finally got brave enough to attempt it - I just couldn't believe how simple and basic some of these recipes were. I have tried several - and always come back to this one. My husband has a really good recipe from an older mexican woman he used to work with, but it is much more complicated and tastes pretty darn close.

Let me know how your family likes it --

Closed Thread