Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Re: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2463986;
    Prhoshay, since it's most likely made from Pollock, which is a white fish, I'd say yes, stay clear of it.
    Sometimes it is also labeled "surimi" (same thing, Japanese name), so beware of that, too.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

My sister called me this weekend and told me about watching a repeat of Ming Tsai's show where he made salmon in biscuit dough with Chinese mustard and honey. She couldn't remember all the particulars, and his web site doesn't have the recipe. Yesterday I experimented with a quick & dirty interpretation of a recipe I didn't actually see being done, and, although I've no idea how the actual one looked or tasted, I absolutely loved how it turned out.

I defrosted 2 Pillsbury biscuits in the refrigerator and a single salmon fillet (no skin on it). I cut the fillet in half (it's pretty small to start with) and rub on some ground ginger, and pan seared it and let it cool off a bit. I cut the biscuits in half length-wise and patted them out to make them a bit bigger. Then I mixed equal parts Chinese hot mustard and honey and then sprinkled in some more ginger to taste. I put that honey/mustard on the cut sides of the biscuits, put the salmon on one side, and topped it with the other biscuit half and pinched them together. Then 15 minutes at 375, and whammo, perfection. I think I'm going to make some more tonight and bring them to eat for lunch.

Does anyone know anything about grill pans? The stovetop kind? I don't have an outdoor area for a grill, and it's summer, and I'm dying to grill something. So if anyone has thoughts on which type is best, or how to use it, I'd appreciate it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Lucy: I've never had much use for stove top grill pans. All they do is mark the meat without any of he flavor associated with searing the meat. I find that if you have a gas oven, you're better off using the broiler. You can get a nice sear without the meat sitting in fluid.

In the distant past I used small Hibachis that can sit on the front step when I had no where else to grill. For the last several years I've used an electric grill. They work quite well and don't break any 'open flame' laws.

Another good indoor option is a small convection oven. Again, you can set the meat on a rack so the juices drip away from the meat, and the convection action helps to sear in the juices.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I have a frying pan with the raised lines to make it look like a grill. It, in my experience, is NOTHING like grilling. It's more like cooking on a frying pan with raised lines. My mini George Foreman is more grill-y. Maybe try a hibachi if you have a bit of outside area? The one here looks cool.

Thanks for the tips. That's disappointing, because they looked like a godsend. I do have a mini-Foreman grill, Phonegrrrl, but it can only fit one piece of chicken at a time, and is difficult to clean, and so I thought maybe a grill pan would be better.
    I may also look at an electric grill.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I've used a Meko tabletop electric grill for several years now. I love it. I see them for around $100. You can even get a rotisserie accessory to cook whole chickens, fish (in a basket) turkey breasts, etc.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I have an old Farberware tabletop electric grill and it is great for grilling indoors.

If it's the smoky flavor grilling gives that you want, here is some info on indoor options.
    Indoor Smokers-Equipment Ratings-Cook's Illustrated*1/2006
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

We have a cast iron "griddle" and one side has the grill lines and the other side is flat. We've never used the side with the grill lines because to me, its just going to be harder to clean.

Those electric indoor grills are nice. My mom had one and it worked really well.

Phonegrrl, that salmon sounds delicious. I think I might give it a go.

I make mini pizzas with those biscuits. I just use my rolling pin to roll them out as flat as possible, then top with sauce, cheese and toppings and cook them (I can't remember on what and for how long, but it doesn't take long)
    They make great mini pizzas and when my daughter was younger, she and her friends loved to help me make them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Closed Thread