Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

M_shelll and MyRosie, I made your Hashbrown casserole and pumpkin crunch cake, respectively and they were both delicious. I used low fat sour cream and cream of chicken in the hasbrowns and used half the butter (for the top) in the cake and they still turned out great (and rich). Thanks you!

Thanks for the great recipes Roses and MRD! I am still unsure what to make. I think I am sulking because I want to make pumpkin cake and they don't want it. I guess I need to get over it and move on. I may try those brownies Roses. They sound delicious and look very easy.

I had the pumpkin crunch cake, and I think it would be good with chocolate chips thrown on top. It's really not too "pumpkin-y" tasting. What do you think MRD?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Premium Member
    Since I am making chili today, my son asked me to make these crackers to go with it. These are yummy in chili but make a great snack, too.

Oyster Crackers

2 pkg Premium brand* soup/oyster crackers
    1 cup your favorite vegetable oil
    1 pkg dry Ranch dressing mix
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 teaspoons lemon pepper
    2 teaspoons dill**

Spread crackers on a cookie sheet. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over crackers. Toss to coat evenly. Place in warm oven (200 F) for 20 minutes. Cool and store in airtight container.

*Any brand of crackers will work, I like the Premium brand because they are a little bigger and look nicer.

**I prefer less of the dill flavor, so I use 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and cut the dill to 1 tsp. You still get a good dill flavor with this change.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    I had the pumpkin crunch cake, and I think it would be good with chocolate chips thrown on top. It's really not too "pumpkin-y" tasting. What do you think MRD?
    Maybe I will try that. Thanks for the idea!

My mother and grandmother always made chocolate eclair similar to Myrosiedog's recipe, and it's always a favorite in our family. The main difference is that we make the chocolate topping on the stove, instead of buying it already pre-made. I don't know what your chocolate frosting does, MRD, but my mother's turns into a hardened chocolate glaze. Anyway, love the eclair.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    My mother and grandmother always made chocolate eclair similar to Myrosiedog's recipe, and it's always a favorite in our family. The main difference is that we make the chocolate topping on the stove, instead of buying it already pre-made. I don't know what your chocolate frosting does, MRD, but my mother's turns into a hardened chocolate glaze. Anyway, love the eclair.

Actually this one does too. I guess heating up the frosting does something to it and then refrigerating and it becomes a harder glaze. I like the tub of frosting thing as this is the easiest recipe I have in my collection and one that always gets rave reviews. Glad to hear your family likes it too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yardgnome, I'm probably too late but here's a chocolatey favorite at my house.

Cookie Bars (That's what we call them. I have no idea where I got this recipe.)

1/2 cup or 1 stick butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups (12 oz pkg) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in 9 x 13 pan in oven and remove. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter. Stir well and press into bottom of pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts. Press down firmly.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completey and cut into bars.

I found this recipe in my Junior League at Home cookbook. Good thing it takes two cans because I pretty much ate one by myself!
    I'll type the recipe as in the book, then, because if I'm going to rave about a dish it's only fair to tell how I changed the recipe, I'll add comments to tell what I did differently.

Caesar Green Beans

2 (15 oz.) cans whole green beans - drained
    1 tablespoon chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced or put through a press
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the beans, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oil or bacon fat, butter and vinegar in a large bowl and mix well.
    Add the bread crumbs and cheese, toss to mix. Spread into a buttered
    2-quart casserole. Bake 40 minutes.

O.K. - I used the smallest holes on my box grater and grated 1/2 of a small onion right into the bowl. I omitted the salt and the melted butter and used olive oil for the vegetable oil. Please, always use fresh ground pepper! It didn't specify, so I chose balsamic vinegar. Since I don't care for the taste of raw garlic and I like the bread crumbs in recipes like this to be nice and toasty, I increased the heat to 375 and the cooking time to 45 minutes.

Spank my butt and call me Nancy, it was good!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    I found this recipe in my Junior League at Home cookbook. Good thing it takes two cans because I pretty much ate one by myself!
    I'll type the recipe as in the book, then, because if I'm going to rave about a dish it's only fair to tell how I changed the recipe, I'll add comments to tell what I did differently.

Caesar Green Beans

2 (15 oz.) cans whole green beans - drained
    1 tablespoon chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced or put through a press
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the beans, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oil or bacon fat, butter and vinegar in a large bowl and mix well.
    Add the bread crumbs and cheese, toss to mix. Spread into a buttered
    2-quart casserole. Bake 40 minutes.

O.K. - I used the smallest holes on my box grater and grated 1/2 of a small onion right into the bowl. I omitted the salt and the melted butter and used olive oil for the vegetable oil. Please, always use fresh ground pepper! It didn't specify, so I chose balsamic vinegar. Since I don't care for the taste of raw garlic and I like the bread crumbs in recipes like this to be nice and toasty, I increased the heat to 375 and the cooking time to 45 minutes.

Spank my butt and call me Nancy, it was good!

OK Nancy, ( )

This one sounds GOOOOOOODDDD!!!!! I am so tired of green bean casserole. You know the one with mushroom soup and the FRench's onions.
    I can't wait to make this and if its as good as you say, it will be on Thanksgiving menu instead of that green bean casserole that I like, but am tired of making.

I'll have to let you know if I have to spank my butt and be called Nancy too!

Jluvs, I love those. Got the recipe from a friend when she brought them to a Christmas cookie swap. She called them 7 layer bars. I'll have to go back and count, but do they have 7 layers?
    They are soooooooo good and SOOOOO easy.
    (I think I got more of those than any other cookie at the swap that year!)

I just went back and looked at your recipe and she also added peanut butter chips to the bars. Maybe that's why they had 7 layers???
    Last edited by MRD; 10-10-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Closed Thread