Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD
    I bought two pumpkins and some fall mums for the front porch. Brandy, these pumpkin recipes make me want to go out and grab my decorations and start cooking! Yum!

I never knew you could do so much with pumpkins.

Thanks for posting these.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey
    From my ďDONíT TRY COOKING THIS AT HOMEĒ files:

Donít ever, ever try to bake a cake mix in a microwave.

At 11:00 p.m. last night I was jonesiní really bad for something sweet last night, and I didnít have anything sweet in the house except for ingredients to make a coffee cake (described way up thread).

I decided to whipped up a batter so I could bake a cake for my neighbors today, and then I got the bright idea that Iíd bake a little bit of it in my microwave so I could get rid of my craving for something sweet.

I plopped a big dollop of batter on a Corelle plate.

I microwaved it for 5 minutes and went in my bedroom to rest.

Four minutes later all of my smoke alarms went off, my house was filled with the most disgusting odor Iíve ever smelled (and remember, Iíve cleaned animal cages for a living but even those didnít smell as bad as the burnt cake batter), and the plate melted into the batter to form one solid, flat mass.

I opened the back window and flung that stinky cake/plate disk like a Frisbee, as far away as it would fly, and then had to sleep with the windows (and one eyelid) open for the rest of the night.

Yikes, Pom. I'm glad you and your house are okay. Have you attempted to clean the microwave yet?

All these pumpkin recipes, reminded me of my roasted pumpkin seed recipe. There are lots of variations on this that don't require boiling, but this is what we like.

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

2 cups of fairly clean pumpkin seeds
    2 tablespoons (or less) of salt
    1 quart water
    1 tablespoon of butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Boil pumpkin seeds and salt in water for 10 minutes.

3. Drain the seeds and toss them with butter.

4. Spread the buttered seeds in a roasting pan.

5. Roast the seeds for 25-30 minutes, stirring and tossing frequently.

6. Cool on pan. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

If you want to make Brandy's chocolate cake but don't have buttermilk, here is how you can substitute:
    For each cup of buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon vinegar (I use cider vinegar for this) into a measuring cup and add milk to measure 1 cup; let rest for a minute or two.
    I've used skim milk and it turns out fine.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

anemone: Thanks for the dump cake recipes. I'll try it!

I do like sweet potatoes so that was a good suggestion to use instead of pumpkin. Thanks guys!
    ----------------------

On the tv last night they did a story about a chef who has created a New Thanksgiving Rage for people in Vancouver. He takes a turkey, cut it in half (debones most of it), flattens it down and then puts a layer of dressing on top. Then he takes a duck, cuts it in half, flattens it and layers it with dressing. Next is a chicken, which he does the same. Cuts it in half, flattens it, and layers it with dressing.

Then, for the piece de resistance, he put the chicken on top of the duck, and the duck on top of the turkey, and then wraps the turkey together with both inside. So when you cut it, you get turkey, dressing, duck, dressing, dhicken, and dressing in your slice. Made to order only. I have no idea what it costs. I'll try to find a link today.

Can you just IMAGINE?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    From my ďDONíT TRY COOKING THIS AT HOMEĒ files:

I plopped a big dollop of batter on a Corelle plate.

...and the plate melted into the batter to form one solid, flat mass.

I opened the back window and flung that stinky cake/plate disk like a Frisbee, as far away as it would fly, and then had to sleep with the windows (and one eyelid) open for the rest of the night.
    Pommie: Let me get this staight...the Corelle plate melted, along with the cake batter???!!! I thought that Corelle was so tough that you could use it as the tiles on Space Craft!

If I had been you, I would have been equal parts frustrated/scared/angry/scared, again and then finally able to laugh about it. Thank Goodness that you were in the house when this happened and not in the garden or outside of your home.

I'm sure that in the year 2424, some archeologist will find your Flying Frisbee and there will be a paper written about it!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Thanks for posting these.
    You're welcome. I've had a craving for autumn vegetable recipes myself. If anyone has any good, simple ways to cook squash I'd love those recipes!

THANKS, MamaC and myrosiedog - for the chili recipes. Your ideas both sound scrumptious! There's so many ways to make chili, and even if you make it the same way each time, it seems to turn out differently every time.
    My sister and I both have noticed this.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    On the tv last night they did a story about a chef who has created a New Thanksgiving Rage for people in Vancouver. He takes a turkey, cut it in half (debones most of it), flattens it down and then puts a layer of dressing on top. Then he takes a duck, cuts it in half, flattens it and layers it with dressing. Next is a chicken, which he does the same. Cuts it in half, flattens it, and layers it with dressing.

Then, for the piece de resistance, he put the chicken on top of the duck, and the duck on top of the turkey, and then wraps the turkey together with both inside. So when you cut it, you get turkey, dressing, duck, dressing, dhicken, and dressing in your slice. Made to order only. I have no idea what it costs. I'll try to find a link today.

Can you just IMAGINE?
    I saw that on "Unwrapped" once. I think it's called Turducken? Speaking only for myself mind you, I would never eat any food with the word Turd in it.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

..I saw that on "Unwrapped" once. I think it's called Turducken? Speaking only for myself mind you, I would never eat any food with the word Turd in it.
    That was the name I'm sure!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Closed Thread