Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

[FA edit]

myrosiedog: I don't know if it's sacrilege to recommend a NORTH Carolina recipe to a SOUTH Carolina gal, but how about Collard Greens and Turnip Greens??? We had that last night for dinner, now that spinach is tainted, and used it inside of Chicken Roll-Ups with pistachio nuts.

HERE is a recipe that is true NC low country, but it sounds like it might be tasty with your Bubba Gump Shrimp and Grits. (P.S.---my typo originally said "Shrimp and Gits", which is Brit slang for a loser!) Check out the reviews of the recipe; sounds good!

[FA edit]

Neckbones and Collard Greens or Turnip Greens Recipe #129229

http://www.recipezaar.com/129229

My Grandmother was a most excellent cook. This was one of her country favorites. She left a note with this recipe saying that it is good with cornbread or hushpuppies and she is right!
    by Forgiven
    6-8 servings
    1¼ hours 15 min prep
    2 lbs pork necks
    2 lbs collard greens or turnip greens
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon salt
    bacon grease (or fatback grease)

Wash neckbones in warm water and 1/2 Tablespoon salt.
    Put neckbones in a large pot filled halfway with hot water and 1 tablespoon salt.
    Boil 30 minutes.
    While neckbones are cooking, cut the long stalks off the greens and remove any yellow leaves.
    Wash the greens in lots of cold water twice.
    When the neckbones have cooked 30 minutes, add all the greens, pour some bacon drippings or fatback grease over them for extra seasoning.
    Cover and turn burner down on low to simmer.
    Cook until greens are tender. (approximately 1 hour).
    Put in collander to drain. Tip*** Take a small saucer and push on the greens to get most of the water content out. You may have to pick some bones out becuase the neckbones some times fall apart. Cooking them in some type of bag (cheesecloth?) might help but I don't do that.
    You can cut them up how you like. I use a Hand Chopper. I like mine chopped fine but you can chop to your liken.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 10-09-2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote and personal talk unrelated to thread topic
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    myrosiedog: I don't know if it's sacrilege to recommend a NORTH Carolina recipe to a SOUTH Carolina gal, but how about Collard Greens and Turnip Greens??? We had that last night for dinner, now that spinach is tainted, and used it inside of Chicken Roll-Ups with pistachio nuts.

HERE is a recipe that is true NC low country, but it sounds like it might be tasty with your Bubba Gump Shrimp and Grits. (P.S.---my typo originally said "Shrimp and Gits", which is Brit slang for a loser!) Check out the reviews of the recipe; sounds good!

[FA edit]

Neckbones and Collard Greens or Turnip Greens Recipe #129229

http://www.recipezaar.com/129229

My Grandmother was a most excellent cook. This was one of her country favorites. She left a note with this recipe saying that it is good with cornbread or hushpuppies and she is right!
    by Forgiven
    6-8 servings
    1¼ hours 15 min prep
    2 lbs pork necks
    2 lbs collard greens or turnip greens
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon salt
    bacon grease (or fatback grease)

Wash neckbones in warm water and 1/2 Tablespoon salt.
    Put neckbones in a large pot filled halfway with hot water and 1 tablespoon salt.
    Boil 30 minutes.
    While neckbones are cooking, cut the long stalks off the greens and remove any yellow leaves.
    Wash the greens in lots of cold water twice.
    When the neckbones have cooked 30 minutes, add all the greens, pour some bacon drippings or fatback grease over them for extra seasoning.
    Cover and turn burner down on low to simmer.
    Cook until greens are tender. (approximately 1 hour).
    Put in collander to drain. Tip*** Take a small saucer and push on the greens to get most of the water content out. You may have to pick some bones out becuase the neckbones some times fall apart. Cooking them in some type of bag (cheesecloth?) might help but I don't do that.
    You can cut them up how you like. I use a Hand Chopper. I like mine chopped fine but you can chop to your liken.

I LOVE Collards and Turnips. Made some not too long ago. NOt sure if my friends will eat them. Not everyone does. And my husband will NOT eat them at all.

But it would be easy to fix.

I was also thinking about making white acre peas. I LOVE those.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 10-09-2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: removed off topic comments from quote
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I spotted an issue of Vegetarian Times magazine this morning - I had yet to pick it up and read it. So, the following recipes are from its pages. October 2006.

This first one claims to be very easy and quick to make, and the ingredients sounded like ones a lot of people might have. Maybe good for last-minute guests or for parties?

Dense Delicious Chocolate Cake

Serves 10 - 30 minutes or less to prep

Cake ingredients:

1 Cup all purpose flour, 1 Cup sugar, ½ tsp. Baking soda, ¼ Cup low-fat
    buttermilk, 1 large egg, 2 tsp. Vanilla extract, ½ Cup brewed espresso or
    strong coffee, ½ Cup cocoa powder, ½ Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into
    small pieces.

Fudge glaze ingredients:

2 T low-fat buttermilk, 2 T cocoa powder, 2 T unsalted butter, ½ Cup
    confectioners’ sugar, 1 tsp. Vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat 9 inch round springform pan with cooking spray. Combine: flour, sugar, and baking soda into a bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in separate bowl.
    2. Combine espresso and cocoa in large saucepan. Add butter, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in dry ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture, and whisk until smooth.
    3. Pour batter into prepared springform pan, and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until top looks dry but toothpick inserted in center comes out moist.
    4. Meanwhile, make Fudge Glaze. Combine buttermilk, cocoa powder and butter in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar and vanilla.
    5. Pierce holes all over cake with skewer or fork. Spread Fudge Glaze over cake with spatula. Let stand 5 minutes before unmolding, and serve.

Per serving: 276 calories, 3 grams protein, 12.5 grams total fat (7.5 grams saturated fat), 39 grams carbohydrates, 52 milligrams cholesterol, 82 milligrams sodium, 1 gram fiber, 27 grams sugars.

Like I said in my last post - these recipes are all from Oct. 2006 Vegetarian Times magazine. Remember how I'd asked for healthy recipes? Well duh - I'd had this issue all along.

I love sweet potatoes, so before I get started with the Pumpkin recipes, I'll post this one.

Sweet Potato Fritters with Peach Salsa

Peach Salsa ingredients:

2 fresh peaches peeled and diced (about 1 Cup), 4 green onions finely chopped, 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced, 2 T chopped cilantro, 1 T fresh lime juice, 1/2 tsp. lime zest.

Lime Sauce ingredients:

1 Cup lowfat sour cream, 2 T lime juice, 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest, 1 tsp. chipotle hot sauce

Sweet Potato Fritters ingredients:

One 40 oz. can sweet potatoes drained, 1 medium size onion diced (about 1 1/4 Cups), 1/2 medium green bell pepper chopped (about 3/4 Cup), 1/2 Cup bread crumbs, 1 large egg lightly beaten, 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, 4 T peanut oil.

1. To make Peace Salsa: Combine all ingredients in bowl.
    2. To make Lime Sauce: Combine all ingredients in 2nd bowl.
    3. To make Fritters: Mash together the sweet potatoes, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, thyme and pepper, into a 3rd bowl. Shape into 3-inch patties.
    4. Heat 2 T oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry patties for 4 minutes on each side, or until brown, using more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Peach Salsa and Lime Sauce.

Per serving: 347 calories, 8 grams protein, 13.5 grams total fat (5 grams saturated fat), 50 grams carbohydrates, 56 milligrams cholesterol, 308 milligrams sodium, 4 grams fiber, 16 grams sugars.

Here come the pumpkin recipes! Pumpkin's really good for you, and I hate to think of the pulp going to waste. These will also work with canned pumpkin puree.

If there are strange capitalisations etc., that's Word - and I was too tired to fix them I'm gonna type each recipe in its own box, since that might make it easier for you to copy/paste, if someone just wants one recipe to print later. First (since some recipes call for puree):

______________________________ __

To make Fresh Pumpkin Puree:

Cut the pumpkin in half. Use whatever works: A long chef’s knife (carefully!), even a quick drop on the sidewalk. (Just rinse the pieces off once you’ve broken through!) Scrape out seeds with an ice cream scoop.

To cook cubes: Cut the pumpkin halves into wedges. Remove pumpkin skin with vegetable peeler, then slice into chunks. Boil, steam, or microwave until soft (5 to 20 minutes). Mash or puree, and use in place of canned pumpkin.

To roast halves: Preheat oven to 375 F. Places halves cut side down on foil-lined baking sheet. Tent with foil and cook for 1 hour, or until very tender. Scoop out pumpkin, mash, and then use in place of canned pumpkin.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-09-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Moroccan Pumpkin & Lentils

Serves 8 - Vegan

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil, 1 large onion diced (about 1 ½ Cups), 1 jalapeno chile seeded and sliced, 1 Cup green lentils rinsed, 1 T paprika, ¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. Cumin, One 14.5 oz. Can diced tomatoes or 4 tomatoes chopped, One 2 lb. Pumpkin peeled seeded and cubed, ½ Cup tomato puree, ¼ Cup chopped cilantro for garnish.

1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno, and sauté 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent and golden. Add tomatoes, lentils and spices, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in pumpkin cubes, tomato puree and 2 ½ Cups water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    2. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook 40 minutes, or until pumpkin and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed. Season again with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro, and serve hot.

Per serving: 161 calories, 9 grams protein, 4 grams total fat (.5 grams saturated fat), 25 grams carbohydrates, zero milligrams cholesterol, 287 milligrams sodium, 9 grams fiber, 7 grams sugars.

Pumpkin Gratin

Serves 6

May substitute 1 T dried rubbed sage if you don’t have fresh sage.

Ingredients:

One 2 ½ lb. Pumpkin peeled seeded and cubed, 8 cloves garlic peeled and minced (about 2 ½ Tablespoons), 1/3 Cup chopped parsley, 2 T chopped fresh sage, ¼ Cup olive oil, ½ Cup grated Parmesan cheese, ¼ Cup bread crumbs.

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 9 by 13 baking dish or gratin dish with non-stick spray.
    2. Toss pumpkin cubes in a bowl, with garlic, parsley, sage, and salt and black pepper to taste. Transfer to baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.
    3. Bake 1 hour, or until pumpkin begins to soften and brown around the edges, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and toss with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake 15 minutes more, or until top is golden brown.

Per serving: 170 calories, 5 grams protein, 11 grams total fat (2.5 grams saturated fat), 14 grams carbohydrates, 5 milligrams cholesterol, 167 milligrams sodium, 1 gram fiber, 6 grams sugars.

Savory Pumpkin Quiche

Serves 6 – Makes one 8 inch pie

Ingredients:

½ Cup low-fat Gruyere cheese, 1 frozen 9 inch prepared pie crust, 1 Cup lowfat milk, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, ¼ tsp. Salt, ¼ tsp. Ground black pepper, ¼ tsp. Ground nutmeg, 1 Cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Sprinkle cheese over bottom of pie crust.
    2. In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blend in pumpkin. Pour mixture over cheese in the pie crust.
    3. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes more – or until pie filling has set and tip of knife inserted into center of pie comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Per serving: 206 calories, 9 grams protein, 11 grams total fat (3 grams saturated fat), 16 grams carbohydrates, 146 milligrams cholesterol, 321 milligrams sodium, 1 gram fiber, 3 grams sugars

Pumpkin and Walnut Spoon Sweet

Makes a compote that is rich but not overly sweet. For dessert, garnish a bowl of this with some vanilla yogurt; or use this in place of jam at breakfast time.

Serves 6 – Vegan

Ingredients:

½ Cup chopped walnuts, One 2 lb. Pumpkin peeled and cubed, ¾ Cups sugar, zest from one lemon cut into long strips, 2 cinammon sticks, 6 whole cloves.

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread nuts onto baking sheet, and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until toasted and fragrant. Cool.
    2. Combine remaining ingredients plus 2 Cups water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for 1 hour, or until pumpkin is tender. Raise heat to medium high, and cook 10 minutes more, or until almost all liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and cool. Discard lemon zest, cinammon and cloves, and serve sprinkled with toasted nuts.

Per serving: 184 calories, 4 grams protein, 6 grams total fat (.5 grams saturated fat), 32 grams carbohydrates, zero milligrams cholesterol, 1 milligram sodium, 1 gram fiber, 28 grams sugars.

Morning Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Serves 12

Cake ingredients:

2 Cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour, 1 ½ Cups rolled oats, 1 T baking powder, 1 T ground cinnamon, 1 ½ tsp. Ground ginger, ½ tsp. Ground nutmeg, ½ tsp. Salt, ½ Cup (1 stick) softened butter or margarine, 1 ½ Cups sugar, 3 large eggs lightly beaten, 1 ¾ Cups fresh or canned pumpkin puree.

Streusel Topping ingredients:

½ Cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour, ½ Cup rolled oats, ¼ Cup sugar, ¼ Cup packed light brown sugar, 4 T melted butter.

1. To make Coffee Cake: Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 10 inch square pan with non-stick spray.
    2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Beat butter and sugar in separate bowl until fluffy. Mix eggs and pumpkin into butter mixture. Spread in pan.
    3. To make Streusel Topping: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until crumbly. Spread onto coffee cake. Bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes, then slice into squares and serve.

Per serving: 404 calories, 7 grams protein, 15 grams total fat (8 grams saturated fat), 64 grams carbohydrates, 86 milligrams cholesterol, 306 milligrams sodium, 5 grams fiber, 33 grams sugars.

Closed Thread