Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Thanks JLuvs, Rosie, queenb. Per JLuvs post, I will just cook them like normal in the TO. If they don't turn out, I will head over to my friends house as was suggested. Thanks for all of your help!

lambikins, cricketeen, canuckinchile: Thanks for the tips about the popovers. The tin was not pre-heated and my oven sometimes heats lower than normal (it's really old). I have made them before and they turned out but this time it didn't. So I'm off to the store to get more eggs and I'll try again. I think there just wasn't enough air in the batter. I used my food processor and forgot to change it to beaters, just used the mixer part. I think that could have been the problem.

Everyone: Such yummy recipes! I love chocolate anything! And it's kinda fun to know there's something weird in a recipe that goes undetected!

For Toaster Oven Users: The Sept issue of Canadian Living magazine has four pages of wonderful recipes specifically for toaster ovens. Let me know if you want one of these and I'll post it or find a direct link for you. I had absolutely no idea you could this much with a toaster oven!
    -Roasted Lemon Rosemary Cornish Hens
    -Mocha Snacking Cake
    -Morning Glory Muffins
    -Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Load
    -Easy-as-Pie Frittata
    -Mediterranean Pizzas
    -Lemon Dill Trout
    -Baguette Tuna Melts
    Last edited by misskitty; 10-06-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    lambikins, cricketeen, canuckinchile: Thanks for the tips about the popovers. The tin was not pre-heated and my oven sometimes heats lower than normal (it's really old). I have made them before and they turned out but this time it didn't. So I'm off to the store to get more eggs and I'll try again. I think there just wasn't enough air in the batter. I used my food processor and forgot to change it to beaters, just used the mixer part. I think that could have been the problem.

Everyone: Such yummy recipes! I love chocolate anything! And it's kinda fun to know there's something weird in a recipe that goes undetected!

For Toaster Oven Users: The Sept issue of Canadian Living magazine has four pages of wonderful recipes specifically for toaster ovens. Let me know if you want one of these and I'll post it or find a direct link for you. I had absolutely no idea you could this much with a toaster oven!
    -Roasted Lemon Rosemary Cornish Hens
    -Mocha Snacking Cake
    -Morning Glory Muffins
    -Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Load
    -Easy-as-Pie Frittata
    -Mediterranean Pizzas
    -Lemon Dill Trout
    -Baguette Tuna Melts
    Send your Baba's recipe. I LOVE popovers and yorkshire pudding, but have never made it. Do you have to use metal pans? I have stoneware muffin tins. Would those work?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You're welcome, misskitty, for the little bit of help that I could provide concerning the popover problem. Like I said, I never fancied making any of those dishes for some odd reason, but I sure as heck liked eating them. The Wisconsin State Fair is FAMOUS for their Cream Puffs and the line at times goes out of the Cream Puff building; they even see special containers to safely take home a dozen cream puffs.

I wouldn't mind if you posted the Cornish Hen recipe; I love Rock Cornish Hens and just forget about making them. I'm guessing that you can just use a normal oven to make these dishes and don't need a toaster oven.

canuckinchile: HERE'S the remaining of the recipes that I promised you for your relatives arrival. Hope you find something there that they will enjoy!

Let's start with dessert, first!

Very simple. Very healthy. Very refreshing. I serve it with pancakes or other doughy things.
    MIXED FRUIT SALAD
    1 Cup of Vanilla Yogurt
    1 Tablespoon of Mayonnaise
    1 Grated Orange Peel
    1 Juice from Orange
    6 Cups of Mixed, Cut-up fruit: I use strawberries, bananas, kiwis, different colors and sized of grapes, blueberries, pineapple and raspberries. I don't like melon but if you do, you can add it.
    1) Mix yogurt, mayonnaise, orange peel and orange juice in a large bowl.
    2) Gently stir in fruit. Store, covered in refrigerator for a couple of hours to cool and collect the fruit juices.
    Yields: 12 1/2 cup servings
    As promised, canuckinchile, here is that to die for Kiwi-Orange cheesecake. I like it because the texture is NOT as dense as most cheesecakes.
    KIWI-ORANGE CHEESECAKE
    Crust:
    8 1/2 ounce package of chocolate cookie wafers, crushed (1 3/4 cups)
    1/4 to 1/2 stick of melted butter (sometimes, the cookies just need more butter to hold together.)
    Filling:
    3 8-ounce packages of Softened cream cheese
    1 Cup of Sugar
    4 Eggs
    1 Cup of Dairy Sour Cream
    2 teaspoons of Grated Orange Peel
    Topping:
    1 Orange, peeled, white removed and sliced into 1/4" slices
    1 Kiwifruit, peeled, sliced into 1/4" slices
    2 Tablespoons of Orange Marmalade
    2 Tablespoons of Orange-flavoured liquor OR orange juice
    Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a medium bowl, combine the crust ingredients. Press crumbs over the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the sides of a 10" springform pan. Refrigerate.
    In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar; beat well. Add eggs, one at a time; beating well with each addition. Add sour cream and orange peel; beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
    Pour into prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set. Cool in pan for 5 minutes; remove sides of pan. Cool completely! Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
    When serving, arrange orange and kiwi slices around the edge of the cheesecake, overlapping. In small saucepan, melt marmalade over low heat; stir in 2 tablespoons of liquor or juice. Gently brush liquid over fruit and top of cheesecake. Store in refrigerator at least 1 hour to set up top.
    Serves 16.
    BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
    Great served with the yogurt fruit above for a light brekkie!
    1/2 Cup of Butter
    1/2 Cup of Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
    1 1/2 Cup (or 3 large) ripe bananas, mashed up
    1/4 Cup of Milk
    1 teaspoon of Vanilla
    2 Large Eggs
    2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
    1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
    1/4 teaspoon of Salt
    1/2 Cup of Mini Chocolate Chips
    1/2 Cup of Nuts (I use pecans as I HATE walnuts)
    Heat oven to 375 degrees.
    Grease bottoms only of 18 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
    In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
    Add bananas, milk, vanilla and eggs; blend well.
    Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir ONLY until dry ingredients are moist. TOO much stirring creates tough muffins!
    Stir in chips and nuts.
    Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 rds full. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes until removing from pan. Serve warm.
    Yields 18 muffins
    Now, for the savory!
    THAI CHICKEN SALAD CONES
    Thai Peanut Butter Dressing:
    1 Tablespoon of Packed Brown Sugar
    2 Tablespoons of Creamy Peanut Butter
    2 Tablespoons of Rice Wine or Cider Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon of Fish Sauce
    1/8 teaspoon of Ground Red Pepper (cayenne)
    Mix all ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Set aside.
    Chicken Salad:
    4-Spinach-flavoured Flour tortillas (8-10" in diameter)
    2 Cans of Chunk Light Chicken (10 ounces each), drained
    1 1/2 Cups of Coleslaw Salad Mix (from 16 ounce bag)
    1/2 Cup of Seeded and chopped Cucumber
    1/2 Cup of Cilantro, chopped
    1/2 Cup of Carrot Matchsticks
    1/4 Cup of Chopped, Dry-Roasted Peanuts
    1) Make Thai Peanut Butter Dressing. Cut each tortilla in half.
    2) Place chicken, coleslaw mix, cucumber, cilantro, carrots and peanut bits in medium bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat.
    3) Form tortilla into cone shapes. Spoon mixture into each cone.
    Serves 4
    TORTELLINI, BROCCOLI, AND BACON SALAD
    2 bags of Frozen Cheese-filled Tortellini (19 ounces each)
    4 Cups of Broccoli florets
    2 Cups of Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
    2 Tablespoons of Chopped Fresh Chives
    1 Cup of Coleslaw Dressing
    1 Pound of Bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
    1/4 Cup of Sunflower nuts
    1) Cook and drain tortellini as directed on package. Rinse with cold water; drain.
    2) Mix tortellini, broccoli, tomatoes, chives and dressing in a large 4 quart bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavours.
    3) Just before serving, stir in bacon. Sprinkle with nuts.
    Serves 9
    And lastly, a Salmon Salad. I can never eat enough salmon!
    PASTA SHELL SALMON SALAD
    1 Cup of Shell Macaroni
    3/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon of Grated Lemon Peel
    1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice
    1 Tablespoon of Prepared Horseradish
    1 Tablespoon of Prepared Dijon Mustard
    1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder (sometimes I use fresh garlic, crushed)
    1 Medium Granny Smith Apple, unpeeled and diced (1 Cup_
    1 Cup of Thinly diced Celery
    1/4 Cup of Thinly sliced Green Onions
    OPTIONAL: 2 ounces of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Sally doesn't like cheese like most Americans do, so I delete it for her)
    15 ounce can of salmon, drained, flaked
    1 19-ounce bag of mixed Salad Greens
    Garnishes: Pineapple chunks, Avocado slices or Seedless grapes, green or red
    Cook macaroni to desired doneness. Drain; rinse with cold water.
    In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon peel, lemon juice, horseradish, mustard, and garlic. Mix well.
    Add macaroni, apple, celery, green onions, salmon and optional cheese.; toss lightly.
    Refrigerate to blend flavours. To serve, spoon salmon mixture over salad greens and garnish with fruit or avocado.
    Serves 4-6
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Wow! Everyone of those recipes just went straight to the printer!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Wow! Everyone of those recipes just went straight to the printer!
    From printer to table to tummy...that's the natural path. So glad that they can be enjoyed by someone else, too. It's nice to give those cookbooks a good airing out.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Here is the crock pot reciepe for Split Pea Soup that I was talking about the other day. I got it from a crockpot site online, but I am honestly not sure which one.
    JLuvs: THIS is in the crockpot, as I type, and the entire apartment smells so wonderful! I couldn't find your onion/mushroom mix at Jewel so I bought some dried mushrooms to add to the onion mix. Also, got some skinless kielbasa (sp.) and used that instead of franks; I don't really like hot dogs. It looks like it makes a massive amount, which is good. Leftovers for Sally to take to lunch.

We're having this with dark rye bread and baked apples with whip cream for dinner tonight.

Sorry for the delay ladies. Had to run to the store, get a newspaper, and make my Flavia!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Send your Baba's recipe. I LOVE popovers and yorkshire pudding, but have never made it. Do you have to use metal pans? I have stoneware muffin tins. Would those work?
    Ask and ye shall receive. I use metal non-stick pans. It's so simple a child could do it. That's why I'm confused why it's not working for me

Baba's Popovers
    ------------------
    4 eggs (large)
    4 tsp. sugar
    1/2 C oil
    1/4 C water
    1 C flour
    1/4 tsp salt

Pre-heat oven to 425. Mix ingredients and pour into well-greased muffin tins. I mixed the eggs, sugar, and salt. Gradually added the flour and water and lastly drizzled in the oil. Bake for 15-20 mins until brown.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    ...I wouldn't mind if you posted the Cornish Hen recipe; I love Rock Cornish Hens and just forget about making them. I'm guessing that you can just use a normal oven to make these dishes and don't need a toaster oven.
    I would think a regular oven would also work. I thought toaster ovens were only for like toasting and melting cheese

Roasted Lemon Rosemary Cornish Hens
    -------------------------------------

2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
    1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
    1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
    2 small Cornish hens (about 1 lb each)
    half lemon cut into 4 wedges
    2 tb butter, melted

- In small bowl, mix together rosemary, lemon rind, salt and paper. Set aside.

- Remove giblets from hens (save for another use). Rinse and pat hens dry. Using fingers, gently loosen skin over breasts to create pockets; spread rosemary mixture under skin to cover breasts.

-Insert 2 lemon wedges into each cavity. Tuck wings under back; tie legs together with kitchen string if desired. Brush birds with butter. (make ahead: cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours; add 5 minutes to roasting time).

-Place hens, breast side up, on greased toaster oven broiler pan. Rose in 400F toaster oven until juices run clear. When thigh is pierced 55-60 minutes. Cover with foil if browning too much.

-Transfer to serving platter or plates. Tent with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Makes 2 servings.
    ----------------

ETA.
    We're having this with dark rye bread and baked apples with whip cream for dinner tonight.
    lambikins. I'll be right over. Is 6pm ok?
    Last edited by misskitty; 10-06-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks for the tip MisKitty. I'm going to go look those up.

You all just reminded me I have my crock pot in storage. I'll be sending mr.apple over to dig it out this weekend!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    JLuvs: THIS is in the crockpot, as I type, and the entire apartment smells so wonderful! I couldn't find your onion/mushroom mix at Jewel so I bought some dried mushrooms to add to the onion mix. Also, got some skinless kielbasa (sp.) and used that instead of franks; I don't really like hot dogs. It looks like it makes a massive amount, which is good. Leftovers for Sally to take to lunch.

WEll we are getting some chilly weather and are also painting this weekend, so am doing 15 bean soup in the crockpot tomorrow with a nice meaty hambone that I happen to have. I have to go get the 15 beans, but I'll put potatos in with it and we'll have a great bread with it too. I just hope it doesn't end up tasting like paint as that is what we will be smelling all day and you know how it gets stuck in your nose and affects taste.

So any other 15 bean soup eaters out there? Care to share recipes?

Last night I made ham and asparagus bake. Did I post the recipe? I meant too. It's fabulous and EASY.

I'll go look and if I didn't post it, I will.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Closed Thread