Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    It didn't taste like coconut but it was chopped finely so that's what I thought it was. It was really good actually.

I didn't get a recipe but I just googled "chocolate cake surprise + sauerkraut" and I got a few recipes.

OK, feeling adventurous, Will try the velveeta fudge and the sourkraut cake and report back. Of course I have to put on my trench coat, fedora and black glasses as I must do this experiment in secret. Any whiff that it might be out of the ordinary and my family will run like Freddy Kruger is chasing them. My husband refused to eat mayo cake for years and finally had a piece not knowing what it was and when he found out, he thought it was really good! DUH, been telling you that for years!

Have you ever heard of the mashed potato fudge? I saw that on food network too.

I saw fudge today in the gourmet section of the grocery store and I had to actually force myself to walk on by.

Am going to make pumkin dip with gingersnaps for company this weekend. You use this mix I bought, add canned pumpkin and cream cheese and serve with gingersnaps for the "crackers'. It it out of this world and I wish I knew how to make the spice mix or where I bought it because now I have no clue!

Its very, very good. A sweet dip, not savory. Would probably be good on apple slices if you like apples.

One day soon, I will post my savory green chile cheese cake. This is a huge cake that you use for a dip. You can't cut slices for individuals, so you better be having a large party to make this. But it is SO good. And the first time I made it, no one had any idea it was a cheese cake.

well off to bed. I'll post my ham and asparagus bake tomorrow too. Had it for dinner tonight thinking we'd have leftovers. Hubby ate like he had been in the desert for 40 days. I might be able to salvage a tiny bit for lunch tomorrow.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    Aaarrgghh. I get so hungry coming in this thread. All these recipes look amazing.

We moved several months back but are still in quite a state. My new cooktop and vintage oven are both in the garage. I've been cooking (HA!) on a lousy hot plate, a george foreman grill and a small toaster over with convection. I love the toaster oven and have used it a lot.

Question: My daughter is turning 4 in a few weeks and I want to make her some pink and white marbled cupcakes to frost and take to preschool. Any suggestions on how to cook those in a toaster over. Sorry, I know this is a lame question but I will be very sad if I don't cook these for her. I love to do this sort of special baking for my kids.
    Can you ask to use a friends oven? I'd gladly offer you mine if you were closer.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Does anyone here know how to make souvlaki? I'd want to do it with chicken or beef - I don't eat lamb - and I'm sort of hoping it isn't too difficult. I'd eat nothing but souvlaki for the rest of my life if it were at all feasible.

Amanda! I spent YEARS looking for souvlaki recipes. There was a Greek sandwich shop in my college town, where I had chicken souvlaki for the first time, and it was so divine. I had it other places later, but nothing's been as good as that place.

Good news is, it's not that hard. I've made it, once I figured out how to season the chicken and make the sauce. Most of the tzatziki sauce/dip versions you find on the Internet will work fine for the yogurt sauce -- some variation of yogurt, cucumber, garlic and maybe some dill or lemon juice or mint, according to taste. I grated my cucumber; some will tell you just to chop it, and grating WAS a pain in the ass, but it worked out well. But then, I found a whole big thing of it at Sam's Club, and it tasted about like my college Greek shop's tzatziki tasted. So I haven't made it in a while.

The chicken was even easier.

Aha, I've gone and found the page of notebook paper where I wrote it all down. This is how I've done it, and found it yummy:

2 cups yogurt (plain)
    1 cucumber
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    1 clove garlic
    pepper
    1/4 tsp dill
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp oregano
    cubed chicken
    onion

Mix yogurt, garlic, cucumber, pepper and dill.

Combine the rest -- and here I've got "1/4 tsp salt" so maybe it was just that, and not that plus another teaspoon -- and toss the chicken in it. I'm pretty sure I marinated that for a while, possibly overnight. Then I grilled it on a Foreman grill. Wrap it in a pita, put the tzatziki on it, along with onions, tomatoes and lettuce (if you like) and eat. I was surprised that with just basically olive oil and oregano (plus whatever else I said to add), the chicken tasted just right.

I never figured out how to do the pita like my college Greek place -- they grilled it flat, and I don't really know how.

That's my chicken souvlaki recipe. I think souvlaki done right is the food of the gods, so I'm with you on eating nothing but.

ETA: Oh, wait. I flipped over my page, and I have an alternate recipe on the back, and I'm not sure what I used. I swear I made it one way or the other, but can't remember which. It's not hard to make, but I guess I"m just lazy, because I usually just buy it and haven't made it in a while.

anyway, the alternate recipe is:

For the chicken marinade:
    2 tbsp oregano
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tbsp oil
    OR
    2 lb chicken
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    2 t dried oregano
    salt and pepper
    You can put basil in the marinade.

I'm thinking I probably used either the first one I listed, or the first alternate.

Regarding some other recipes mentioned upthread -- my mother always made me macaroni and cheese in a saucepan, with the noodles, some milk, American cheese and that was it. And that's still how I make it. And Unk, she used to make no-bake cookies ALL the time. I might have to request some next time I visit, now you've reminded me.
    Last edited by roseskid; 10-08-2006 at 12:54 AM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    Question: My daughter is turning 4 in a few weeks and I want to make her some pink and white marbled cupcakes to frost and take to preschool. Any suggestions on how to cook those in a toaster over. Sorry, I know this is a lame question but I will be very sad if I don't cook these for her. I love to do this sort of special baking for my kids.
    Now, I don't know for sure, because I don't even own a toaster oven, but I do know someone who uses the toaster oven for what little baking they do, and it comes out fine. Mom bakes biscuits in hers, and I just called to see, she says she uses the usual temperature and time guidelines. Seems to us the biggest problem will be getting a cupcake pan that fits in there.
    If nothing else, many churches have a kitchen and I bet if you explain the problem, they would let you use it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I want to make her some pink and white marbled cupcakes to frost and take to preschool. Any suggestions on how to cook those in a toaster over. Sorry, I know this is a lame question but I will be very sad if I don't cook these for her. I love to do this sort of special baking for my kids.
    I bake cupcakes in my toaster oven, which is convection too, all the time. I just follow the recipe like its a normal oven and it has always turned out with not problems.

I wish I could be of more help, but I have really done nothing different. The same goes for all cookie, cake, actually any reciepe that I use to do in a normal oven.

ETA: I so agree about the pans thing...my step-dad tracked down a whole bunch for me that work.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Good news is, it's not that hard. I've made it, once I figured out how to season the chicken and make the sauce. Most of the tzatziki sauce/dip versions you find on the Internet will work fine for the yogurt sauce -- some variation of yogurt, cucumber, garlic and maybe some dill or lemon juice or mint, according to taste. I grated my cucumber; some will tell you just to chop it, and grating WAS a pain in the ass, but it worked out well. But then, I found a whole big thing of it at Sam's Club, and it tasted about like my college Greek shop's tzatziki tasted. So I haven't made it in a while.
    My friend thought me how to make Tzatziki. Lucy's recipe is pretty good, mine has a little vinegar added to it. There are many variations, depending how much or little you like garlic. The only suggestion I would make is if you grate your cucumber (which is what I do), make sure you squeeze it really hard to take out as much water from it. It'll make a great thick tzatziki.

Lucy, I think the chicken in a pita is something my kids might actually like, and I know I love the yogurt sauce. Unfortunately, I've never seen it at my Sam's. Is it by the fresh meat section with the other sauces and salsa?
    My questions - do you use fresh or dried oregano and do you just use one package of boneless chicken breasts? I only ask because a tablespoon may be a bit too much oregano for us if it is dried.

Rosiedog, I'm telling ya' our husbands must be clones. Or is it clowns?
    Anyway, my husband used to have sparks flying off of his fork when we'd share TGIFriday's mocha almond fudge pie. Then one day he asked me what mocha was and like a fool I told him (he hates coffee). Honest to God, this was his response "Huh, that's why I don't like it". He's not eaten a bite of it since.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 10-06-2006 at 09:41 AM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Lucy, thank you! I'm sure I'll end up trying both recipes, because really, twice the souvlaki is absolutely fine by me.

Thanks so much!

You're welcome, Amanda, happy to spread the souvlaki love.

Cricketeen, I found the sauce at Sam's where you say, by the fresh meat with other sauces. But actually, it wasn't there last time I looked, so it might not be in every Sam's, sadly. I used dried oregano and one package of chicken breasts, cut up -- I liked the flavor, but then I like a lot of seasoning in my food, so you might try cutting down the oregano and see.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Closed Thread