Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Premium Member
    roseskid - at Barleybone.

The recipe I tried from Paula Deen's magazine has eggs in it. It looked and smelled delicious, but while it seemed like I was putting a ton of cheese in it, it turned out more custard-like and it left me wondering where all that cheese went.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    BTW that is supposed to read "Mr. Bill's No Bake Cookies." Lambi just asked me if it was Mountain Bill's. I had a cat in my lap when I was typing that and didn't want to disturb the poor boy.
    Actually, now that you write it out longhand, Mountain Bill gives it so much more character. "Mountain Bill" cookies; you just may have stumbled upon a great marketing gimmick, Uncklescott! Very John Wayne, don't ya think?
    Last edited by lambikins; 10-05-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Yeah, but you've got to know Mr. Bill to appreciate it. Bill is 74 years old and looks like Captain Kangaroo. He was the first General Manager I worked for when I came to work for this company 13 years ago. He retired a couple of years ago but came back as an asst. manager because he was bored to death. He also is a retired sgt. from the Air Force. The man still works 10 hour days, 5 days a week and runs circles around most of our other managers. I really respect the guy and love him to death.

Yeah, but you've got to know Mr. Bill to appreciate it. Bill is 74 years old and looks like Captain Kangaroo. He was the first General Manager I worked for when I came to work for this company 13 years ago. He retired a couple of years ago but came back as an asst. manager because he was bored to death. He also is a retired sgt. from the Air Force. The man still works 10 hour days, 5 days a week and runs circles around most of our other managers. I really respect the guy and love him to death.
    Mr. Bill most certainly sounds like a man worthy of love and respect. I wish I had a chance to meet him. Making his cookies will be me way of showing him respect.

Since all these old chestnuts of cakes are being remembered, I thought I'd drag out one that was a Super Star of the 1950's: Tomato Soup Spice Cake. Like the other cakes with surprise ingredients, no one can guess what is inside of this.

TOMATO SOUP CAKE

2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 1/3 c. sugar
    4 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. allspice
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    tsp. ground cloves
    c. shortening
    1 can condensed tomato soup
    2 eggs
    c. water
    1 c. raisins

Preheat oven to 350 F.. Grease and flour two 9-inch round
    cake pans or 13 x 9-inch sheet pan. Sift together dry ingredi-
    ents into a large bowl. Add shortening and soup; beat at low
    speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides and bottom of bowl con-
    stantly. Add eggs and water. Beat 2 minutes more, scraping
    bowl frequently. Fold nuts and raisins into batter. Pour
    batter into prepared pans and bake 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand
    in pans 10 minutes; remove and cool on rack. Spread Cream
    Cheese Frosting thickly between layers and top and sides of
    cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting~~ optional
    1 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 Tbsp. butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 box (1 lb.) confectioners
    sugar
    With electric mixer, beat cream cheese with butter and
    vanilla until creamy. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
    Spread on Tomato Soup Cake.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Like I said: the plastic cheese. Good thing I don't work in Velveeta's marketing department.

You are right tho, it IS like silly putty. I wonder if you press some on the Sunday comics if the picture will come off on the cheese?
    Hmmm, sounds like something I might try...
    Does anyone besides me remember "government cheese", meaning the big block of cheese that they used to give away free from time to time? It was actual cheese, pretty good, at least where my friends on WIC used to get it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    I forgot to add the 6 tblsp of cocoa. That's what I get for going from memory. I was just coming back to edit it.

Aha! So the old brain wasn't working off of fried cells.

I like Mountain Bill's cookies. I think you stumbled on a great marketing gimmick!

OK, so I wrote the same thing Lambi did.

But Sgt. Bill's cookies sound good too. Sounds like a great man with a wonderful work ethic.

My old roommates grandmother used to get "government cheese". She always gave it to us as she couldn't eat it. That thing was a BRICK of solid cheese. We used to make fried cheese sticks with it among other things. A wonder we could go to the bathroom as it was like 2 lbs or something.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-05-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Ok... I'm one that has tried the Velveeta and fudge recipe and I have to admit its good...my mom made some last Christmas and I was talking about how good it was and I didn't know what was in it until I had eaten several pieces of it....of course, I'm also one that loves me some Velveeta cheese!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I'll have to share some Velveeta love too. My brother used to make Velveeta and peanut butter sandwiches and I'll have to admit they're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Does interesting mean good, Speedy? I don't like coconut and sauerkraut so I've got to ask...did it taste like coconut or something more vegetable-y?
    It didn't taste like coconut but it was chopped finely so that's what I thought it was. It was really good actually.

I didn't get a recipe but I just googled "chocolate cake surprise + sauerkraut" and I got a few recipes.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Aaarrgghh. I get so hungry coming in this thread. All these recipes look amazing.

We moved several months back but are still in quite a state. My new cooktop and vintage oven are both in the garage. I've been cooking (HA!) on a lousy hot plate, a george foreman grill and a small toaster over with convection. I love the toaster oven and have used it a lot.

Question: My daughter is turning 4 in a few weeks and I want to make her some pink and white marbled cupcakes to frost and take to preschool. Any suggestions on how to cook those in a toaster over. Sorry, I know this is a lame question but I will be very sad if I don't cook these for her. I love to do this sort of special baking for my kids.

Closed Thread