Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Any of you like no bake cookies? I got this recipe from one of our restaurant managers. He had been selling these at his restaurant and the customers love them. I started selling them and I can’t keep them made fast enough. I sell at least 3 dozen a day.

Mt. Bill’s No Bake Cookies
    6 cups sugar
    1 ½ cups milk
    12 oz margarine
    6 tblsp cocoa
    3 running tblsp vanilla
    3 heaping tblsp peanut butter
    8 heaping cups quick oats

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and peanut butter. When peanut butter melts add oats, 2 heaping cups at a time until oats have absorbed all liquid. Scoop mixture out onto sheet pans. I use an ice cream scoop and use the edge of the scoop to level off the cookies. I also use patty paper to place the cookies on. Do not refrigerate. They take about a half hour to set up.
    Yields approx. 32 – 2” cookies.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 10-05-2006 at 06:59 PM.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Any of you like no bake cookies? I got this recipe from one of our restaurant managers. He had been selling these at his restaurant and the customers love them. I started selling them and I can’t keep them made fast enough. I sell at least 3 dozen a day.

Mt. Bill’s No Bake Cookies
    6 cups sugar
    1 ½ cups milk
    12 oz margarine
    3 running tblsp vanilla
    3 heaping tblsp peanut butter
    8 heaping cups quick oats

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and peanut butter. When peanut butter melts add oats, 2 heaping cups at a time until oats have absorbed all liquid. Scoop mixture out onto sheet pans. I use an ice cream scoop and use the edge of the scoop to level off the cookies. I also use patty paper to place the cookies on. Do not refrigerate. They take about a half hour to set up.
    Yields approx. 32 – 2” cookies.

OK, guess what I'm making after dinner?

I remember years ago (reaching way back in the old memory cells. ) a similar recipe that had chocolate in it as well. You melted the chocolate and then add the other ingredients and did the same. They were good too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    OK, guess what I'm making after dinner?

I remember years ago (reaching way back in the old memory cells. ) a similar recipe that had chocolate in it as well. You melted the chocolate and then add the other ingredients and did the same. They were good too.
    I forgot to add the 6 tblsp of cocoa. That's what I get for going from memory. I was just coming back to edit it.

Better than sex cake

After I read about "Chocolate Surprise Cake" it reminded me of this recipe for "Better than Sex Cake" If you are surprised with company, it is quick, and tastes good with ice cream or whipped cream.

6 oz. package semisweet chocolate chips
    3/4 c. chopped pecans
    1 box chocolate cake mix
    4 eggs
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 3.5 oz package of instant chocolate pudding mix
    1 8 oz. container of sour cream

Toss the chocolate chips and the pecans in 1 T. of the dry cake mix. Beat the remaining ingredients together for 3 minutes, then fold in the chips and pecans. Pour into a greased, floured bundt or tube pan and bake 50 minutes at 350F or until cake tests clean with a toothpick. Serves 10

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    "Better than Sex Cake" If you are surprised with company, it is quick, and tastes good with ice cream or whipped cream.
    The things I could say...

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I need some advice. I tried making my Baba's bagel recipe. It's not really for a bagel. It's more like a pop-up or a Yorkshire pudding/muffin thingy. It's usually dry, a bit sweet, and pops up light and fluffy in the oiled muffin tin.
    Lil' misskitty: did you preheat the muffing pans? My first husband was Dutch and he had a "thing" for ALL things popover-y. He'd make the best popovers, cream puffs, eclairs, etc. All the stuff I never wanted to make.

The pan has to go into the oven, heat it until hot, it's then buttered and the batter is poured in. The batter should be pourable, like thick unwhipped cream.

Other that that, I can't think of what went wrong. So, so sorry.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I need some advice. I tried making my Baba's bagel recipe. It's not really for a bagel. It's more like a pop-up or a Yorkshire pudding/muffin thingy. It's usually dry, a bit sweet, and pops up light and fluffy in the oiled muffin tin.

Something went wrong. They taste just fine. They're just not fluffy and didn't rise very high. More like little hockey pucks. The recipe is simple. Just eggs, sugar, oil, water, flour and salt. It doesn't have hot milk like regular Yorkshire pudding recipes do.

Did I overbeat the eggs? I drizzled the oil in last into the batter and then quickly poured it into the muffin cups.

Anyone know what I did wrong? I'd like to make them better so I can bring some to Baba on Sat. Maybe it's my oven?

This reads like a popover recipe. I've used similar ingredients (milk instead of water, no sugar) to make cream puffs. Did you preheat the oven? I know I don't always do that when I cook, and it is most important for popovers. Here's how I've baked them: preheat to 400, put the pan in the oven, raise the temp to 450 for 15 minutes then reduce it to 350 for another 15 minutes. You also must not open the oven door until after the second 15 minutes has elapsed. Don't use egg substitute. When they are done baking, leave them in the oven with the door open for a few minutes so that they cool down slowly - the recipe has no leavening and they use steam to rise, this slow cool down gives the sides a chance to set up and hold a puffy shape.
    Hope that helps.

ETA: Lambi, you hit enter before I did!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

BTW that is supposed to read "Mr. Bill's No Bake Cookies." Lambi just asked me if it was Mountain Bill's. I had a cat in my lap when I was typing that and didn't want to disturb the poor boy.

I am the Yorkshire pudding (popover) queen...seriously. We had it every Sunday for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Try chilling the batter. And yes, the oven must be piping hot.

I looooooove no bake cookies no matter what Bill you name them after.
    Hope kitties are feeling better.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Closed Thread