Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Wow....thanks everyone, and I CAN get Tahini, and wild rice. I actually bring wild rice with me from Canada since it is even more expensive here. I usually get a few looks from the customs guys who think I may be importing seeds...and kind of roll their eyes when they open my suitcase and see the rice inside. They are used to the gringas bringing back their favourite foods from home.

No Miss Kitty not Thanksgiving...I am already preocuppied about Christmas... However, there will be a big gathering of Canadians at a local restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. It should be awesome and here is the menu:

glass of champagne (or other aperitivo of your choice)
    and canapes upon arrival
    --0--

Orange glazed roast turkey with homemade stuffing and gravy

Sliced ham carved off the bone

Mashed potatoes

Caramelized sweet potatoes or yams

Brussel sprouts and green beans

Honey glazed carrots

Cranberry sauce

--0—

Homemade blueberry and apple pie

Pumpkin pie

Fresh fruit salad and whipped cream

--0—

Coffee, tea or herbal infusions

Doxie...I love the idea of those packages.

Thanks again...I am getting lots of good ideas. I am also going to let the "company" (all family) prepare a meal or two. They are actually pretty good that way, so it won't be so overwhelming. Now if I can keep them off my computer........

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Cannoli Cream Filling

8 T cornstarch
    1 cup sugar (or less)
    1 qt milk or Half & Half
    1 t vanilla
    cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon
    , cannoli! I'm lucky enough to live in an Italian town that has amazing bakeries and pasticcerias, so I rarely make cannolis. There is a version other than cream for the filling: ricotta, which I prefer. Mix ricotta with sugar (probably a 3:1 ratio). Just make sure you taste it after each addition of sugar so it's to the sweetness you desire. Add a little vanilla (clear is better). You can add small chocolate chips or do like Lildago and Lambi suggested and dip it in chopped pistachios, chocolate chips or chocolate.

I also recommend doing the filling ahead of time, so the flavours mingle, then filling the shells at the last minute, so they don't get soft on you.

DesertRose, you're lucky. I'd love to just run out and buy cannolis! The ricotta mixture is good too. Do you use powdered sugar or regular?

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    DesertRose, you're lucky. I'd love to just run out and buy cannolis! The ricotta mixture is good too. Do you use powdered sugar or regular?
    I am lucky: I love my city. I use regular sugar in the mix, but I make sure it's well dissolved before adding more if I think it needs it.

With the season of fall here, does anyone have any good recipes for Pumpkin Pie?

Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    With the season of fall here, does anyone have any good recipes for Pumpkin Pie?

Callie: There's nothing like a 'classic' and that classic is Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe, Libby being a canning company.

THIS pie has 114 five star reviews on the Libby site. You'll love it! Simple, uncomplicated and pure. Truly a classic recipe. However, if youi follow the link back to Libby's, they have loads of varieties on this: lowfat, crumb crust, adding fruit, adding nuts. You and your family be the judge; we eat it multiple ways as pumpkin pie is hands down my favourite pie! In fact, pumpkin ANYTHING is a favourite of mine.

LIBBY'S FAMOUS PUMPKIN PIE

Libby's® Famous Pumpkin Pie
    Submitted by: Libby's® Pumpkin
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 114 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
    Yields: 8 servings

"Whether you're hosting a festive party or a casual get-together with friends, our Famous Pumpkin Pie will make entertaining easy!"
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish
    pie crust
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 eggs
    1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S®
    100% Pure Pumpkin
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLE
    ® CARNATION®
    Evaporated Milk

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
    2. Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
    3. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)
    http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/LibbysFmsPmpkinPi.asp
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I like to double the recipe for pumpkin pie, and put it in a 9x13 pan that's been covered with those pie dough rounds you just unpeel and fold out. You buy them in the refrigerated section of the grocery. Double the recipe, fill the pan, and you have nice firm pumpkin pie squares.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I like to double the recipe for pumpkin pie, and put it in a 9x13 pan that's been covered with those pie dough rounds you just unpeel and fold out. You buy them in the refrigerated section of the grocery. Double the recipe, fill the pan, and you have nice firm pumpkin pie squares.
    BRILLIANT IDEA, angelic_one!!!

It never occurred to me to make pumpkin pie in a square pan....d'oh! And what's weird, is that I'm always buying those little pie squares for lunch, and toss half of them out because the bakery that I bought them at destroyed the recipe! Now, thanks to YOU, I can make my own! I love all the various ideas that I pick up from you guys!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

We love your recipe ideas too, lambikins! Ive copied many recipes from this thread. Keep them coming!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Premium Member
    I make this pumpkin pie every year, I found it in a cooking/craft book called The Spirit of Christmas. I used to make the Libby's recipe (which can be found on the back of the can) but everyone seems to like this one better. It has a more creamy texture and the flavor of the eggnog is very subtle, but it adds another nice layer of flavor.

Eggnog Pumpkin Pie

1 can pumpkin
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves*
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups eggnog
    1 9" pie crust using recipe of your choice

*if you don't want to use all those different spices you may substitute 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice

Heat oven to 425F. Beat pumpkin, sugar and eggs until smooth. Slowly stir in eggnog. Pour into prepared crust. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake 35-40 minutes more. Cool completely.

My trick for getting a crisp, flaky (not soggy) bottom crust is to partially bake the crust before adding the filling. Place the rolled out dough in the pan and flute as usual. Prick the bottom and sides of the crust at 1/2 inch intervals; this will preventthe dough from puffing during baking. Press a 12" square of heavy-duty aluminum foil snugly into the bottom and sides of the shell to keep it from shrinking. Place in the upper 1/3 of a heated 425F oven and bake for 6 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 4 minutes. If it does swell, press down gently or prick with a fork. Cool completely before adding filling. I got this from my favorite baking "bible" - The Fannie Farmer Baking Book.

Closed Thread