Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Oh Jedi Master Lambi, you ROCK!!!!

We grew up in Florida, my mom, her parents, their parents, etc., so the eastern coastal region makes sense. I really don't remember her putting anything more than onions in it (besides rice and chicken), but my memory may be skewed. I will have to try this and the burgoo that feeds the more intimate crowd.
    Believe it or not, I may have a pot that I could make Burgoo for at least 100 in.

And my mom used to have one of those big cast iron caldrons. She LOVED to cook outside mostly and used that caldron a LOT.

Have you ever considered writing a book or cookbook? I think you'd be great at it. And with your love of old cooking, I bet it would be very interesting. I have some older cookbooks as well. Will have to PM you sometime to talk about them.

Thanks for the perleau and burgoo info
    I have my mothers big iron wash kettle. It is in the yard with potato vines growing in it.

The wash kettle was used to boil clothes to make them white, and I guess just to get them clean. The kettle, or pot, as we called it, was used for canning and other things, too. I remember watching my grandmother make hominy in it when I was a really little girl.

I've also seen Moonshine being made. They called it White Lightin as well as Moonshine. Lots of people died from drinking some of it that had such ingredients as battery acid or dead rats that had drowned in the mash. Like anything else, it could be done the right way, or the fast, cheap and careless way. Not saying that I intend to make any, just passing on a little of what little I know. lol

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Are we talking about a "double, double, toil, and trouble" type kettle? I'm trying to get a visual.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mine just has straight sides, no lip thing on it like the witches kettle. It has handles on each side and my husband has mentioned making me a tripod thing to hang it on. I plant something in it every year. I'm sure that it's been the object of lots of tool and trouble though.

queenb: Don't you dare touch those furry little creatures! I'ma warning 'ya!
    lamibikins: Thanks for the dancing squirrel! He's so cute.
    prhoshay: I have the something-something left but I ran out of blueberry tea .
    Unklescott: That Derby Pie sounds yummy!

Yes, I've ratatouille with cheese and it is soooo good. I'm not sure if it's a Canuck thingy I don't have a recipe, but here's one I found with lotsa

Cheese Ratatouille Casserole

4 x Bacon, Slices, Diced
    1/2 med Eggplant, *
    1 x Onion, Md, Cut In Wedges
    1 med Zucchini, Sliced
    2/3 cup Wheat Germ
    2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
    2 med Tomatoes, Sliced
    8 oz Tomato Sauce, 1 Cn
    1/4 cup Water
    1 tsp Oregano Leaves, Crushed
    1/2 tsp Marjoram Leaves, Crushed
    1/4 tsp Rosemary Leaves, Crushed
    1/4 tsp Salt

Method :
    * Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Fry the bacon in a large skillet, until almost crisp. Add the eggplant, onion and zucchini. Saute until the eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes. Place half the vegetables in 4 individual casseroles (1 1/2 to 2 cups capacity) and spoon the wheat germ on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with the tomatoes and remaining vegetables. Combine the tomato sauce, water and seasonings then pour the mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until hot.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/sea...?q=ratatouille
    Last edited by misskitty; 09-20-2006 at 01:24 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Sorry I'm double-posting but this recipe was big too. It has a creamy cheese topping! I, of course, would add much more cheese! YUM

Baked Ratatouille with Cheese Custard

FOR RATATOUILLE
    5 tbl Olive oil
    1 1/2 lb Eggplant, (about 1 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 med Onions, chopped fine
    4 lrg Garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 tsp Dried hot red pepper flakes
    1 x Red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 x Yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 x Green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 lb Vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped fine, or a 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped fine
    1 cup Cooked chick-peas, rinsed and drained if canned
    2/3 cup Packed fresh basil leaves, washed well, spun dry, and chopped
    2/3 cup Packed fresh parsley leaves, washed well, spun dry, and chopped
    1/4 tsp Ground allspice
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste

CHEESE CUSTARD
    1/2 stk , (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    1/3 cup All-purpose flour
    2 cup Milk
    1/2 cup Freshly Parmesan, (about 2 ounces)
    3 lrg Egg yolks

Method :
    Make ratatouille: In a 12-inch non-stick skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook half of eggplant, stirring frequently, until golden brown and tender, about 6 minutes.

Transfer cooked eggplant to a 2- to 2 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish. Cook remaining eggplant in 2 tablespoons oil in same manner and add to dish.

In skillet cook onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes in remaining tablespoon oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until onions are softened. Add bell peppers and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in remaining ratatouille ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Season mixture with salt and additional pepper and spoon evenly over eggplant.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Make cheese custard: In a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes and whisk in milk in a stream and salt and pepper to taste. Bring sauce to boil, whisking constantly, and simmer, whisking, 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and remove pan from heat. In a heatproof bowl whisk yolks together and whisk in about one fourth of sauce. Whisk yolk mixture into remaining sauce.
    Spoon custard over ratatouille. Ratatouille may be prepared up to this point 4 hours ahead and chilled, covered.

Bake ratatouille in middle of oven 45 minutes, or until custard is lightly browned. Cool ratatouille 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 4 to 6 as a main course or 8 as a side dish
    http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=16283
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    But, they're in season now, and tasty! I won't be doing the hunting myself, but do hope I get a couple from a buddy.

Specific way to drink moonshine? Put the quart jar in the freezer till it's really cold, then pass it around, is the only tradition I know. Omit the freezer if you're camping.

I've never had cheese in ratatouille either; maybe it's a Canadian thing.
    The only time I've had "White Lightening" or moonshine, it was in a mason jar and room temp and we passed it around. I think it burned all of my stomach lining and my eyes watered like crazy. One sip was enough to convince me to stick with my Budweiser.

Yep, squirrel is in season, want me to get hubby to get some for you too?

Me either on the cheese in ratatouille. That is the only way I will eat eggplant is in rat-tat-a-too-ie as we used to call it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Yes, I've ratatouille with cheese and it is soooo good. I'm not sure if it's a Canuck thingy
    I don't think it's a generally Canuck thing - I've never had it or heard of ratatoille with cheese. Maybe it's a more specifically western Canuck thing, like poutine is a Quebecois thing and cod tongue pie is a Newf thing.

ETA: Oh, look at that adorable furry little face. I don't know how anyone couldn't love squirrels.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I love rat-tat-a-too-ie, too! Those recipes look yummy, Misskitty.

I knew someone who claimed that a broken jar of moonshine ate a hole through her suitcase. I always wondered if that was possible?

A squirrels adorable face can suddenly look evil and conniving when it is climbing up your front-door screen, looking for a way in. It would not go away - scared the bejabbers out of me, just hanging there by its nasty, long, dirty, sharp talons (talons, I tell ya), chattering back as I hollered!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Help....
    I made Chili today in the crock pot and just tasted it and it is WAY TOO HOT!
    Any ideas to cool it down a bit, my little ones will not eat it that way

I even cut the chili powder in half as I used those Chili Style Heinz beans instead of regular chili beans (serves me right for experimenting).
    The recipe calls to add 1/2 cup of red wine 2 hours before serving, but I doubt that will take out the kick.
    ---------------------
    opps....

The only thing I can think of is to make another batch with no hot spices and combine it with this batch. It also might help to hold it in the fridge until tomorrow and let the spice mellow a little. I know that doesn't help you tonight, though.
    Sour cream helps cut the heat while you're eating it, but I wouldn't rely on that with kids.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Closed Thread