Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    You made that yourself, DR? It's absolutely beautiful!
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've always heard that bone-in chicken is moister than boneless. Can you tell a difference with this recipe?
    No because it goes in the soup and you cut it up. Like I said I would adjust oven cook time so you don't overcook it. I normally use the bone in chicken for it but I sometimes have leftover boneless skinless chicken breasts that I throw in. I have never noticed a difference in taste.

DR that cake is beautiful!

DesertRose, that looks awesome! I don't think the flowers on the bottom tier are overkill at all. And great job on those booties! In fact, I could use a little help on my castle cake this weekend.

Desertrose the cake is absolutely adorable.....and your first...I am sooooo impressed..
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

AMAZING cake, DesertRose. And I don't think it matters which fondant you used! No one would dare eat those adorable baby shoes!!

I even got an "order" for another baby shower.
    I can see why! It's really, really cute.

DR, I don't think the flowers were overkill either -- not in the slightest. It's a beautiful cake, and I admire your guts and creativity. It is absolutely perfect. Lildago, does it give you some confidence to see another novice be successful? I hope so, and look forward to seeing yours, too.

YG, I was also thinking prhoshay's comment about boneless chicken being dry, might be because it cooks quicker.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

That cake does look absolutely awesome DesertRose. I make a completely different Chicken Chili from a cookbook called 365 Ways to Cook Chicken by Cheryl Sedaker:

1 cup tomato juice
    1 cup raw cracked wheat (bulgur)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
    4 garlic cloves crushed
    3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
    3 carrots, coarsely chopped
    1 can (14 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes with their juices
    2 cups cooked pinto beans
    3 cups cubed cooked chicken
    1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
    1/3 cup chili powder, mild and/or hot to taste
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Freshly ground black pepper
    12 ounces beer
    Salt

1. In small saucepan, heat tomato juice over medium heat until it boils. Remove from heat and add cracked wheat. Cover and let stand 15 minutes.

2. In large dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft about three minutes. Add celery, carrots, and tomatoes, mashing them with the back of a spoon, with their juices. Cover and cook until celery and carrots are almost tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Add pinto beans, cracked wheat, chicken, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and beer. Simmer partly covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep cracked wheat from sticking. Season with salt to taste.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Bone-in chicken is "supposed " to make a more flavorful richer soup due to the bone marrow that is boiled out during the cooking process. Soup bones anyone?
    DR that cake is wonderful. The added flowers are not overkill at all.

MRD
    That cake is AWESOME! The flowers are not overkill and you did fantastic job on the booties. You sure its your first cake? Looks like you've been doing this for a while.
    Great job.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you so much ladies, and Unklescott. It's not my first "first" cake: i've done the same Baby Einstein Caterpillar as Lildago, but this is a whole different ballgame. Lois, you have about 7 more months to go? By then i'll have forgotten how long it took me to make this one and I might be up for another challenge
    Dago, I'm hopping on a plane right now. Anything for you and your adorable daughter

Closed Thread