Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

SuperBrat=the banana cream pie sounds yummy. I've never made indivudial ones before. So I'll have to try it out. My spelling sucks tonight. Sometimes just have days like that.

Anyway, what I really need from anyone here is a recipe for a type of banana pastry? cake? with a filling of some type and chocolate drizzled on top. Reason being, my DH's birthday is coming up soon...he is very ill and not expected to be here for another... He is from Chicago and said when he was small he would have this dessert there. Thought maybe it was Hispanic in orgion? I just thought I would try to track down a recipe or some type of info so he could have it. I would be willing to have it shipped here or try to make it, I've looked all over the internet looking for something like he described but haven't had any luck. Can anyone help? I would so like to surprise him.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    SuperBrat=the banana cream pie sounds yummy. I've never made indivudial ones before. So I'll have to try it out. My spelling sucks tonight. Sometimes just have days like that.

Anyway, what I really need from anyone here is a recipe for a type of banana pastry? cake? with a filling of some type and chocolate drizzled on top. Reason being, my DH's birthday is coming up soon...he is very ill and not expected to be here for another... He is from Chicago and said when he was small he would have this dessert there. Thought maybe it was Hispanic in orgion? I just thought I would try to track down a recipe or some type of info so he could have it. I would be willing to have it shipped here or try to make it, I've looked all over the internet looking for something like he described but haven't had any luck. Can anyone help? I would so like to surprise him.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your "D.H" (dear husband???) and his poor health. My heart goes out to the two of you.

Regarding the pastry, I live in a Hispanic neighborhood, work with 17 Hispanic men daily, and I've never encounted a Hispanic pastry like you describe.

However, could it be a NAPOLEON??? That used to be very popular about 10-30 years ago and could easily be made by a Hispanic bakery that makes French pastries. We have one of those types a stone's throw from us; it's called Pierre's, of all names, but has a 99% Hispanic cliental. They sell eclairs, napoleons, but also all the wonderful Hispanic treats that I've come to love.

A Napoleon is layers of flaky pastry, like an eclair, with layers of custard between the pastry and then drizzled on top with chocolate. However, unless it was some unusual variant, there's NEVER bananas inside of it.

I couldn't find any photos of a real Napoleon, unfortunately. I did Google and MSN and all that came up is eclairs.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Wow such great recipes everyone!

lambikins: I know what you are talking about...napoleons. Only I get them at the ITALIAN bakery. They are very light, with pastry on the bottom, a vanilla cream filling, pastry on the top and drizzled with white icing and chocolate. They are usually cut in squares. But I'm not sure what they are called there. Any European bakery should have them or a likeness to them I would think.

I haven't been able to find a recipe either. Good Luck livin4reality
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

livin4: I don't know about it being Hispanic in origin... I have never seen something exactly like it at least (I live in L.A. and well, I like to eat. Lol). If he had it in Chicago as a child - well, Chicago has a large Irish population, Greek Orthodox, Polish, I think even some Hungarian. Also German. I'd search those types of 'ethnic cookbooks' for your recipe. (Or call some Chicago bakeries!)

Hope you can find it. So sorry to hear about your husband.

ETA: I did find these recipes... any similar?

http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/Rec...te_strudel.htm

http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/Des...croissants.htm

http://www.nedine.com/Recipe/Dessert...BananaCake.htm

http://pillsburybaking.com/recipe/re...ext=&prevDate=

Last edited by Brandy; 09-15-2006 at 03:07 AM.

lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the kitchen on FORT!

Livin$Reality- and I am sure you could use other flavor combinations! Maybe vanilla pudding with blueberries and/or strawberries... chocolate pudding and strawberries....

Also, a lil bit of my favorite snack/lunch befor i head to school:

Easy microwave cheese roll-ups

What you need!
    -some flour tortilla shells (taco sized, or burrito size... whatever you want)
    -fine shredded cheese (I use a mexican cheese blend i buy from Costco)
    -a can of green mexican salsa (made with tomatio's)

spread some of the green salsa on the tortilla. Liberally spread the shredded cheese over the salsa. Roll up the tortilla. Now, if you dont want a crispy rollup, put the tortilla on a microwave safe plate, and put in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, untill the cheese is melted. If you like a toasted, crispy tortilla... do what I do sometimes: Place it in a George Forman grill untill the cheese melts!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    livin4: I don't know about it being Hispanic in origin... I have never seen something exactly like it at least (I live in L.A. and well, I like to eat. Lol). If he had it in Chicago as a child - well, Chicago has a large Irish population, Greek Orthodox, Polish, I think even some Hungarian. Also German. I'd search those types of 'ethnic cookbooks' for your recipe. (Or call some Chicago bakeries!)

Hope you can find it. So sorry to hear about your husband.

ETA: I did find these recipes... any similar?

http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/Rec...te_strudel.htm

http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/Des...croissants.htm

http://www.nedine.com/Recipe/Dessert...BananaCake.htm

Good Grief, Brandy!! You've just given me and other FoRTer's a Month of Sunday's of extraordinary desserts!!! The second one, with the croissants and bananas is going to be made TONIGHT....I have 100% of the ingredients on hand. I am going to substitute the instant pudding, however, and use canned English custard. My partner is from Scotland and having Bird's English Custard on hand, in tins, is required to have peace in the house. I hope livin4 finds something in all your links to make her hubby happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat
    lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the kitchen on FORT!
    SuperBrat: Your quote is the funniest and coolest thing that's been said to me in a long while! I have a Star War's obsessed friend; she has vanity plates that read YODA and JEDI NYT on her two cars. When I share with her your thoughts, she'll pee in her pants!

Do I "pretty-pretty" please have your permission to use that line in my signature? I think it would go well with Uncle Scott's "crack" line; sorta balance the two out!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Aww you all are so sweet! I knew I could get some answers here at the fort. DH did mention a type of pastry in it so I think it could be a napoleon. Now I have a better idea what he was talking about (thanks guys!) I can come up with something in the kitchen. He misses Chi-town so much, lived there all his life until he moved here (KS) and we met. Now he is too ill to go back. Heck, maybe I'll make him 2 birthday desserts! LOL the other thing he's been missing is italian beef. Roast beef sliced thin and soaked in some spicy stuff on crusty rolls. I know I can find a recipe on that. Living in a big city does have some definate advantages. Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    LOL the other thing he's been missing is italian beef. Roast beef sliced thin and soaked in some spicy stuff on crusty rolls. I know I can find a recipe on that. Living in a big city does have some definate advantages. Thank you everyone!
    livin4: You won't find a better bunch of mates to help you out in a number of arenas than at FoRT.

I've lived in Chicago for more than half of my life and we routinely eat Italian Beef Sandwiches, served with au jus. The "sauce/gravy/juice" is NOT spiced...ever....it's simply the drippings that accompany the roasted beef. Where you get "spice" is if you have the vendor add sliced jalapenos or pickled hot veggies to the sandwich.

However, I did find this really easy recipe for you that intentionally has a seasoned au jus to serve with it. It looks and sounds good! (yummy)

You might want to try this out:

EASY ITALIAN ROAST BEEF SANDWICHES

http://www.recipezaar.com/181883

Easy Italian Roast Beef for Sandwiches (Crockpot) Recipe #181883
    I came up with this after looking at everyone else's recipes and realizing I was missing at least one ingredient for every one I wanted to make. The result was the following and my family loved it.
    by Karen=^..^=
    8 servings
    day 15 min prep
    4 lbs bottom round beef roast
    8 ounces balsamic vinaigrette or olive oil and vinegar dressing
    1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
    italian seasoning

Place roast in crock pot.
    Pour dressing on top and then sprinkle with onion soup mix.
    Place lid on crock pot and cook on low for about 10 hours.
    Remove meat from au jus and shred or slice.
    Place meat back in juices and sprinkle top with Italian seasoning; stir.
    Serve on toasted Kaiser rolls.

Took my NotBetty Crocker (see the "how stupid are you" thread for an explanation) cookbook for a spin this a.m. Made a pineapple upside-down cake. It tastes very good (I know, cake for breakfast :nono - take it to Bill Cosby), but the batter was very runny and when I poured it onto the topping, it merged with the pineapple and I have more of a pineapple jumble cake. My question is, should the batter have been thicker or is there a technique to pouring it on that will make it float on top of the pineapple?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    cricketeen, I should have been at your house. I actually (can't believe I did) eat leftover tuna noodle casserole for breakfast.
    I need to go grocery shopping as we are out of bread, milk and eggs and grits, so nothing I could even remotely make for breakfast and I was extremely lazy.

I do not however reccomend eating leftover tuna noodle casserole for breakfast. Leftover cold pizza is much better.

When I have made pineapple upside down cake, the batter is usually thick.
    Sometimes letting the batter stand for a few minutes can make it thicken up.

Still sounds good. I used to make that for my dad. He and I were the only ones that liked it. So I have not made it in ages.

Paula Deen did a variation on that using muffin tins. She put a slice of pineapple in the bottom of a buttered muffin cup, added the cherry, then topped it with a canned biscuit and then used the pineapple juice and other ingredients (sure you could find it on the food tv website) and poured it over the top.
    I made these for a party and everyone raved about them and couldn't believe they were canned (or what I call Whomp! biscuits) biscuits.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Closed Thread