Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Rosie...if you get a chance, could you post your tuna noodle casserole? I am sure it is a good one, and I have tried many with little satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Lambi-do you get the Betty Crocker newsletter? As I had those same cupcakes in my online newsletter and I thought about posting them, but you beat me too it.
    Yuppers, myrosiedog, I get the Betty Crocker one and 5 others. It's the B.C. one that I use the most, though. They have very fast yet tasty meals ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Have you ever been hungry for something and not know what it was?
    That's my #1 problem in life: Either hungry but clueless as to what I want or craving something and then when I make it, I completely lose my appetite. In both cases, unless my blood sugar is low, I just don't eat; I'll drink a V-8 or just juice. I just can't even force the food down. It's been a sore spot with my husbands; fortunately, Sally could care less. She'll figure that I'll eat when I want to.

I'd also like some good baked apple recipes. Not pies or tarts, but baking the apple itself whole with good stuff added to it, like brown sugar, etc.

We are getting some fantastic apples here and I don't eat 'raw" ones.
    Must rather have baked.
    APPLES!!!! I APPLES!!!!

I can get all Bubba Gump on Apples: Fried Apples, Caramel Apples, Apple Pie, Apple Fritters, Apple Sauce, Baked Apples, Pickled Apples....

When I was younger and fell into the "Themed Kitchen" syndrome, I had an Apple-themed kitchen. Apple tea pot, apple wallpaper, Franciscanware Apple dishes...you get the point. I've since sold off most of it, but kept the antique apple stuff cause it's still cool...and I still like to look at it.

I love baked apples!!! One of my holdovers from above are these cool little ceramic dishes made specifically for baking apples; they have a pole that goes through the middle of the apple and a deep bottom so you can pile on the stuffing, cut into the apple and it doesn't slip and slide out of the bowl.

In Michigan, it's the beginning of our big apple harvest. We have a lot of people who specialize in antique species of apples so you can be supping on an apple created in 1790 for some rich queen or king. They also have great giant apples like Mutsu and Wolf River, which are the size of softballs.

This is my personal recipe and you may not have ANY of the ingredients on hand, myrosiedog, but it sure is a tasty one! The instructions are NOT for my wee baking dishes but a normal application. However, you can also bake individual apples in ramikins or large custard cups.

I had all this stuff left over from a Thanksgiving dinner, 20 years ago, so now I make sure that I have this on hand all Autumn long. I use the dried fruits in Swedish Fruit Soup; cardamom is a staple in my house, plus, the brandy is good in so many other applications!

BEE'S BAKED APPLES

4-Baking Apples such as Northern Spy or Macintosh
    1/2 Cup of Slivered Almonds
    1/2 Cup of Dried Currants AND...
    1/2 Cup of Mixed Dried Fruit, like apricot, prune and cranberries (you can buy this in packets) BOTH CURRANTS AND DRIED FRUIT SOAKED IN 1/2 CUP OF APPLEJACK BRANDY.
    1/2 teaspoon of Cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon of Nutmeg or Mace
    4 Tablespoons of Butter

1) Turn oven to 350 degrees.

2) Butter an 8" x 8" square pan.

1) For each apple, core completely. Take the core out, cut a plug of the core to reinsert into apple bottom. Cut a small strip around the apple so they don't shrink or explode. Place in pan.

2) Drain currants and dried fruit, reserving brandy. Except the butter, mix everything together and stuff into apples. Pour remaining applejack brandy over each apple.

3) Place 1 Tablespoon of butter on top of each apple. Any extra stuffing can be placed between the apples and served with each one.

4) Bake-UNCOVERED-in 350 degree oven for 30-60 minutes; it depends on how large your apples are. Test for tenderness with a fork halfway through the baking times. It usually averages 45 minutes but I've been fooled before, only to discover apple sauce, instead!

5) Serve immediately with spiced whipped cream, warm custard (a favourite!), or vanilla ice cream.
    Last edited by lambikins; 09-14-2006 at 12:31 PM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

OMG Lambi...you have just made my hubby a happy man! I can get all that stuff except maybe the Applejack Brandy. Excuse my ignorance, but is that a brand name, and will apple brandy, or something else substitute for it. This weekend is a big party down here...diez y ocho, (like American 4th of July) and there will be huge BBQ's. I am definitely making those apples.

Right now I can get Pink Ladies, Gala, Red Delicious, and Grannysmiths. Which do you think would be best?

Lambikins, if you were my neighbor, I'd be hanging out on my sidewalk each day just enjoying the aromas emanating from your kitchen (but not in a stalky way)!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    OMG Lambi...you have just made my hubby a happy man! I can get all that stuff except maybe the Applejack Brandy. Excuse my ignorance, but is that a brand name, and will apple brandy, or something else substitute for it. This weekend is a big party down here...diez y ocho, (like American 4th of July) and there will be huge BBQ's. I am definitely making those apples.

Right now I can get Pink Ladies, Gala, Red Delicious, and Grannysmiths. Which do you think would be best?
    I'm all about making people happy through food, so I'm so glad that you'll have an even happier hubby this weekend!

I get Applejack Brandy at my local liquor store; I'm sure that you could also use HARD cider (meaning with an alcohol content) with great results. If you can manage to find the real Applejack Brandy, take 1.5 ounces of it, add 1 ounce of pink grapefruit juice, shake and serve over ice. Wow!!!

For apples, I'd use definitely use the Pink Ladies! They have a natural champagne taste to them so they'd compliment the flavours beautifully! And never EVER cook with Red Delicious! ugh....my least favourite apple, it's only an eating apple...if you can stomach them, which I can't. I get cramps each time I try to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Lambikins, if you were my neighbor, I'd be hanging out on my sidewalk each day just enjoying the aromas emanating from your kitchen (but not in a stalky way)!
    cricketeen: If I found you outside by the sidewalk, I'd invite you inside, make a strong cuppa coffee for you and serve you warm apple crisp, which is what I talked myself into making tonight, since chatting about those darn apples, earlier!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Oh Lambi, that sounds DIVINE and no, I don't have the ingredients, but I can get them. Going to the Farmers Market Sat. morning for more of the huge delicious apples we bought last week which are gone now and I have no idea of the names, being from an orange state and all.

Thanks for the recipe and I have seen those dishes before, will have to get some.

I'm also on my way over for apple crisp and coffee.

I found what I was hungry for: a baked potato. I guess after all that talk yesterday that was what I really wanted and it was SOOOOOOOO good. I did the butter rub on the skins with kosher salt. I don't know what was my favorite. The inside or the skins.

Canuck:

My tuna noodle recipe isn't exact, I never measure on stuff like that, but here is approx. of what I use

1 can albacore tuna drained and flaked
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    2 cups cooked noodles (I use what's on hand. Tonight its elbows)
    1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (what I have on hand)
    1/2-1 cup mayo
    1/2 cup shredded mozzerella or cheddar (again, whats on hand)
    1/4 cup italian bread crumbs

Mix all together, put in a casserole, top with a light layer of more breadcrumbs and bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

Lambi- how do you make your apple crisp? I am not a huge fan of apple pie although my family loves it and I do make it for them.
    But we will all eat apple crisp.

I used to do an apple saute that I served with pork chops that was yummy. I'll have to go get that recipe out, but it was basically sauteing apple slices in butter, brown sugar and spices.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-14-2006 at 02:13 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Oh Lambi, that sounds DIVINE and no, I don't have the ingredients, but I can get them. Going to the Farmers Market Sat. morning for more of the huge delicious apples we bought last week which are gone now and I have no idea of the names, being from an orange state and all.

Thanks for the recipe and I have seen those dishes before, will have to get some.
    I got my little dishes at a thrift store, they look just like THIS:

Nobody knew what they were; they thought that they were those ring holders that you put by the sink...only really BIG ones! I think I paid .50 cents for each one.

I wanted a very yummy but healthy baked apple recipe, which is why I created my own. Yeah, I know that there are tons of recipes that have buttered cake crumbs, gingersnaps, et. al. in their recipes but if I'm going to go 'that' route, I'll make an apple cake, cobbler or crisp. Sometimes, if you have a very starchy meal, you want a light/simple/non-heavy dessert.

I'm also on my way over for apple crisp and coffee.
    It will be ready about 6:30, tonight.

Lambi- how do you make your apple crisp? I am not a huge fan of apple pie although my family loves it and I do make it for them.
    But we will all eat apple crisp.

I used to do an apple saute that I served with pork chops that was yummy. I'll have to go get that recipe out, but it was basically sauteing apple slices in butter, brown sugar and spices.
    myrosiedog: I'm going to have to wait to give you the recipe, because the fool-proof recipe that I worked on for years is at the cottage. I'm just making a simple concoction tonight from a standard recipe that I'll be turning my snooty nose up at but my sweetie and roomie will gobble up. But plenty of ice cream will cover up all sins!

When I get back from grocery shopping, I'll see if I have a sauteed apple recipe for you that uses the aforementioned Apple Jack brandy. It knocks you into another dimension, it's soooooooo good!

Thanks Rosie...will try out your tuna noodle!

One last question lambi: Will Calvados do instead of Applejack brandy? I can get that. I will also look for the cider, but it's not a big thing down here. Now pisco I can get...lol.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Since it's almost Autumn ; I thought I would post a couple of my favorite apple recipes. They're not mine, but I've added them to my collection.

I made the brownies for bake sale once and most of them didn't make it to the table because the workers were buying them.
    My family and I enjoy the bread. We like it with walnuts.

Gala apples work well in these recipes. When you bake the brownies, cover them with foil so it won't brown too much on top before it's cooked through.

Apple Brownies

2/3 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped apples, peeled
    1 cup chopped nuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
    3. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt; stir in apples and nuts.
    4. Spread into a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
    5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
    www.recipezaar.com/75123

Apple Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 cups diced apples
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 325*F (160*C). Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans; set aside.
    2. In medium bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
    3. In mixing bowl beat the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla together, mixing well. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed. Fold in apples and walnuts and spoon into prepared loaf pans.
    4. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tested done when wooden pick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pans before removing to cool on wire racks. Wrap tightly to store.

Makes 2 loaves.
    www.cooksrecipes.com
    Last edited by rt1ky; 09-14-2006 at 03:34 PM.

oh man... reading this thread makes muh tummeh growl. Perhaps all you wonderful folks can help me! I regularly cook at my house (so far my specialty meal is meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravey, and quick-n-easy mini banana cream pies). My mother is no longer allowed to make the mashed potatoes since thwe day she used a Braun hand mixer and made potatoe puree. I use a wire whisk, so i guess mine are really whipped potatoes. First i break up the potatoes (usually 6 medium-large potatoes) with the whisk, then i slowly add app. 3-6 tablespoons of butter, untill melted and the potatoes start to turn creamy. Then i slowly add the milk, pouring a few splashes, and mixing, slowly adding more milk untill i get a desired texture. Finally, i add some fresh cracked black pepper and my secret ingredient: a couple shakes of Johnny's Seasoning.

But what I really REALLY want, is a wonderful twice baked potatoe recipe. I love the potatoes at Billy McHales, a chain restraunt i go to. I know they have bacon, green onions, and cheese. Does somebody have a recipe kind of like this?

And if you're curios, here's my recipe for quick and easy mini banana cream pies:

Ingredients:

~1 small box of Banana Cream flavored Instant Jello Pudding (and all the ingredients to make that. I dont have the box with me, so cant tell ya what. But I am sure it's milk!)
    ~whipped cream (i like the cans. it comes out pretty!)
    ~1 package of 6 mini graham cracker crumb mini pie crusts
    ~1-2 ripe bananas (depending on size and how much you like 'nanas!)

To make:
    1. Follow the instructions of the pudding pack to make the filling.
    2. Slice the banana into thin slices, about 1/4 inch or so thin.
    3. Place 3 slices of the banana in the bottom of each of the mini pie crusts
    4. Fill each pie crust with equal ammounts of pudding. I usually use either a large spoon, or 1/4 cup measuring cup to do this.
    5. Place the remaining banana slices ontop of the pies
    6. Place in the fridge to let them set, or untill ready to serve. I usually place them in a cassaroll dish or something flat.
    7. When ready to serve, top with the whipped cream!

There you have it. A personal banana cream pie that takes less than 15 minutes to make. It serves 6.

My mom would always make these to bring to Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma's house when I was little. It is a very easy recipe to double or whatever amoount you need!

Maybe i shall eventually right down my recipe for ghetto fabulous easy mac n cheese cassarol... (it involves velveta mac n cheese!) ya know, if anybody is interested lol
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Closed Thread