Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    hepcat: Could they possibly be red lentils rather than red beans?

http://waltonfeed.com/self/pic/redlentl.jpg

They cook up as green, nonetheless.

If the beans/lentils are over a year old, give them a pitch. They only cost about .60 cents for a 1 pound bag. Because they continue to dry out with age, if you used them, they could be extra tough or flavourless.
    Hmm, they could be. I'm inclined to pitch them since she gave them to me over a year ago. I already had a supply of beans and these have just been looking pretty in my kitchen for a year.

Thanks!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I gave the fondant a practice run today and it was really easy. I'm only using it on the towers/turrents of the castle. Wilton makes it in colored rolls so all I had to do was mold it around the ice cream cones. Simple and fun. Oh, and I gave it a taste and didn't find it to be "nasty" at all.
    I'm glad it's working out for you, and like Lambi, I want to see pictures. I applaud your initiative to try to something new.

All this talk about baked potatoes reminded me of a recipe I got years ago from a sailing cookbook. (We had friends who took us sailing to Catalina all the time, and I found the greatest cookbook for her that had recipes for cooking in a small galley or on the beach). I thumbed through it and copied the recipes I particularly liked before I gave it to her. It was so long ago, I don't remember the name of it, but here's a baked potato recipe.

Barbecued Potatoes

4 medium baking potatoes
    6 tbsp. butter, melted
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix

A covered bbq grill works best, or potatoes may be baked at home at 400° for 1 hour (<----- I do this all the time).

Wash potatoes, slice in ¼" slices about 3/4 of the way through the potatoes, lengthwise. Spread slices apart and sprinkle with onion soup mix. Drizzle potatoes with melted butter. Wrap in foil and place on hot coals 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.

These are wonderful, easy and get rave reviews everytime. Make sure you talk about how you slaved over a hot oven or bbq for hours.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Barbecued Potatoes

4 medium baking potatoes
    6 tbsp. butter, melted
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix

A covered bbq grill works best, or potatoes may be baked at home at 400° for 1 hour (<----- I do this all the time).

Wash potatoes, slice in ¼" slices about 3/4 of the way through the potatoes, lengthwise. Spread slices apart and sprinkle with onion soup mix. Drizzle potatoes with melted butter. Wrap in foil and place on hot coals 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.

These are wonderful, easy and get rave reviews everytime. Make sure you talk about how you slaved over a hot oven or bbq for hours.
    roseskid: You mentioned that this recipe CAN be made in the oven. Do you still do the aluminium foil? I ask because I've had horrid failure with potatoes cooked in foil.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Hmm, they could be. I'm inclined to pitch them since she gave them to me over a year ago. I already had a supply of beans and these have just been looking pretty in my kitchen for a year.
    Can beans and peas be considered "antiques"? If so, I've followed your school of kitchen decorating; I've had beans, peas and lentils in my grandma's glass canning jars for over 20+ years. They've logged more Frequent Flier Miles with all my moves than some humans. When I see that they've faded, I just shake the jar and move them around a bit. I'm worried if I ever open them: the Curse of the Mummified Beans might get me!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    roseskid: You mentioned that this recipe CAN be made in the oven. Do you still do the aluminium foil? I ask because I've had horrid failure with potatoes cooked in foil.
    Yes, I use the foil, and actually I wrap them twice, because between the juices of the potatoes themselves, and the melted butter, sometimes the juices leak out of the foil and burn in the oven. I've learned to wrap twice to avoid smoke and having to clean the oven. I can't stress enough how good this recipe is, and leftovers are terrific (if for some strange reason you have any).
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna
    bakesale/yard sale was so successful, (the kids really caught on with the baking and frosting) I was able to take the kids to the beach yesterday......we had a blast and still have enough money for our L.A. trip for next month
    Vonna: In case you need some more recipes for a future bake sale, I got these wonderful recipes. I thought of you and the kidlets, immediately.

Dreamny Cream-Filled Cupcakes

Dreamy Cream-Filled Cupcakes
    A pocket of frosting inside chocolate cupcakes makes an indulgent and delicious surprise.

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food cake mix
    Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
    1 1/2 containers (12 oz each) Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting
    1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1 . Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes, using water, oil and eggs. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
    2 . Spoon frosting into corner of resealable heavy-duty food-storage plastic bag. Cut about 1/4 inch off corner of bag. Gently push cut corner of bag into center of cupcake. Squeeze about 2 teaspoons frosting into center of each cupcake for filling, being careful not to split cupcake. Frost tops of cupcakes with remaining frosting.
    3 . Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of each cupcake.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=42401

AUTUMN LEAF CUPCAKES

Autumn Leaf Cupcakes
    Melted chips and a cookie cutter are all you need to create the wow for simply delicious cupcakes.

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food cake mix
    1 container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
    1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
    1/2 cup butterscotch chips, melted

1 . Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes, using water, oil and eggs. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
    2 . Meanwhile, place 12-inch sheet of waxed paper on cookie sheet; mark an 8-inch square on waxed paper. Alternately place spoonfuls of melted chocolate and butterscotch on waxed paper. With small spatula, swirl together for marbled effect, spreading to an 8-inch square. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
    3 . Remove from refrigerator; let stand about 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Use 1 1/2-inch leaf cookie cutter to make 24 leaf cutouts. Carefully remove cutouts from paper with spatula; place on another wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 5 minutes.
    4 . Frost cupcakes; garnish with leaf cutouts.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=41401

MALTED MILK BALL CUPCAKES

Malted Milk Ball Cupcakes
    Get the classic taste of malted milk balls baked into a convenient little cupcake package.

Cupcakes
    1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
    1 cup malted milk balls, coarsely crushed
    1/4 cup natural-flavor malted milk powder
    Malted Milk Frosting
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 cups powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons natural-flavor malted milk powder
    1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
    2 tablespoons milk
    Garnish
    1 2/3 cups malted milk balls, coarsely crushed

1 . Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
    2 . In large bowl, stir together dry cake mix, 1 cup malted milk balls and 1/4 cup malted milk powder. Add water, oil and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
    3 . Bake 21 to 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
    4 . In medium bowl, beat frosting ingredients on medium speed until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with 1 2/3 cups malted milk balls. Store loosely covered.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=35962

S'MORES CUPCAKES

(No photo available)

S'mores Cupcakes
    Enjoy s'more fun with cupcakes packed with the goodies--graham crackers, chocolate candy and marshmallow creme.

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
    Water, oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    4 bars (1.55 oz each) milk chocolate candy, finely chopped
    1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 to 2 teaspoons milk
    1 bar (1.55 oz) milk chocolate candy, if desired
    24 bear-shaped graham crackers, if desired

1 . Heat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
    2 . In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Fold in graham cracker crumbs and chopped chocolate bars. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
    3 . Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
    4 . Remove lid and foil seal from jar of marshmallow creme. Microwave on High 15 to 20 seconds. In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, butter and powdered sugar on low speed until blended. Beat in enough milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make frosting spreadable. Spread over tops of cupcakes. Divide chocolate bar into rectangles. Cut each rectangle diagonally in half and place on top of each cupcake. Top each cupcake with bear-shaped cracker. After frosting has set, store loosely covered at room temperature.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=40768

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

lambikins: aww man! How can I lose weight with you posting such wonderful cupcakes! I love cupcakes! But not malted milk balls. Ewww Never could take those for some reason.

myroseidog: I didn't find any canned okra in the Superstore, but I did find the real thing! In the produce section. Fancy that! But they looked kinda wilty. Aren't they supposed to be crunchier like a pepper? From what I've read, frozen ones don't work. I think I should look for a good canned Gumbo soup or mix.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    lambikins: aww man! How can I lose weight with you posting such wonderful cupcakes! I love cupcakes!
    Tee-Hee, misskitty. Yes, I am the Eee-vil Diet Breaker; so sorry about that. I don't have a problem with that, however, because whenever I make food (whatever it is), if I've been involved with it for more than an hour of prep time, I completely lose my appetite. Sucks BIG TIME when you've been craving something for days, take the time to make it and then ~POOF~ you don't want any part of it. I think my senses and taste buds are just overloaded by the flavours and scents.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty
    myroseidog: I didn't find any canned okra in the Superstore, but I did find the real thing! In the produce section. Fancy that! But they looked kinda wilty. Aren't they supposed to be crunchier like a pepper? From what I've read, frozen ones don't work. I think I should look for a good canned Gumbo soup or mix.
    The okra at our stores are stiff, like banana peppers or jalapenos. If they're wilty, they're too old and icky to use. I don't think they'll stiffen up again, like asparagus will, if you submerge them in water.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'm sticking to pickled okra! I do love gumbo, if it's true Creole recipe, but dealing with the okra is just a hazard that I have to tolerate.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    You definetly want crisp okra, not wilty.

LOVE pickled okra. I love anything pickled (except those nasty pigs feet. EWWW)

Lambi-do you get the Betty Crocker newsletter? As I had those same cupcakes in my online newsletter and I thought about posting them, but you beat me too it.

Have you ever been hungry for something and not know what it was?

I am having that. I look at food I have on hand, recipes and nothing appeals to me. I want something different. Tired of the same old meat and veggie deal every night.

I may just make tuna noodle casserole tonight. Easy and I have everything for it and I have a meeting, so it can go in and everyone eat when they are ready.

I'd also like some good baked apple recipes. Not pies or tarts, but baking the apple itself whole with good stuff added to it, like brown sugar, etc.

We are getting some fantastic apples here and I don't eat 'raw" ones.
    Must rather have baked.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'm with you. Pigs feet are disgusting no matter how they are fixed. I can't believe that people actually enjoy eating all of that slimy fat.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Closed Thread