Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Thanks for posting the recipe Lambikins - It sounds delish - and something my picky 10 yr old might eat; I'll print it off right now.....
    O.K., I'm back - Personally, I like the flavor that comes from a potato that has been baking for just a little too long, you know, the skin that faced the heat gets brown, a little crispy and pulls away from the potato, the potato has a brown cast to it - do you think that would work here? What about just microwaving the taters?
    cricketeenI couldn't bake a potato to save my life, so I went to the Idaho Potato Board and got the very simple directions for baking PERFECT baked potatoes that I included. Previous to that, either the skin was rubbery or the potato wasn't baked or something odd just happened. I've been trouble free since putting potatoes in a cool oven that is heating up to 400 and then leaving them in until they pass the 'fork test'. And by baking them THIS way, you get that marvelous, crisp, crackly skin that you and I adore! I never microwave potatoes because I don't like how they turn mealy...bleh! To me, they're more 'steamed' than baked.

edited to add: This soup, when first made, is thick, and only gets thicker as the starch from the potatoes kicks in. When I reheated it for supper, I added a small amount of regular milk to thin it out. Normally, I have frozen ice cube portions of chicken stock on hand, but we're currently using all the freezer space for normal ice cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Since you are comfortable with tweaking recipes, here is one for roasted potatoes that are easy and good enough for company:

Cube as many cooked and cooled redskin potatoes as desired (I usually estimate 2 per person); toss with just enough olive oil to coat. Toss with jarred sun-dried tomato pesto (This is to your taste, so just eyeball it - the potatoes should have an even coat of red from the pesto). Spread them in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan and roast at 450 for about 40" (turn them at the 20" mark and then keep an eye on them, turning occasionally, until they are as brown as you like).
    I tried this once with basil pesto, but it wasn't nearly as good.
    cricketeen: WOW! I can't wait to try your recipe! With baked salmon and broccoli, it looks to be outstanding! Thanks for trading 'tater recipes!
    Last edited by lambikins; 09-13-2006 at 04:00 PM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I grew up eating stewed okra and tomatos and personally love okra, but eveyrone I know won't eat it unless its fried because of the "slime". (they'll eat gumbo tho, so go figure)

I found the BEST recipe at the farmers market last week. This woman was selling fresh okra. I swear it had to have been picked that morning.

She said: wash and dry well. cut off both ends, put on a cookie sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and a litte garlic powder.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 min. I baked mine about 10 min. longer.

It was DELICIOUS and the picky eaters here liked it as it wasn't slimy.

It was slightly crunchy, kind of like fried without the batter.

Can't wait to make it again. LOVE me some okra.
    myrosiedog: I love okra (Southern Daddy, Northern Mommy) but have never made it.

Question: Doesn't okra have itty-bitty prickles or spines on it? If so, do you scrub them off before you bake this? Our farmer's market sells fresh okra weekly, so I want to make this this coming up weekend, along with cricketeen's tomato pesto potato's.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

It's getting cold out now, so hot soups are sounding marvelous! Thanks lambikins and cricketeen!

myrosiedog: I live too far north for okra. I never see it in the markets. Not that I've been really looking. Maybe we get it canned. Does it come canned? I've only had it in canned gumbo soup.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    It's getting cold out now, so hot soups are sounding marvelous! Thanks lambikins and cricketeen!
    On the cold weather! The high for Monday is supposed to be 58 degrees! (sorry Rattus ) I plan on making my usual soups this year plus new ones so I'll post the recipes as we try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty
    myrosiedog: I live too far north for okra. I never see it in the markets. Not that I've been really looking. Maybe we get it canned. Does it come canned? I've only had it in canned gumbo soup.

Apparently, it does, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

I gave the fondant a practice run today and it was really easy. I'm only using it on the towers/turrents of the castle. Wilton makes it in colored rolls so all I had to do was mold it around the ice cream cones. Simple and fun. Oh, and I gave it a taste and didn't find it to be "nasty" at all.

Ugh, I like okra in gumbo, so I bought some frozen okra recently and steamed it - bad, bad idea. Generally I like all vegetables, but I couldn't gag it down - nor could I ask the family to!

But they're great in gumbo, so I guess any soup or stew that you leave for a long time would soften them up enough.

I have a question - I needed a mason jar recently so I emptied this jar of light orange beans that my sis-in-law left me the last time she moved. I was surprised to find they were actually split peas. The inner "beans" were green, I guess the outside layer of beans had bleached over time. There's probably nothing wrong with the peas themselves, right? I'm not sure what I should do with them.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I gave the fondant a practice run today and it was really easy. I'm only using it on the towers/turrents of the castle. Wilton makes it in colored rolls so all I had to do was mold it around the ice cream cones. Simple and fun. Oh, and I gave it a taste and didn't find it to be "nasty" at all.
    Make sure to take loads of photos, lildago!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    myrosiedog: I love okra (Southern Daddy, Northern Mommy) but have never made it.

Question: Doesn't okra have itty-bitty prickles or spines on it? If so, do you scrub them off before you bake this? Our farmer's market sells fresh okra weekly, so I want to make this this coming up weekend, along with cricketeen's tomato pesto potato's.

It's "fuzzy", but no spines. Even the fuzz isn't that bad, it bakes off.

It's delicious roasted. I have a new favorite.

It' never got above 63 today. I have a roast in the crockpot. it's also rained all day. This Florida girl realized today its going to be COLD here this winter.

I need soup and stew recipes, some duck shoes and nice warm socks.

I had a friend that used to rub his potato skins in oil or butter, then sprinkle them in kosher salt and then bake. CRISPY, salty, GOOD skins as well as the insides. Man, I want baked potatos for dinner now. Instead of my pot roast ones.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I have a question - I needed a mason jar recently so I emptied this jar of light orange beans that my sis-in-law left me the last time she moved. I was surprised to find they were actually split peas. The inner "beans" were green, I guess the outside layer of beans had bleached over time. There's probably nothing wrong with the peas themselves, right? I'm not sure what I should do with them.
    hepcat: Could they possibly be red lentils rather than red beans?

They cook up as green, nonetheless.

If the beans/lentils are over a year old, give them a pitch. They only cost about .60 cents for a 1 pound bag. Because they continue to dry out with age, if you used them, they could be extra tough or flavourless.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I had a friend that used to rub his potato skins in oil or butter, then sprinkle them in kosher salt and then bake. CRISPY, salty, GOOD skins as well as the insides. Man, I want baked potatos for dinner now. Instead of my pot roast ones.
    I read that the salt draws out some of the moisture, making the innards nice and fluffy and for some reason, sweeter.

Here's a method of baking potatoes that I got from my mom; I've never known anyone outside of my family to make them this way (we are all about easy):
    Cut the bakers in half long-wise, rub them all over with oil or butter, sprinkle them with garlic salt (all over). Bake cut-side down on an oiled cookie sheet until the cut side is nice and brown. Maybe 45 minutes. They end up with a slightly sweet background flavor and the skins are soooo good.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Closed Thread