Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    canuckinchile, here's one of our favorites. I usually make one batch with the chocolate and one without.
    lildago, I'm going to a potluck type of thing this weekend and need to bring a dessert. I'm going to try this--WITH the chocolate, of course!!

Ooh, Canuckinchile, I forgot to mention - the pie crust turned out wonderfully. I also flattened it by hand rather than rolling it, so that may have made some difference to the generally tough as boot-leather quality of my crusts. Lambikins, your crust is next on the agenda. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Did they come out ok DesertRose? It sounded quite yummy.
    The zucchini fritters turned out amazing MissKitty. I made a mix of 2 or 3 different recipes on the net and loved it. Here is the tweaked recipe (the original had no feta and lemon zest and had cilantro instead of mint):

Zucchini fritters
    1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium)
    Zest of one lemon (approximately 1 tablespoon)
    1 small shallot, minced or chives
    drops of tabasco
    2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
    crumbled feta
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    Vegetable oil, for frying

Using a box grater or the grating attachment on a food processor, grate the zucchini. Place zucchini in a thin layer on a kitchen (or paper) towel. Cover with another towel, and leave to dry for approximately 30 minutes.

In a bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients, except for the beaten egg. While stirring, add the egg slowly and thoroughly combine. Gently fold in the dried zucchini.

Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the oil, flattening them slightly with the back of a spatula. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crisp. You can also tell when they are cooked by pressing slightly on the surface the fritter should feel like a cooked pancake; firm but with a bit of spring.

Repeat until all the batter is used. Keep warm in a low oven, or serve at room temperature garnished with lemons and a scattering of fresh parsley.

Makes about 12.

Notes
    I used an ice cream scoop to portion the batter.
    I ate them sans condiment, but it would be good with a sweet chili sauce or sour cream.

Yum-mo! My printer is gong to run out of ink! Lildago, those squares look yummy. Glad to know the pie crusts worked out Rattus. I roll them on parchment, and they still are flaky.

The fritters are next on my list. Yippee for the recipe thread!

MRD
    Oh you guys, wish I could go through my computer screen and visit you all. Coming from one who has lived on takeout and sandwiches for about 10 days now, I would die for fritters, pies and cheesecake squares. I don't even know where my pots and pans are at the moment. I do have the microwave working, but we have got to stop eating fast food as its taking a toll.

I did see a restaurant yesterday in our new town called: Fried Green Tomatoes. I am definetly going to be trying that one soon.

At this point, I'd be happy to just make kraft mac and cheese right now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MissKitty
    I'm suppose to take a peach dessert to a potluck. How do you think it would taste to add some peaches to the pineapple???? Would the flavors go?....Is that a lame idea?
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Vonna: I'm sure you could substitute the crushed pineapple with canned peaches allowing for the same amount. And the pineapple juice with peace juice! It should taste just fine!

Or use the second suggestion for cherry coffee cake (below)- only change the canned cherry pie filling to PEACH pie filling!

**I also make this substituting the pineapple for cherry pie filling (21oz tin). But layer it with all batter first, then pie filling, then crumble topping.

That would be YUMMO too!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    MissKitty
    I'm suppose to take a peach dessert to a potluck. How do you think it would taste to add some peaches to the pineapple???? Would the flavors go?....Is that a lame idea?
    Vonna: I'm certainly not the devine Miss Kitty but I make some yummy desserts with peaches & blueberries or peaches and fresh raspberries.

Just another thought. :shrub
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I bought a package of mixed polenta at the grocery store. I'm wanting to make poltena fries, but bake them rather than fry them. I haven't been able to find a recipe for that. I imagine I roll it out, cut it into fries, and spray with Pam. But does it turn brown when I bake it? I have no idea. Has anyone tried doing that?
    Last edited by Marleybone; 08-21-2006 at 06:28 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Can you freeze cream cheese or marscapone?

Hey all, can you freeze cream cheese or marscapone cheese and then use them later in recipes (like making cheesecake or tiramisu)? I ask 'cause I bought a bunch intending to use them for a get together this weekend that has since been cancelled. I'd hate to throw all the ingredients out...

And if you can freeze them, what's the best way to thaw them to use for baking? In the fridge? I'm guessing the microwave is out.

Thanks!

Closed Thread