Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

And thank you, lambikins. I'm printing out both recipes and will use whichever one I have all the ingredients for at home because I really do not feel like going to the grocery store tonight (it looks like rain). I know for a fact that I have Crisco, flour, water and vinegar, but the other contents of my pantry are a little blurry right now. Whichever one doesn't get used tonight I'll use next time, which will be fairly soon as I've promised Mr. Rattus a blueberry pie. Plus I've been getting a hankering to make some chicken pies for the freezer. Ooooh, the things I could do with a good crust recipe. Thanks so much for the help.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    And thank you, lambikins. I'm printing out both recipes and will use whichever one I have all the ingredients for at home because I really do not feel like going to the grocery store tonight (it looks like rain). I know for a fact that I have Crisco, flour, water and vinegar, but the other contents of my pantry are a little blurry right now. Whichever one doesn't get used tonight I'll use next time, which will be fairly soon as I've promised Mr. Rattus a blueberry pie. Plus I've been getting a hankering to make some chicken pies for the freezer. Ooooh, the things I could do with a good crust recipe. Thanks so much for the help.
    No problemo, Rattus. With the addition of food processor's, there's truly no need to fear pie making any longer. It was the entire "cut dough into lumps with opposing knives" thing that bogged down the process for beginners. With a food processor, it's easy/peasy.

Also, when you ultimately find the recipe that you enjoy, Rattus, don't just make pie crust for one pie, make it for several. I'll make an entire flour-bag's worth of crusts, roll them out and freeze them flat. Then, all I have to do when I have a hankering for pie is thaw out a crust and bake it! I'm of the believe of minimalizing mess by making something ONCE and then reaping the harvest for weeks/months to come.

Whichever recipe you chose, I'm sure the tarts will be tempting!

Just a thought: Almonds and almond flavouring are smashing with cherries. Here's a simple crust recipe from a vintage Betty Crocker cookbook that you might want to try for the tarts. It's no-bake, however, so I don't know if this is what you're interested in using.

GRAHAM CRACKER-ALMOND PIE CRUST

1 cup slivered almonds (you can toast them for a nuttier flavour)

1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup sugar, plus

2 tablespoons sugar

7 tablespoons melted butter

1) Set oven to 350 degrees (postion oven rack to second-lowest position).

2) Butter a 9-inch glass pie plate or tart tins.

3) In a food processor coarsley chop the almonds, then add in the graham cracker crumbs and sugar; process until finely ground.

4)Add in the melted butter and process until evenly moistened.

5)Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.

6)Bake until set (about 10-12 minutes) cool completely before filling.

Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    ... I belong to a Foodies site and it's always intrigued me as to just which foods people will take the time to make from scratch and which ones are NEVER considered to be made. ...But what I've noticed is that a lot of these experts learned to make their fave food when they were young, and usually from a beloved grandparent so I'm wondering what factor that has to do with it.
    That is a superb observation, lambikins! I am certainly more willing to bake or cook things from scratch when I can relate a happy experience with it. As you mentioned, learning from my Baba or my Mom. If I see it being made in a class, it's easier to picture than trying to do from a recipe book with no photos. Love cookbooks that show photos of the various steps of things so I know how it's supposed to look! (when it's a difficult or complicated recipe).

Thanks for the great crust recipes people!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I belong to a Foodies site and it's always intrigued me as to just which foods people will take the time to make from scratch and which ones are NEVER considered to be made. There are bread experts that won't bake a pie to save their lives; pasta experts that won't make their own mayo; pyrogie experts that won't make a pizza...and on and on. But what I've noticed is that a lot of these experts learned to make their fave food when they were young, and usually from a beloved grandparent so I'm wondering what factor that has to do with it. My baking and pie making skills come directly from my adored and beloved Grandma; each time I bake I feel her standing beside me, especially when I'm using the same measuring cups and pie tins that she did for the past 80 years.
    Funny you should say that. Making long cooking grits, real mashed potatos, fried green tomatos, fried chicken and pumpkin bread are all things I make from scratch thanks to my grandmother.

Things I don't make from scratch: biscuits (I am terrible at it, and I've tried several recipes and mixes and mine are like Ellie Mae Clampett's.)
    Red sauce for pasta, and pie crusts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What recipe do you use to make fried green tomatoes, myrosiedog? I just sliced some green tomatoes last summer..coated them with flour and fried them and they were awful. Im not doing something right.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    What recipe do you use to make fried green tomatoes, myrosiedog? I just sliced some green tomatoes last summer..coated them with flour and fried them and they were awful. Im not doing something right.
    Whatever recipe you get, angelic_one, I want! Ever since the movie FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, I've wanted to taste these critters so I went on a fried green tomato kick, trying over 10 different recipes.

No matter what I did, and no matter what the recipe, the crust fell off the tomatoes or they turned into slices of grease! I was a 100% failure at this so abandoned it...forever. But I'm willing to give it another go if someone can walk me through it..

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Ok, lambikins! If I get a good recipe, I'll share with you. Please share with me too, if you find a good recipe for fried green tomatoes. Mine were greasy, too..and did not have good flavor.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Ok, lambikins! If I get a good recipe, I'll share with you. Please share with me too, if you find a good recipe for fried green tomatoes. Mine were greasy, too..and did not have good flavor.
    Deal! This one, that I pulled from Recipe Czar got three rave reviews. The only difference that it has that I never did is fry it up in a cast iron skillet. I won't be home at my cottage until next week, but I can certainly try it then. We'll see. I always thought that this and fried catfish would be wonderful together!

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES recipe untried but 3 great reviews

Green Fried Tomatoes #38865
    recipe by snowman

It is one my mother has used and the key was cast iron skillet. So in honor of my mom. (Cast iron skillet required--a must).
    4 servings
    30 minutes 15 mins prep
    2 large green tomatoes (firm)
    3/4 cup flour
    salt (to taste)
    2 eggs
    1/2-1 cup vegetable oil

Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices; chill them.
    Place two eggs into bowl; mix.
    Put flour into bowl.
    Place oil into cast iron skillet and heat.
    Take tomatoes and dip ito egg mix and then into flour (cover both sides with flour) and then into skillet. Cook to golden brown, turning as needed. Add salt to taste as cooking. Keep on platter in oven and serve hot.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/38865

Thanks, lambikins! My next question is..how mature or large should the green tomatoes be? Mine were pretty green..they just tasted kind of bitter after I fried them.

Thanks, lambikins! My next question is..how mature or large should the green tomatoes be? Mine were pretty green..they just tasted kind of bitter after I fried them.
    angelic_one: Bare in mind, this is all research and trial & error that I did; I never ended up making the fried green tomatoes in my "mind"...that is to say, what I thought they should taste like, having never had them before.

In all the various old cookbooks that I looked into, where the tomatoes were inevitably served with a white sauce or gravy, they called for tomatoes that were that delicate state where they are green BUT turning into the yellow-y/pinky hue that eventually leads to red.

Supposedly, the BEST time to use the tomatoes is when they are still green yet definitely showing color; I'm guessing that's because the starch is now being converted to sugar in the tomato.

I experimented for an entire summer on these damn things and never came up with anything that made me happy. But, maybe it's like grits: you could cook them like Emeril but if you did'n't like grits NOTHING would make you enjoy them!

Edited to add: Digging around on the web, I came upon THIS recipe. Looks/sounds good!

Jon’s Southern Green Tomato Sandwich

2 pounds green tomatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 pound sliced bacon, cooked until crisp, reserving 1/3 cup drippings, and drained on paper towels
    8 large slices firm white sandwich bread
    3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled

Photograph by Visual Cuisines

1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    6 4x3-inch pieces French Bread halved horizontally

Preheat broiler. In a small bowl coat 4 tomato slices evenly with cornmeal and season with salt. In a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet heat 1/4 cup reserved bacon drippings over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook tomatoes until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes, transferring them as cooked to paper towels to drain. Coat and cook remaining tomatoes in same manner, using additional drippings if necessary.

On a baking sheet, broil one side of baguette slices about 3 inches from heat until golden Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, basil, lemon juice, and lemon peel in small bowl. Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Make sandwiches by layering, mozzarella, basil, Fried tomatoes, and bacon.

All Jon's recipes
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
    Last edited by lambikins; 08-10-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Closed Thread